MrMarkP37
slobodow

Shooter McGavin was right

MrMarkP37

MrMarkP37

Pro

I will use the first round to define the thesis and introduce my idea. In round two I will show examples for my arguments.

Shooter McGavin: The character from the movie Happy Gilmore
was right: By this I mean that if you view things from his point of view his actions are easily defendible and not really that bad. Making him a complicated bad guy, that could be identified with, which also portrays Happy in a somewhat bad light.

As I said earlier, this will be a four round debate, though I believe three rounds will be more than enough to argue each side. Although con can take any action that he or she wishes, I believe that it might be appropriate to take the first round as an introduction of ideas. That way con can try to disprove my ideas when I present them in round two.
slobodow

Con

i disagree
MrMarkP37

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this challenge.

Let me begin by painting a scenario.

Suppose that Happy Gilmore got onto a hockey team and became very good at the sport. Now suppose that Shooter discovered some bizzare talent of hockey, such as being a good goalie because of double jointedness.
Now suppose that Shooter brought his fans into the sport of hockey and they started to bring a civilized golf-like attitude to the sport. How would Happy react? He'd be pissed off. He would see his sport being turned into something that it isn't and he would be pissed off at Shooter for causing that.
It is completely unfair that Happy cannot see Shooter's point of view.

Next, Shooter's supposed crimes against Happy:
1. The 9th green at 9:00. Every sport has its hazing practices for new players. Golf is not different in this way. It is clear that this was just a playful hazing. Nor was this an uncommon inciident as evidenced by the wry smiles of the other players and even the PR girl who said "Let me guess the old 9th green at 9:00" Happy's reponse to this "I've gotta go kill Shooter McGavin" is a gross overreaction to a harmless hazing.
2. His hatred of Happy's antics. As explained above, Happy brought an element to golf that had never existed before. As a golf purist, Shooter resented the new element to his sport. He felt the same way that Happy might feel if he saw the sport he loved being changed.
3. His buying of Happy's Grandmother's house. This is a clear case of a win-win situation that Shooter created that Happy refused. Happy joined the tour with the sole purpose of getting money so that his grandmother could keep her house. He didn't like golf, which he stated again and again, he only thought he could make money off of it. Shooter, who loved golf, resented this. So he bought the house and offered it completely free of charge if Happy quit the tour. Happy gets what he wants, Shooter gets what he wants. A classic win-win. Instead Happy refuses this generous offer.

4. Making Happy play the ball where it lies. When the structure collapses and the tour director says that he'll have a crew clean it up, this is ridiculous. Shooter correctly points out he had to hit the ball off of a man's foot and it would be unfair if Happy received special treatment. Shooter is absolutely correct in this case.

Now, far from being a bad person, Shooter was actually a good person. As evidenced by his banter with the other pros at the bar scene, he seems to have many friends that he gets along with.

In an interview with a reporter Shooter says the following: "I think the real winner this weekend is the city of Portland. Everytime I come here it gets harder to leave. I think you guys put something in the water. Now if you'll excuse me, I've gotta go play a little golf." (shoots finger-gun and winks)
Shooter is shown as a genial and good-natured guy that is willing to give the city of Portland the credit it deserves.

Shooter was clearly right in his feelings towards Happy and it is indeed easy to see his point of view.
slobodow

Con

Right and wrong are not real, only in peoples mind, there is no true definition of right and wrong.
Im sorry but this whole arguement is baised on a persons definition of right and wrong, dont try to define it for them.
Thanks for making this
MrMarkP37

Pro

My opponent is trying to turn this debate into something it is not. I do not wish to get into a debate about whethe right or wrong exist. I hope that my opponent will come up with actual rebuttals to my valid points in the next round.
slobodow

Con

slobodow forfeited this round.
MrMarkP37

Pro

MrMarkP37 forfeited this round.
slobodow

Con

slobodow forfeited this round.
Posted by Alex 7 years ago
Alex
Slobodow of course we have right and wrong, thats why we have the Christian moral system
Posted by Aric 7 years ago
Aric
*is convinced by pro*
Posted by MrMarkP37 7 years ago
MrMarkP37
Aric, I'm not sure what you mean. The main argument is that either Shooter has a good case for behaving the way he did or he doesn't. If you can prove a case that he isn't justified for why he acted the way he did then let's debate. I wasn't really sure how to word the thesis. If you can come up with a better wording I'll change it and we can debate.
Posted by Aric 7 years ago
Aric
Shooter was a total prick, but since the debate is that he has a point, and not that he has more justified reason to win than Happy, I have no chance of winning. XD
Posted by Volkov 7 years ago
Volkov
I always knew Shooter was right.
Posted by patsox834 7 years ago
patsox834
This. Is. Epic.
Vote Placed by patsox834 7 years ago
patsox834
MrMarkP37slobodowTied
Vote Placed by Levin 7 years ago
Levin
MrMarkP37slobodowTied