brian_eggleston
NickyB

Shops that broadcast Christmas adverts in October must be boycotted.

brian_eggleston

Pro

It's not even Halloween yet and already there are Christmas adverts on the telly. They get earlier and earlier every year. By time Christmas finally arrives, everybody is thoroughly sick and tired of the sight of tinsel and the sound of sleigh bells. The kids are already looking forward to it and traditional celebrations such as Halloween on 31st October and Guy Fawkes' Night on 5th November are getting increasingly overlooked in the premature Yuletide excitement.

Harrods is a prime example of a grasping retailer trying to cash in on Christmas at the earliest opportunity.

http://www.harrods.com...

There are lots of other shops equally guilty as Harrods but I chose that particular store to make an example of because it is owned by that odious creep Mohamed Al Fayed (who is currently under investigation on suspicion of sexually interfering with an underage girl, by the way).

http://news.bbc.co.uk...

So, I'm not shopping in Harrods, or any other shop that puts Christmas adverts on the telly before the beginning of Advent. However, this is a personal choice. Other people may have to shop earlier in order to post gifts abroad in time for Christmas. That said, though, even if your relatives live in a tree house in the wilds of Borneo or are members of an isolated tribe residing deep in the Amazonian jungle, you still don't need to go Christmas shopping in October and, therefore, shops that put adverts on before Halloween must be boycotted in order to teach them a lesson.
NickyB

Con

My opponent is arguing that shops that broadcast Christmas advertisements in October must be boycotted.

"It's not even Halloween yet and already there are Christmas adverts on the telly. They get earlier and earlier every year… Halloween on 31st October and Guy Fawkes' Night on 5th November are getting increasingly overlooked…"

Here my opponent has failed to realize that, while Christmas advertisements are indeed being broadcast earlier and earlier every year, Halloween advertisements are also being broadcast earlier:

http://www.costco.com...

"Harrods is a prime example of a grasping retailer trying to cash in on Christmas at the earliest opportunity."

Due to the fact that I am from the United States, I am unfamiliar with Harrods. In the States, we have a store that (to me) seems rather similar called Nordstrom. Granted that Nordstrom has the same tradition as Harrods due to the fact that they post out Christmas ads and decorations months before the actual holiday, Nordstrom also does the same with Halloween ads and decorations.

"[Harrods] is owned by that odious creep Mohamed Al Fayed…"

This fact is completely irrelevant to my opponent's argument.

"Other people may have to shop earlier in order to post gifts abroad in time for Christmas."

This fact presents information not given in my opponent's original argument. I was not aware that my opponent was referring to Christmas gifts. If in fact this is what my opponent has been referring to all along, then don't stores post ads for Christmas gifts year round? The gift itself may have nothing to do with the Christmas holiday. Take for example an iPod-- this gift, in no way, represents Christmas festivities, so if in fact my opponent is talking about Christmas gifts, then my opponent is in essence saying that stores should not advertise, period.

All this being said, as you get closer to Christmas, stores become more and more crowded with people. To avoid or, at the very least, lessen the rush of people, stores need to post their Christmas advertisements well before the holiday itself.
brian_eggleston

Pro

Many thanks to my opponent for accepting my challenge to support grasping, mendacious retailers' ploy to panic gullible shoppers into parting with their money months before they have to, thus cheapening the whole festive season and spoiling Halloween and Guy Fawkes' Night along the way. Well done!

Whilst the run up to Christmas is when many shops take most of their money, that is not to say that I don't agree with my opponent when he wrote: "Halloween advertisements are also being broadcast earlier".

This is true. These retailing reprobates may lack a sense of propriety, but they don't lack greed. If they are advertising their Christmas tat two and half months before the festivities begin, by the middle of December we can expect to see adverts on the telly for roses, chocolates, romantic short-breaks, lingerie and sex-toys. After all, they don't want us to leave our Valentine's Day shopping to the last minute, do they? The dirty, avaricious b//stards!

By the way, I also agree that my reference to the Egyptian owner of Harrods, Mohamed "Phoney Pharaoh" Al Fayed, was irrelevant – I just wanted to publicise what a scumbag he is to American members who might be tempted to shop in Harrods whilst visiting London! The good news is, incidentally, that due to the credit crunch, he is in hock to his bank to the tune of �780m ($1.365m) and he's likely to go belly up any time now. Ha-ha-ha-ha!

My opponent then wrote:

"I was not aware that my opponent was referring to Christmas gifts. If in fact this is what my opponent has been referring to all along, then don't stores post ads for Christmas gifts year round?"

Sorry if I didn't make myself explicit enough. When I referred to Christmas adverts I meant adverts advertising Christmas gifts. These could be anything from the usual bottles of aftershave through musical teddy bears to pairs of socks or bottles of amyl nitrate through vibrating rabbits to pairs of crutchless panties, although they can be used all year round, they are traditionally bought as Christmas presents.

Finally, my opponent wrote:

"All this being said, as you get closer to Christmas, stores become more and more crowded with people. To avoid or, at the very least, lessen the rush of people, stores need to post their Christmas advertisements."

I've got a better way to avoid the crowds at Christmas. Since I boycott all the stores that put their seasonal adverts on out of season, I generally end up doing my Christmas shopping in the only place that isn't guilty of this heinous crime – my local BP filling station, which is mercifully free from Christmas shoppers, except on Christmas Eve.

Now I know what you are thinking, but last year my five year-old niece was absolutely thrilled with her set of wiper blades while my sister couldn't disguise her delight when she received her can of brake fluid. Well, okay, maybe not, but it's the thought that counts, isn't it?

Happy New Year!
NickyB

Con

Being my last argument, I would like to thank my opponent for such an interesting debate topic.

I would like to point out the fact that in my opponent's last argument, he agreed with two out of my five original arguments, granted his argument about the stores' greed, which I would like to address now:

The theory of the "Invisible Hand". No store, unless it is a non-profit organization, does not serve Adam Smith's theory of the "Invisible Hand". Simply stated, as a store promotes their own wealth, they also stimulate the good of their community. For a more in-depth look into Adam Smith's principle, one could refer to the article below:

I do, as well, understand my opponents reference to Mohamed Al Fayed, and I am very glad to know that the scum of the Earth is slowly but surely being washed away.

As for my opponent's rebuttal to my argument about Christmas gifts, I still do not see how something, unless it is a truly festive gift, can be connected entirely to Christmas. Is this to say that turkey may only be eaten on Thanksgiving? I've had turkey casserole and numerous turkey sandwiches throughout the year, and never once have I felt like I have shamed this glorious American holiday.

I feel that my opponent's last argument is in no way a threat to mine, seeing as how it was entirely sarcastic, so I would like to take this time to encourage everyone to vote for the Con.

Thank you once again brian_eggleston and thank you all for participating in this rather interesting debate.
Posted by TheSkeptic 8 years ago
TheSkeptic
Conduct - TIE: Both were courteous, and PRO was entertaining :)

Spelling and Grammar - PRO

Convincing arguments - CON: PRO failed to refute CON's point about merchandise and the exclusive link to Christmas gifts. CON also showed the economic reason for posting up ads so soon.

Sources - TIE: No side had more or better sources
Posted by my.matryoshka 8 years ago
my.matryoshka
Besides, Halloween isn't even a real holiday...
Posted by my.matryoshka 8 years ago
my.matryoshka
How could one ever get tired of Christmas?!
Posted by KRFournier 8 years ago
KRFournier
Once again, brian_eggleston succeeds in entertaining the viewing public. While a laughed out loud regarding the BP Station Christmas gifts, I simply must be fair in my voting and give the points to the better debator--not simply the more eloquent one.

Conduct: Tie. Pro was polite and entertaining, Con was respectful even to Pro's more sarcastic writings.

Spelling and Grammar: Pro.

Convincing Arguments: Con. Pro was entertaining, but he failed to really refute Con's suggestion that merchandise is not exclusively linked with Christmas gifts.

Sources: Tie.
Posted by KRFournier 8 years ago
KRFournier
Is Guy Fawkes night a tradition that preceeded V for Vendetta (either the movie or graphic novel)?
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 8 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
Sexually interfering? You mean he ****blocked her?
Posted by knick-knack 8 years ago
knick-knack
YES!

I hate Chistmas if it's not in December...

Otherwise I think Christmas is "the most wonderful time of the year."

:D+[
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
brian_egglestonNickyBTied
Vote Placed by NickyB 8 years ago
NickyB
brian_egglestonNickyBTied
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
brian_egglestonNickyBTied
Vote Placed by TheSkeptic 8 years ago
TheSkeptic
brian_egglestonNickyBTied
Vote Placed by innomen 8 years ago
innomen
brian_egglestonNickyBTied
Vote Placed by KRFournier 8 years ago
KRFournier
brian_egglestonNickyBTied