Chamaeleon
Vantrigar

Short Poems Battle

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
Started: 7/19/2011 Category: Arts

Chamaeleon

Pro

I posted this debate about a week ago, but after accepting, my opponent posted nothing, so I'm posting again and asking for a new challenger. This will be a battle of short poems; 16 lines or less. By a line, I do not mean a sentence, I mean a horizontal line of text. These poems must be your own, and I will be checking your work for authenticity.

The 1st round is for accepting the debate, poems begin with the 2nd round. Feel free to tell us anything you want about the poem in single paragraph before or after the poem. Thanks in advance to whoever accepts the debate, and I look forward to reading your poems.
Vantrigar

Con

I accept!
Chamaeleon

Pro

Simple Answers

You who seek one answer to a question
Give credence far too much to a suggestion.

For where some quality a human sees
Are likely many symptoms unperceived.

And lazy minds will find their moral stead
Where carelessly cuts Occam's razor edge.

Explanation:
My first poem is a commentary on the foolishness of man, and how eager we are to claim knowledge and certainty. There is a reference in this work to Occam's razor, with which some of you may be familiar. For those who are not, Occam's is something of a guideline for scientific inquiry. It suggests that, in forming a hypothesis or a theory, factors of an explanation should not be multiplied beyond necessity because each factor of an explanation requires an explanation of its own. Many people have paraphrased this as 'the simplest answer is the right one,' but Occam never says anything about a model being right or wrong, he just proposes a guideline about how to go about testing one. It would be more accurate to paraphrase him as having said 'start with the simplest explanation and go from there.' Hopefully, this helps to bring the meaning out of my poem for you. Thanks for reading.
Vantrigar

Con

Nice poem there chamaeleon, I'll do my best to provide some explanation for mine.

Moved

The moment runs aground as,
Wind-hurried,
The wet wood of memory
Uncharts its growth

Young exotic winds
Inflate the grey and hungry sails
Soon, even the gulls that follow
Have only the wave-life in mind

OK, so obviously the thematic concerns here are youth, change/time and memory. The primary metaphor is of a ship, symbolic of a body or a vehicle of change/time, engaged in a journey that causes it to forget itself, as we all do to some extent or another as we grow older. The exotic winds are the promises of adulthood that drive the change. The moment referred to in the first stanza is representative of youth as memory, being hurried along and slowly but surely forgetting the journey. The gulls (and I'm just guessing here lol), are probably symbolic of those aspects of childhood that are carried forward, but which are then channelled towards different ends (competetiveness, obsession, fear etc) in adulthood.
Chamaeleon

Pro

I like that a lot, Vant. Very sensuous and reminiscent. Here is my next piece, which requires little explanation. I will let the words speak for themselves:

Lover

On the night my lover left, I struck the evening air.
Where before the silence hung, a cry was there.

Now I forget that feeling how I kissed the crescent moon.
Slippery rays have turned those days on end a bit too soon.

But staring into empty space,
I smile to your imagined face

'Til I will lose, upon a sigh
The feeling that you still were my lover.

Vantrigar

Con

Vantrigar forfeited this round.
Chamaeleon

Pro

I'll just leave it at two poems in case Vantrigar still wants to try at the competition.
Vantrigar

Con

Vantrigar forfeited this round.
Posted by jynxx 2 years ago
jynxx
That last comment though. I love poems, and its disappointing that people are forfeiting the rounds! Im sorry Chamaeleon!!
Posted by Chamaeleon 5 years ago
Chamaeleon
Aww c'mon bro! Do you have writer's block? This is the second time someone forfeited on a poetry battle with me. I guess I am just rhythmically intimidating. Check my flo' yo', lo'.
Posted by Chamaeleon 5 years ago
Chamaeleon
By the way, if you bother to search for my poem online, you may find it at The Poet's Sanctuary, where I have posted it under the username Camilli. Another of the poems I plan to post is there as well, but I assure you I am the same person, and will respond to you throuugh my user at the Poet Sanctuary as proof, if you like.
Posted by Chamaeleon 5 years ago
Chamaeleon
Vantrigar, thanks for accepting the debate. You do realize that if you don't say anything for the first round it will count down for the next 2+ days?
Vote Placed by jynxx 2 years ago
jynxx
ChamaeleonVantrigarTied
Reasons for voting decision: They both were good, until con forfeited!!
Vote Placed by phantom 5 years ago
phantom
ChamaeleonVantrigarTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pros first poem slightly edged cons first. I liked the meaning behind them as well. Points go to pro for forfeit.