MrBurns2017
PokemonK4Life

Short jail sentences, rehabilitation sentences and capital punishment instead of todays system

PokemonK4Life has forfeited round #2.

MrBurns2017

Pro

I am for prisoners serving shorter prison sentences, rehabilitation programs and capital punishment.

The context of the argument will be US prison system.

US prisons are somewhat privatized today. They are run to be cheap, which results in bad living conditions, including the food, privacy and amount of guards there are to deal with the prisoners. The sentences in US are long, especially for non-violent drug offences and recidivism is high (around 70%). Also, US has the largest number of incarcerated people in the world.

My solution is to combine rehabilitation programs with shorter sentences. The sentence length would reduce to save the costs of holding each per prisoner, while the rehabilitation programs would insure that the prisoner wont re-offend.

Capital punishment would also play the role of cost saving and recidivism, and make sure individuals who are too dangerous (such as some murderers and child molesters/rapists) arent back into the society.

There is also an ethical solution to the problem that the criminal justice faces. Since I am not a moral authority like some God... I dont know exactly how many years each prisoner should serve, so I adapt the minimalistic approach, which is to give a relatively short sentence instead of a long one. Basically, I reduce the government power in choosing the extent to which to punish the individual.

I want the other side to argue against my proposition of a good or may be ideal solution to the problems the dilemmas jails face.
PokemonK4Life

Con

Hello fellow debaters,

I am excited to be debating this topic for the next few days. So as I am a policy debater by nature I will consider this first speech as more of an acceptance speech and a way to ask question about the the plan text before my 1 NC. To the Aff feel free to spend round two as a constructive. I'm assuming the plan to be "Prisoners serving shorter prison sentences, rehabilitation programs and capital punishment." So here are my questions:

1. Who implements the plan?
2. Where is the plan implemented?
3. How is the rehabilitation center funded?
4. Your plan is not limited to drug crimes, but for other forms of crimes that are not considered as death penalty, what rehab do they do?
5. How is this funded?
4. Why isn't your plan implemented?
5. Through your plan do crime rates go down?
6. Why is limiting government to choose the extent to which to punish an individual good?
7. Can the government assign longer time periods of jail time to worse crimes that to a petty one?
8. What is the decision calculus of someone getting capital punishment?
9. Does manslaughter give the capital punishment?
10. Does indirectly killing someone result in capital punishment?
11. Does telling someone they may be killed and then killing them result in capital punishment?
12. Is it possible for 1 innocent person to die as a result of your plan?
13. What does relatively mean? Does it mean 1 year shorter, 50% shorter, 1 year jail time? Can you give me a little bit more of an insight?
14. What is the decision calculus of how bad a crime is in the world of the Aff?

Note: The Aff has the burden of proof to prove why his/her plan is better than the status quo.

Good luck, and let the games begin!
MrBurns2017

Pro

1. Who implements the plan?
(The punisher) The government

2. Where is the plan implemented?
US

The government

The rehab would choose a program that suits them. The programs would be cheap. They would be offered vocational training or academic programs (high school diplomas or degrees) depending on their offenses.

5. How is this funded?
From the government budget.

4. Why isn't your plan implemented?
It is in certain jails and in certain states. Why it isnt implemented in every jail and in every state.. I dont know. Because of bad politics.

Research shows that it does. Recidivism in US is around 70%. So there isnt even risk of losing money. Some reform must take place to prevent that awful trend. There is a whole documentary on the recidivism rate, but I cant remember the name of it.

Because a government shouldnt have such moral authority to punish a prisoner in a sever way, and in a way that when prisoners are out, they are out as dangerous animals who try to fit back into society.
A person in US can be sent to the toughest prison for being caught having crumbs of weed in his house. A jail where he can get beaten, raped or even killed. A jail that run a tight ship and keeps most of its prisoners for a long time because of some petty drug crime that they committed.

No. It would be better to get rid of them.
Here is the whole logic. Prisoners who are too dangerous should be killed (e.g. serial rapists, same sex rapists, murderers and criminals who harmed children in sever way). Prisoners who can be rehabilitated into society, shouldnt be treated like animals or live in animal jail conditions. A government should only be able to send a prisoner for long sentences if it can provide the prisoner humane environment.

As mentioned before, prisoners who got there for serious crimes.

Yes. If it is first degree murder.

No. There is no justification for that.

No,

Yes. As a result of capital punishment.

10 or 15 years should be the max. A judge can't give you more years than that. If he gives you more years, a capital punishment should be considered.

Okay, here is the management of a prison should be aiming for. To keep a prisoner in jail. It needs to provide him clothing, bed, washing equipment, baths, medical care, reasonable entertainment (radio, tv, books) toilets and feed him, and provide proper security to protect prisoners from one another . A prison that doesnt provide such needs, have more stressed and vibrant individuals. What do you do when prisoners commit crimes inside a prison when they vent their anger? you put them in another jail. Jail inside jail.. solitary. Violence leads to gang violence, too. It is like in the game 'Prison Architect', if you played that game, you are familiar with the management dynamics.

Why does US prison system enters the vicious cycle described? - Because it's system is privatized, and jails run tight ships.
A level of violence that is kept inside prison. Deteriorates prisoners inside. Prisoners go back to prison after they have been inside.. leading to higher cost for the tax payer.. who keeps paying for the 3 million prisoners he already pays annually.

An economy such as US shouldnt have a system that is inferior to the Norwegian system, which doesnt have all those problems. Norway invests in its jails, and rehabilitates people. A country like Portugal doesnt even convicts people for using drugs.