Cooldudebro
LostintheEcho1498

Should 12 Year Olds Play M Rated Games?

Cooldudebro

Pro

First round is for acceptance! Good luck!
LostintheEcho1498

Con

This is an issue (or at least I think so) that is rarely brought up so let me give you some insight into my opinion. I have a step-brother who is in 3rd grade. He plays M rated games and has for several years. He is a special case in that he has anger management issues without the management part. It makes these games a bad combo for several reasons. 1. He is seeing these people do extremely violently acts which only teaches him that this is acceptable. 2. It allows his anger to be shown in the only way he has seen which is violence. It also does not help his dirty mouth. 3. These games are showing warfare as how it was seen it WWI times; glorious and manly. I personally have several relatives who were in Vietnam. War is NOT glorious or awesome or gives you a second chance. War is ugly and usually shows all of the traits in humans that are cruel and plain evil. Now without getting off topic this is what he saw and is continuing to see. Now I personally thought that he was the only one because when I grew up it was go outside or play with the family and video games were just a small past time when no one else was around. This is definitely not the case today. I recently had an experience with boys who were not just his friends and all they did was talk about video games (ALL of them M-rated). This was an eye opener. Almost all kids his age play these extremely profane and violent games. What does that say for how they should behave? How life is? At their age I rarely played a T game once in a while. These KIDS!!! are playing games that show them death, gore, nudity, profane language, and so on. How can we expect the next generation to be anything better than what they are constantly seeing? That moves on to the next subtopic. The parents are more responsible for this than anyone. I know that my stepmother only gives him these games because she does not want to have to deal with him. I am sorry but kind of mentality is that? Oh I don't want to have to raise my kid so I'll let these VIOLENT and OBSCENE games do the raising for me. Now taking a step back I realize this may not be the case for others. The parents may have just given in to the child's want to play with his friends on these violent games or think that it is normal and alright. I assure parents this is NOT an improvement to how kids are growing up. More often kids should be out getting dirty not watching themselves shoot people. Moving on these games also are helping argument just because of how they are rated; M for MATURE! Not M for parent go buy the game so that the 7 year old can play it. The developers are making these games for a mature audience not elementary school kids. To conclude, I hope to make this an eye opener, NOT as a way to bag on parents raising their kids. I realize that today is not the safest world to live in and that kids playing outside is about as rare as the blood moon we just had but there are alternatives to staring at screens. I hope you take this to heart and not to offend.
Cooldudebro

Pro

Rebuttal:

I am sorry about your brother, but there are many other factors other than video games. Think about who he hung around with, how was he raised. All of these are other reasons he is angry. Your brother also may have a mental disease called Intermittent Explosive Disorder (1) Now, I will try to clear up the three reasons why you think video games are effecting him.

"1. He is seeing these people do extremely violently acts which only teaches him that this is acceptable."

This means one of two things. He either knows it's wrong, or his parents messed up big time. Your parents should talk to him and say that those games are just games. He should know the difference between right and wrong. This is should twelve year olds play M rated video games. Not third graders. A study has shown violent and I repeat, VIOLENT video games relieve anger and stress. (2)

"2. It allows his anger to be shown in the only way he has seen which is violence. It also does not help his dirty mouth."

Then you admit he had a dirty mouth before he played video games. It could just be him getting worse. You also have to factor in his friends, movies he watches, his home and school environment, ETC.

"3. These games are showing warfare as how it was seen it WWI times; glorious and manly. I personally have several relatives who were in Vietnam. War is NOT glorious or awesome or gives you a second chance. War is ugly and usually shows all of the traits in humans that are cruel and plain evil."

Hey, I see nothing bad in this. Maybe it will inspire him to fight in the army.

Well, times have changed. I wouldn't call it a bad thing. Hey, how is it wrong for them to play violent video games? I played Call of Duty: World At War when I was about nine. Sure, I blew a few zombies head off, but I have a IQ of 116, and have a girl I am interested in. I can't help it if you had overly-strict parents that wouldn't let you play these games. I am twelve, and I play GTAV, Catherine, and Saints Row, yet, I am not a monster with anger issues, cursing the world for everything. We are debating if twelve year olds should play video games. They are going to be exposed to it anyways, why not in a game. Every game has morals made into it. Give me a few games and I'll tell you the moral of it. Hey if you want to be the overly strict parent saying "rated M video games are the devil" then by all means do. Yet, I can't help but feel sorry for your kids. While I'm going to allow my kids to play rated M games, yours will be excluded. Is it really fair for that to happen? Again, we are doing a debate if twelve year olds should play rated M video games. It seems you have more problems with the ideas of violent video games, rather than the games.

Case 1: Benefits of gaming

There are shown benefits for playing games.

Thank you. I look forward to your rebuttals!

1. http://en.wikipedia.org...

2. http://www.lazygamer.net...

3. http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

LostintheEcho1498

Con

Good points. I am excited for a healthy debate here. Lets get started.

I agree that we should be talking about 12 year olds so I will move past the point but only say that while he is not yet 12, it is still leading to those who will be playing these games when they are 12 by starting earlier. Anyway, let me enlighten you about violent video games and their effects. These games, while I admit can, and I repeat, CAN, help with stress, a quote shows how this works best in my opinion. "Like anything, [videogames are] another activity that can be either positive or negative, depending on how people use it and the state of mind they are in." -Christopher Ferguson. Not to disprove my own statement but this gives and interesting aspect to this. It says specifically how they can help or hinder, based on how they are used. My concern is, are 12 year olds able to use these games to help instead of hinder? In a study(in the very zombie game you mentioned) they told someone to kill as many zombies as possible. They then had them play a game and if they won they got to blast their opponent with an "unpleasant noise". They found that when the ones who had played the violent video game blasted the opponent with the noise, they did so longer. This was also found in the opposite case as well. The other half had been told to protect someone for as long as possible in the zombie game and were found not to blast the noise as long, if even shorter than normal. Now to bring this full circle, can a middle school child make that differentiation or is it even noticeable. To find out I used this from a PBS study:
Our frontal lobes " the parts of the brain important for attention, decision-making and shifting our attention from one thing to another " can get depleted quickly after a period of time, particularly if you are engaged in a highly demanding activity that"s taking up your attention and vigilance. "That"s when the reward pathways run amok and then there is nothing to control them or keep them in check," she said.

"It"s known as a "locked-in syndrome," Sinha said. "Your brain gets hijacked by doing something over and over again, and it can begin to have the same effect as an addiction. "
This is of greater concern for young people because in children and adolescents, the systems of the brain involved in making good choices and helping to shift the mind are still developing.

"They"re not at full capacity to begin with and so they"re likely to have more difficulty than adults," Sinha said.(End of report)

While, Yes, video games can help, kids of this age are still developing and so these games can cause these behaviors to be more influential and addictive. You may have mistaken me when I said I only played a few T games when I was younger as I never have played an M game. As a matter-of-fact I have an xbox 360 I use on a somewhat regular basis to play with friends and even make a few more. I am not saying VIDEO GAME BAD! I am saying that maybe at this age, since they are still developing, they should not be playing these as they may cause problems further down the road or closer in time than they realize.

So far a good debate. Looking forward to your rebuttal and conclusion:)

sources
(http://www.pbs.org...)
(http://www.theguardian.com...)
Cooldudebro

Pro

Cooldudebro forfeited this round.
LostintheEcho1498

Con

Well, I'll take your forfeit as a compliment. Thanks for the debate anyway. It was still fun, if shorter than expected. VOTE FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cooldudebro

Pro

Rebuttal:

Sorry. I have been really busy but here we go.

Wow, almost all your arguments are done in. I barely have anything to rebut. Your whole argument is based on kids, and their choice in a zombie game. Have you ever heard of trollers? People online who love to mess with people, so they do everything to keep them from winning. These are trollers. They are having fun. I see no good effect that the study has in your arguments. Then you argue that our frontal lobes can be damaged by basically focusing. Yet, that would mean that we shouldn't watch movie, play sports, school, ETC because those all demand a lot of attention. This argument can be dismissed easily. So your argument, that if kids play violent video games, they will totally not care about the outside world is in-correct. If it is true, then we should ban our kids from all activities that require heavy attention. I would also like you to see the causes of LID syndrome. No causes on the list are from violent video games! (1) Another link says LID is very rare. (2)

Ladies And, I have proved that:

There are more benefits to playing video games than not playing them

LID is very rare, and can be caused by other activities

LID is not caused by video games

Video games have many benefits, such as making you smarter, and slowing the aging process! (3)

Good luck!

1. http://en.wikipedia.org...

2. http://house.wikia.com...

3. http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
LostintheEcho1498

Con

Alright, since I started on round one and you did not I am going to simply end here to keep it fair. I had just started this and did not realize that most use round one as acceptance and so apologize. Anyway, thanks for the healthy debate and I hope voters keep it fair whether for or against me.
Posted by Jackiechan123 3 years ago
Jackiechan123
Well i am 12 and i play gta 4 sometimes and im not gerting pissed or anything when i was younger (and maybe still now) i was gerting pissed because i placed sonic and is was VERY glitchy and the controls were crappy so it dozent matter because shelter iets a violent game or not if you are not enjoying it you Will get pissed
Posted by LostintheEcho1498 3 years ago
LostintheEcho1498
Just to make sure there is no "lost in translation" problems it is about M rated games specifically and 12 year olds specifically. So not general video games but M rated. Not meant to be snide but I don't want you to get lead on about something else.
Posted by Cooldudebro 3 years ago
Cooldudebro
*Your
Posted by Cooldudebro 3 years ago
Cooldudebro
our arguments are based on general video games. What I get from this argument is you would love to see kids not play them at all.
Posted by LostintheEcho1498 3 years ago
LostintheEcho1498
We shall see. I am interested to see what you come up with.
Posted by Cooldudebro 3 years ago
Cooldudebro
No, your arguments can be destroyed. There are some flaws I see. I'm writing my arguments right now.
Posted by LostintheEcho1498 3 years ago
LostintheEcho1498
oooh okay. I thought you had given up. alright its cool.
Posted by Cooldudebro 3 years ago
Cooldudebro
wait, sorry I am really busy. I'll try to post some arguments maybe tomorrow.