cscool7899
Sparrow24601

Should 6th graders date?

cscool7899

Pro

I believe kids SHOULD date in the 6th grade. As long as they are MATURE enough to handle the situation.
If you liked someone and they liked you back...would you want to wait 3-5 YEARS until it is socially acceptable to date the person you like. Anyway, how do you even
WAIT to date a person? You can't just hold feelings inside of you.
Honestly, if you like a person and they like you back, you should be able to date that person
Sparrow24601

Con

When we examine the issue of 6th graders (or younger) dating, I think it's important to take a step back and first, provide definitions, and then move on to arguments.

SHOULD: Now, I'm choosing to interpret this as "ought to"- that is, they "ought not to date" rather than us enforcing laws/rules stating they "cannot date". There is a difference.
DATE: to go out with someone with whom you are romantically/sexually interested in

Next, why don't we take a look at how this will affect the 6th grader and other parties in a few ways. One, from a logical standpoint, and two, from an ethical standpoint.

First, the logical standpoint.

So I'd like to begin by stating that there are extreme cases of dating. By that I mean incredibly mature 6th graders and incredibly immature adults- so in no way am I able to set absolute rules as to who can date when. The age, obviously, fluctuates depending on the person. That being said, I am taking the "average" 6th grader- not the outlier. First of all, the human brain (more specifically, pre-frontal cortex) does not become fully developed until age 25. [1] Until then, problem-solving skills, critical thinking processes, and rational thinking are all not yet established. Now, while I'm not saying that everyone ought to hold off on dating until age 25, but I am saying that 6th graders are far too young to make important decisions such as these. When one isn't able to "take a step back" so to speak and examine relationships from a logical perspective (which we can infer from the date will most likely occur) it's easy to become infatuated with a person rather than like them for who they are. Furthermore, at 6th grade-middle school, many kids are going through an emotional and fairly volatile time. [2] Social acceptance, popularity, and many other issues are just coming into play and bad break-ups/other emotional complications associated with dating often will influence the child far later into their teenage years.

Next, let's move on to the ethical arguments.

We live in a safe society. Well, it's not perfect, but let's face it: we make an effort to give out children the best upbringing we can. And because we already established that dating as a 6th grader would be both unhealthy for their mind and mentality, what would that say about our society? Because the feelings the child has are irrelevant in this situation. Until they are old enough to make informed, thought-out, and logical decisions, they ought to abstain from engaging in romantic relationships with others... at least, until they're able to handle it.

To sum up: Letting 6th graders date would be unhealthy for their minds and bodies, leading to warped ideas of romantic involvement and increasingly volatile emotions. As a society, we ought to encourage children to wait until they are mature and rational enough until engaging in romantic involvement. Clearly the verdict is clear: 6th graders (and younger) should not date.

[1] http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
[2] http://www.psychologytoday.com...
cscool7899

Pro

cscool7899 forfeited this round.
Sparrow24601

Con

So due to my opponent's forfeit of the previous round, I will post a few more rebuttals.

First, PRO began this debate my stating that "you can't just hold feelings inside of you" directly after stating that "...as long as they are MATURE enough to handle [dating]." Now, I'd like to say a few things. Firstly, yes, you can hold feelings inside of you. I consider this common enough knowledge and feel no need posting sources to prove it. It is a mark of maturity to be able to act without feelings and/or sexual emotions dictating your every move. if a 6th grader can't hold feelings inside of them, then they shouldn't be dating. Like I mentioned in my last arguments, because of the lack of development of the prefrontal cortex (and in essence, lack of critical processing and the maturity to make "good" decisions), dating is not an intelligent decision for a 6th grader. Obviously this means PRO's first argument is self-contradictory.

PRO also mentions "social acceptance"... and I'd like to take a moment to state that social acceptance is irrelevant to this case.

From all the arguments provided, it's clear that 6th graders ought not to date or otherwise involve themselves in romantic relationships. It not only will be dangerous to their mental and psychological health, but also would lead to warped ideas of romantic engagements. As a society, it's our duty to discourage children from dating too early, as it's obvious that such a problem ought not to be supported.
cscool7899

Pro

cscool7899 forfeited this round.
Sparrow24601

Con

Sparrow24601 forfeited this round.
Posted by Dynasty2468 2 years ago
Dynasty2468
Hehe....I don't want to date......