Band-Geek
Pro_Bankshot

Should A Presidential Candidate Have Previous Political Experience?

Band-Geek

Pro

I do not believe that just anybody should be able to enter the presidential election. There are requirements on age and citizenship, but none on political background. This year, Donald Trump, a successful businessman is running for president, having no experience in politics prior to this election. This election decides who our country's leader for the next four years is going to be. We have to be more careful about who we vote for. We need a leader with knowledge on political topics like guns, abortion, drugs, and school, not a businessman who owned a TV show. The future of our country is riding on the election for president, and we need to be extremely careful about the people we let enter the election.
Pro_Bankshot

Con

By posting my argument I am not opinionated on the decision of our president this year, ( Anyone but Trump) so I am not disagreeing with you on that. Yes I see where you are coming from where someone should at least have experience with what they are doing before they try to accomplish it. However if we did come across somebody (Again, not Trump) who truly understands what would be better for this country but had no political experience, why turn them down? Politics is a dirty battle and someone with new ideas, someone who has new values might be better for this country. So not to disappoint, but I'm actually pretty split in my opinion. There might be a time where a generation of the future has to vote for a presidential candidate with barely any political. However, I believe that someone with enough knowledge of our history and laws of this country could potentially be a better candidate than some one who might not be the greatest candidate for president but had political experience. For example, if let's say someone were to become a teacher, who would be a better teacher
1) The new teacher, Understands the topic very well, can teach it for as long as he/she lives; less experience
or
2) The teacher who has been teaching for many years, not exactly teacher material; more experience
It could be argued that teacher number 2 has had more experience teaching with kids, but that does not mean that teacher number 1 is not a great teacher. So now back to the debate. Not that I am specifically saying that politicians with more experience do not know as much as candidates with less experience. My point is, it is completely possible that someone, with no political experience to be a perfect candidate for President.
Band-Geek

Pro

Band-Geek forfeited this round.
Pro_Bankshot

Con

Pro_Bankshot forfeited this round.
Band-Geek

Pro

Band-Geek forfeited this round.
Pro_Bankshot

Con

Pro_Bankshot forfeited this round.