USMCgal625
bella214

Should Abortion Be Banned?

USMCgal625

Pro

No social issue in America since slavery has ever been so divisive as that of abortion. No issue brings out so much passion and hatred of the other side. Any court decisions related to abortion regularly bring protestors from both sides. Polls show Americans are split almost evenly on the issue. The issue has been recharged under the Bush administration. In Bush's first term, Congress passed a bill making third trimester abortions, or "partial birth abortions", illegal. Many of President Bush's judicial nominations have been thwarted by the Democrats usually for one reason and one reason only -- their stance on Roe vs. Wade, the controversial court decision that first made abortion legal. Which side is right? Are there any shades of gray in this dispute?

Yes! It should!!!

Abortion is a form of murder and demeans the value of human life. When a pregnant women feels a kick in her belly, she doesn't say "Oh, the fetus kicked" or "Oh, the mass of cells that hasn't become a person kicked", she says "The baby kicked." Yes, after conception you have a real human being waiting to enter the world. Why should taking someone's life when they're in the womb be any different than taking their life when they're a baby in the crib? Pro-choice advocates claim this isn't a real baby only to justify their wrong acts in their own minds. Even if you don't believe abortion is murder, it still demeans the value of human life, since women can so callously stomp out a living being simply because they're inconvenienced.

Other birth control is readily available; thus, abortion shouldn't be a form of birth control. There are dozens of birth control methods that can keep you from becoming pregnant, including the 100 percent effective one: abstinence. Maybe if abortion wasn't available, people wouldn't be so careless in the first place.

The societal contributions of a potentially valuable human being are wiped out. What would the world be like if the mothers of Abe Lincoln, George Washington, or Thomas Edison had had an abortion? Just maybe a woman has become pregnant despite all birth control attempts because the child is destined to do something great.

Women who have abortions often suffer major psychological damage from the experience along with, in some cases, the father of the child. Many women who have abortion in their younger years end up living the rest of their lives in perpetual guilt. Even if that women doesn't consider it murder at the time, that may change as she matures. Even Jane Roe (not her real name), the original woman behind the famous court decision, has completely changed her mind on abortion. She filed a petition to have the decision overturned to help relieve the guilt of hundreds of thousands of needless deaths she blames on herself. Also, let's not forget that there are two parents of every aborted child. The father may feel just as guilty. The father may even want the child, but he has no choice if the mother chooses abortion.

The advances of genetic testing may prompt more abortions (to avoid having the non-ideal child). All of us who have or want kids imagine them growing up to be doctors, senators, sports stars, or whatever. But what would you do if you knew the child would have Down's Syndrome? What would you do if you knew the child would have an intelligence level lower than that required to enter public school? What if the child had a strong risk of schizophrenia? Would you still have the child or would you want an abortion? As genetic knowledge continues to grow, we are able to determine more and more about what a child will be like as an adult. Legalized abortion could turn babies into science experiments.

There are many couples who spend years on waiting lists trying to adopt a child. The number of couples out there who cannot have a child of their own for physical reasons are too numerous to count. The waiting list for adopting babies can be 5-10 years or more. Young women in their teens are right to be concerned that they're not ready to effectively raise a child. However, if that is the case, there are plenty of wonderful people out there who are. Not only would you be bringing a valuable life into the world, you'd also be making the dream of a childless couple come true.

The abortion decision is often made by minors or young adults, who don't have the maturity and life experiences to make good decisions. There's a good reason why we don't allow people to drink alcohol, smoke, or drive until they're a certain age. It's because they haven't matured enough to make good, sound decisions. We've all made bad decisions in our younger years that provide us with life experience to make sounder judgment in the future. The one skill that seems to take the longest time to develop is the ability to consider the feelings and needs of someone besides ourselves. Why should such a life or death decision as abortion be made by a person who probably hasn't developed that capacity?

People have the right not to see their tax dollars go to something they find immoral. Abortion is a medical procedure that must be performed by a doctor. The government contributes to many health care institutions such as Healthcare for the Homeless, Planned Parenthood, free clinics, etc. All of us who pay taxes have the right to prevent that money from going to something we consider murder. Currently, the US government fund 60% of all abortions performed in the United States. Do you want your tax dollars being used to kill innocent children?

(Information and statistics from www.balancedpolitics.org)
bella214

Con

It always strikes me as odd that we can judge abortion so harshly, while at the same time admitting that a majority of the children having children aren't ready to be parents.

What we often fail to appreciate is that some of these abortions are the result of a horrific act against a child or woman, rather than her preference. Lets look for example, at a 13 year old girl who was taken advantage of by a family member. Are you honestly proposing stealing this childs innocence, or whats left of it, by allowing her to experience labor. Is she to live with her decision to place a child she bore in someone elses hands and never look back?

I do agree that abortion should be controlled, I cannot accept banning it! You also fail to see the life of a mom of 2 young children, who for medical reasons, cannot carry a child. Perhaps it would kill her? Do we leave 2 young children without a mother because she had no other choice?
USMCgal625

Pro

You aren't kidding when you say that "some" abortions are performed due to rape or incest. In fact only 1.5% of abortions are due to rape and/or incest. Rape and incest are heinous crimes. The woman is totally innocent, but so is the baby concieved through rape. Killing the unborn baby would ammount to punishing her for the crime of her father or rapist. Are we permitted to kill a newborn shild because his or her father happens to be a rapist? In the case of incest, abortion just covers up the sexual abuse and allows the incestuous relationship to continue, whereas continuting the pregnancy exposes the sexual abuse. Planned Parenthood only takes care of the baby, not the real problem. As you put it, abortion would be the "compassionate" decision for a pregnant 13 yr old. Well I can tell you from personal experience. There is nothing compassionate about abortion. **

You also mentioned the case of abortion in order to save the life of the mother. THERE IS NO MEDICAL EVIDENCE TO SUBSTANTIATE THE CLAIM THAT ABORTION IS A RECOGNIZED TREATMENT FOR SAVING A MOTHER'S LIFE!!!! In a Sept 2006 Alan Guttmacher Institute report on why US women have abortions, life of the mother was not even listed as a category because on .045% of all abortions are performed for health reasons. In some actue medical emergencies, such as tubal pregnancy or a cancerous uterus, a treatment may be required that INDIRECTLY kills the developing fetus. IN SUCH CASES THE INTENT IS TO SAVE THE MOTHER, NOT ABORT THE BABY!! We must also recognize that there are two patients involved -- the mother and the child. EVERY POSSIBLE EFFORE MUST BE MADE TO SAVE THEM BOTH. Many times, a pregnancy can be brought to the point where the baby can survive outside the womb.***

** Reardon, David C., et. al., Victims and Victors: Speaking out about their Pregnancies, Abortions, and Children Concieved Through Sexual Assault, Acom Books, June 2006.

*** Finer, L.B., et. al., Reasons US Women Have Abortions, Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, Alan Guttmacher Institute, September 2006.
bella214

Con

Hmmm, I guess it would be better to allow a 13 year old to be humiliated, stripped of her childhood, and forever weighted down by a child she didn't ask for, than to perform a first trimester abortion. In allowing her to become 3, then 6, then 9 months pregnant we are dealing with the problem? Everyone around her whispers about "that poor girl" and "her horrible experience", leaving her hanging her head in shame and you can feel good about that?

And what about child abuse? Is this not an issue here too? You propose completely banning abortion to give the baby rights. Well, when "mommy dearest" tries to drown her baby in the bathtub because she had no other option, all we have is another traumatized, or worse, dead, because we were trying to be compassionate! But hey, at least the poor child had the right to experience whatever miserable experiences it may have to endure, right?

There really isn't a right answer to this issue. I am not pro-life, but I am pro-choice. As I said, this practice should be subject to careful regulation, but by banning abortion completely, we aren't doing these children one better.

I support the fact that there are other options available, besides abortion. How many mothers choose this though? Actually, the best question to ask here is how many mothers don't choose adoption? How many times do you read of a dead infant found in a dumpster? Perhaps if/when we promote "Safe Place For Newborns" more effectively, we can consider a ban on abortion. Until then, banning abortion will undoubtly lead to the children you are trying to protect being mistreated or worse.
USMCgal625

Pro

So I have to ask the question Bella.... have you actually been raped, gotten pregnant, and then had an abortion? For some reason I'm thinking no. Well guess what, I have. I was raped by my cousin when I was fourteen, and guess what. I had an abortion. I have experienced more psychological pain than you can even imagine, and that was before I went to Iraq. So honey, stop pretending you know what the hell you're talking about. That's point number one.

Child Abuse eh?

First and Foremost: Abortion is child abuse. Additionally, there is no evidence that unwanted pregnancies become unwanted and abused children. 91% of all abused children were very much wanted before birth while 90% of those same youngsters were born into happily married couples.*

There has been a 1000% increase in child abuse since the passing of Roe v. Wade.** In fact, parents who have been involved in abortion are more likely to abuse or neglect their future children and spouses.***

Do you realize that there is a waiting list five years long of couples who want to have children but can't , and would kill to adopt that 13 year old's baby. No baby is unwanted. It just isn't always planned/ wanted by the biological parent(s).

Oh and by the way.... 90% of illegal abortions performed prior to 1973 wer done in the same facilities with the same doctors, and the same equipment as the abortions after Roe v. Wade. Only 39 deaths due to abortion were recorded from 1968-1973. Only 9% of all abortions were done in back-alley facilities, and only 1% were self-inflicted. ****

*Lenoski, E.F., Translating Injury Into Preventative Healthcare Services, USC Medical School, 2006.

**Child Abuse: US Department of Health and Human Services, National Center for Child Abuse and Neglect: National Analysis of official Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting; Child Maltreatment 2006, Administration for families, US Department of Health and Human Services, 2006.

*** Nye, P.G., MD, Deeply Damaged (3rd Edition), Victoria:Pioneer Publishing, 2003, p.91.

**** Calderone, Mary. Director of Planned Parenthood, 2006.
bella214

Con

Ok, so you are right in one respect. As far as the statistics go, I don't know them nor do I care. I opriginally started my arguement out the wrong way.

The issue with banning abortion isn't about statistics at all. Actually it is about the right to choose.

It would be just another step towards the destruction of a country we call free, to ban abortion. Who are we to tell another woman that she does not have a choice? What's next? Are we going to argue that birth control should be banned? Maybe the next aruement is forcing people to tie thier tubes after a certain number of children.

Surely certain epidemics, ie: child abuse, abandonment, will increase with an abortion ban. Then America will be forced to look at ways to solve or curb that problem. When we do, slowly other rights will be taken away until we are no different than some of the countries we loath.
Posted by scribener 9 years ago
scribener
Thank you for agreeing with me, goldspurs and kels. It's not my fault it makes you sick to hear that, but if you go read the case itself, I think you'll feel even sicker as you realize how flimsy it is.

What makes me REALLY sick is to think that there are so many people like yourself who support the practice of spraying a developing baby with saline solutions or dismembering it bits and pieces at a time, extracting it in a bloody mess from the woman's now damaged uterus, and stabbing scissors into the base of the baby's skull as it is being born to suck its brains out with a vacuum.

Are you vomiting yet?

It consistently astounds me how these people just keep missing the point again and again and again.

WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT A "RIGHT TO CHOOSE." It is not a matter that affects "only you." For God's sake, it is about the life of a child (therefore, NOT only about you, as you suppose) as well as all those children who have needlessly and violently died from abortion.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
"AND if it weren't for certain disrespectful pigs, sorry I mean men, and their need to "spread their seeds" to everything in a skirt, there wouldn't be a problem."
I'm sorry but you can't always put the blame on a man, besides cases of rape , a woman must accept just as much responsibility for a pregnancy as a man. Like Goldspurs said , " takes two to tango."
Posted by goldspurs 9 years ago
goldspurs
"As Women we must do everything in our power to stop Washington law makers (whom, might I add, are mostly Men) from raping us of our right to choose"

You do know that just as many women support Pro-life as men? Just thought I should tell you that before you make more of a fool of yourself.

Takes two to tango hunny. I truely hope you don't really believe this ridiculous statement.
Posted by molly.sandiego 9 years ago
molly.sandiego
Bella, I voted for you because of your last statement- the only one that really mattered in the entire debate. As Women we must do everything in our power to stop Washington law makers (whom, might I add, are mostly Men) from raping us of our right to choose. I will never accept the idea that ANYONE should make a decision, one that affects only myself, for me. Good job Bella.
Scribener, to say that Roe v Wade is 'the worst legal wording in the history of this country' literally makes me sick. Come talk to me when Female law makers tell you what you can do with your sperm (I'm assuming you are a Male, considering your chauvinism in every comment you make). AND if it weren't for certain disrespectful pigs, sorry I mean men, and their need to "spread their seeds" to everything in a skirt, there wouldn't be a problem.
and no, I'm not a lesbian man-hater, I simply cannot accept male-chauvinism.
Posted by scribener 9 years ago
scribener
So in summary, abortion is not about the "right to choose." Every single thing we as humans do in our lives is about making choices. It's about the lives of millions of babies who have been slaughtered since 1973 because of a ridiculous court ruling that somehow found the right to kill an inconvenient baby before it's born (aka "the right to choose") in the Constitution.

Even liberal lawyers are very uncomfortable with the way Roe v. Wade was established because it's some of the worst legal wording in the history of this country.

If you want to talk about the importance of making choices, why not THINK before you make the choice to have sex and become pregnant?
Posted by scribener 9 years ago
scribener
Ok, what is so hard to understand about this? You liberals just don't get it! You cannot just assume that child abuse and abandonment will increase because you don't like having your precious right to kill taken away.

According to your reasoning, every law in America is taking away from our freedom because they limit what one can legally do. If a man goes out and rapes a woman, he can't just claim "it's my body, my choice; you can't do anything about it," because it is obviously BAD for everyone if that was sanctioned by the government, AND he is involving two people, just like in an abortion (the mother AND the child).

Besides this fact, there are NO other movements like this that I see taking place in our country. Where is this domino effect of rights being taken away that you proclaim?

The way any good society works is through the individuals sacrificing a small freedom of their own for the greater good of the society. By restraining ourselves from running red lights, we make driving safer and better for everyone overall, even if it's an inconvenience at the moment.

The argument here is not about a "freedom;" NOBODY has the right to murder another human being, and all you advocates of abortion care about is your supposed "freedom" to be free from the responsibilities of raising a child because it's inconvenient. If people would just control themselves and not have sex until they're married, instead of sleeping with anybody available like animals, this wouldn't be a problem.

People considered the United States free BEFORE abortion was legalized, and it would be a lot MORE free if babies were given the right to live they deserve.
Posted by USMCgal625 9 years ago
USMCgal625
Thanks guys! Vote for me!
Posted by goldspurs 9 years ago
goldspurs
Even though you are a jarhead you have the best argument so far. ;)
Posted by scribener 9 years ago
scribener
No problem. I like to see that you provide sources as well. Keep up the great work! :) You'll definitely have my vote.
Posted by USMCgal625 9 years ago
USMCgal625
Thanks for your support, Scribner!
Vote Placed by Tatarize 8 years ago
Tatarize
USMCgal625bella214Tied
Vote Placed by VenomousNinja 9 years ago
VenomousNinja
USMCgal625bella214Tied
Vote Placed by debater123 9 years ago
debater123
USMCgal625bella214Tied
Vote Placed by Avalonjohn44 9 years ago
Avalonjohn44
USMCgal625bella214Tied
Vote Placed by scribener 9 years ago
scribener
USMCgal625bella214Tied
Vote Placed by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
USMCgal625bella214Tied
Vote Placed by molly.sandiego 9 years ago
molly.sandiego
USMCgal625bella214Tied
Vote Placed by PreacherFred 9 years ago
PreacherFred
USMCgal625bella214Tied
Vote Placed by sluggerjal 9 years ago
sluggerjal
USMCgal625bella214Tied
Vote Placed by Chob 9 years ago
Chob
USMCgal625bella214Tied