SpentBrass
Goblinrogue

Should Abortion Be Legal

SpentBrass

Con

No. Abortion is murder as it ends the life of a living child. All of you that say abortion is morally sound, tell me this. Is a baby a choice or a child (After conception)?
Goblinrogue

Pro

Thank you to SpentBrass for creating this debate. I will be assuming the Pro position in favor of the legality of abortion. Since my opponent has not specified any formatting guidelines, I will be presenting my arguments and counter-arguments in free form.

To begin with, I would like to respond to my opponent's assertion that, "No, [abortion should not be legal.] Abortion is murder as it ends the life of a living child."

Murder is defined as the unlawful killing of a person. (http://dictionary.reference.com...)

Therefore, by arguing that abortion should not be legal because it is murder, my opponent is essentially just restating his position. In other words, he is saying that abortion should not be legal, because it is not legal. Aside from being easily shown to be false, it is not really an argument. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_the_United_States)

Since abortion is currently legal in many instances, it is incumbent upon my opponent to demonstrate why this should not be the case. He has begun to state a case from morality, in which case I would expect him to elaborate on why he thinks abortion is immoral; why the law should prohibit immoral acts; whether or not all immoral acts should be prohibited by law and, if so, why; if not, which acts should be prohibited and why abortion should fall into this category.

Thanks again for starting this off. I look forward to a lively discussion.
SpentBrass

Con

Great Job. I suppose rather than murder, abortion is more like execution.

I definitely see your point. However, official definition or not, murder, execution, homicide, etc. all mean the ending of a life, and a baby is living about 2 weeks after conception (Or, at least, that's when the heart starts beating). Generally, abortion is performed between 4 and 6 months after conception, counting it as ending a life. I understand that criminal execution is essentially the same, but the baby didn't do anything. The criminal likely committed something like rape, murder, etc. I don't think that ALL immoral acts should be illegal.

You have a very great argument, but my position holds firm.
Goblinrogue

Pro

Goblinrogue forfeited this round.
SpentBrass

Con

SpentBrass forfeited this round.
Goblinrogue

Pro

Goblinrogue forfeited this round.
Posted by illegalcombat 9 months ago
illegalcombat
Are you going to argue that all abortions are murder ? or do you have some exemptions where abortion is not murder ?