Should Abortion be Illegal

Should Abortion be Illegal?

I am taking the Pro on this argument. Here are the rules for my debate
1) provide sources for all arguments and claims
2) the first round is acceptance only, no arguments until the second round
3) if you do not rebuttal claims and/or arguments made from the round prior to your next set of arguments, they cannot be brought up later. I want this to be an organized debate with direct clash in each round.
4) you can bring up new arguments up until the last round, which should be a summary of arguments and claims you believe remain in your favor, rebuttles to new or continuing claims/arguments in the fourth round, and a concluding statement that wraps up your side of the debate. Note that these are not requirements for the final round, but should give you a general idea of what the final round should look like.

Abortion is the right and important way for women. Sometimes, it is not the time for her to be a good mother because she is too young. Another point is that she does not want to have an unwanted baby. If a woman is raped, she sometimes becomes pregnant. She does not want to see that baby. With this situation, shouldn't she have the right to abort the fetus?

Thank you for accepting my challenge. I was hoping you would see that the first round is supposed to be acceptance only, but nevertheless let us get started.
For my rebuttal I am not going to cite sources since your arguments are based on opinion/theory.
First you say that sometimes a mother is too young to have a child. "Too young" is not a valid argument for multiple reasons. The first reason is that there are alternatives to aborting children due to the mothers age.
-family members could help support the child or even take full responsibility if that is a viable option
-the mother could put the child up for adoption
-the responsibility of having a child could and should be shared by the father as well if that is a viable option. In fact the state will hold the father responsible for the child in most scenarios
The second reason is that "too young" is not a clear standard. If you mean underage (18 or younger) then I agree it is too young to be having a child, but that is an opinion. It is completely possible for an underage girl to have a child. Being "too young" does not excuse her from taking responsibility for her actions.

Next you say that sometimes the mother does not want the baby. I find this a moot point so to emphasize why it is not at all an argument I say this: Hitler did not want Jews alive, but that does not excuse him from genocide.

Finally you say that if a woman is raped and does not want to see the baby that she should have a right to kill it. This is wrong for multiple reasons
1) there are alternatives to abortion, as mentioned in rebuttal to your first argument
2) the fetus is a human being, which I will argue after completing this rebuttal
3) I sympathize entirely with victims of rape, but a woman who becomes pregnant, regardless of how it happened, will benefit more from going through with the pregnancy rather than aborting the child. I will also provide evidence for this point.

My first argument is that the fetus is a human being from the moment of conception. This is because an embryo develops chromosomes within hours after fertilization. Therefore, a fetus in the beginning stages of development has the genetic coding of a human being. This makes it a human being!

My second argument is that women will benefit more from going through pregnancy than from aborting the baby.
1) abortion is murder
2) women are at risk when they get an abortion and can suffer from very severe medical problems
3) many women regret having an abortion and can suffer depression from it. Some even commit suicide. The link below is a personal narrative which I hope you take to heart.

My third and final argument is that abortion promotes sexism.
1) The majority of people who provide funding for abortions are male.
2) it encourages men to engage in sexual activity with women but WITHOUT commitment (this is a claim)
(The source I am using for the funding information does not want me to publicly provide his/her personal information. If you would like to contact this source please notify me)

1.The argument against abortion is a moral argument which is subject to personal interpretation so should not be legislated against. Those see it morally allowable to do abortion should be provided with the means to do so & those who don't believe in abortion should have the choice not to have an abortion.

2.Also, a fetus is not legally or scientifically a person or human being so abortion cannot be equated to murder or taking a life since the fetus is not a person nor alive.

3.Some children would have an ' unacceptable quality of life' such as cases where the child would have serious physical handicaps,serious genetic problems, or even serious mental defects. It wouldn't be fair for that child to be born into pain. No parent wants to see their child in pain.

4.There are also social reasons hen people decide to have an abortion for example they may be living in poverty, mother unable to cope with a child or another child. The mother being too young to cope with a child, her family maybe disgraced at the fact that their 15/16 year old daughter is pregnant. This may bring shame onto the family.

Your first argument is incorrect for one reason only: you cannot decide what type of debate abortion is because it can be and has been examined from multiple angles. I provided scientific evidence for why abortion is murder in the last round which can be used to support this point. Also, the source you use for your first argument in the previous round was posted by someone with no credentials whatsoever.

Your second argument has no evidence to support it. However, I do feel the need to delve into this side of the debate more. You claim that the fetus is not a person, but you provide no definition for what a "person" is. I do in the previous round and a person in the context of this debate is a being that has human genetic coding. Since fetuses have this coding hours after conception as provided in my evidence, it IS a human being.

Since you have chosen not to provide evidence to most of your claims, and since you insist on debating from a moral standpoint, I will too. But know that my evidence from the first round will be extended.

Your third claim is that some children will be born with defects and complications. This is true, but because you have chosen to use this as a reason to support abortion, you have already lost the debate. Allow me to explain
1) you say that this should be a moral debate, and I have agreed to debate it from a moral perspective from this round onward (with my evidence from round 2 being completely valid).
2)because this debate is now based upon morality, the debater with the most convincing moral perspective will win
3) I win already. You are saying that it wouldn't be fair if a child is born in pain. But if you justicy abortion using this claim you are also saying that mentally and physically ill children do not have the right to life because of their circumstances. This is morally wrong. Parents of children with down-syndrome, paralysis, and many other afflictions do find it hard to see their child go through pain. But they don't abort their children for it! Your essentially saying that if a child is going to be born deaf, and his mother does not want to watch him grow up without being able to hear music or laughter because it would cause her pain, that she has a right to abort that child.

Finally, you say there are social reasons to get abortions. This is absolutely absurd as an argument. We cannot justify murder because a parent is ashamed that their daughter got pregnant. This encourages the perpetuation of social pressures and bigoted standards society holds women to. To say that because a parent is "disgraced" that their daughter is pregnant makes me wonder what you wiould do if you were faced with the same situation. It is morally wrong to make a women go through a dangerous and potentially harmful procedure because we are socially inconvienenced.

I would like to extend my argument that abortion is sexist and promotes the mistreatment of women.
I would also like to extend my arguments that prove abortions are harmful to women..
I apologize for any grammatical errors. I am typing on a very small phone screen!

Finally, before we continue, I would like to point out that even though I am trying to speak in a very formal way and have a very structured debate, I truly believe that abortion is morally wrong. I have taken into account the effects it has on women, and as a women myself have tried to imagine what it would be like when faced with that choice. But I promote life in every instance I can, and I believe it is everybody's responsibility to do the same.

Whether you agree or not, abortion will always play an active role in our society. Abortion can be a highly miserable experience, to someone else, having a child can be a highly miserable experience. It"s impossible to go by a rule book, when it comes to dealing with an issue, where human lives are at stake. At the end of the day, a mother has every right to decide the next move of her life!

Sometimes life can be really harsh on us. There are times when abortion may appear as the only option for the betterment. Although a mother may have a hard time choosing this option, she may eventually consider this 'soul-killing decision', keeping in mind all the pros and cons of this decision.

A mother has to go through the actual 'labor pain' and other issues involved with parenting and juggling responsibilities. Others can"t understand the level of trauma that a woman may be experiencing in her personal life. She is the only person who knows best, if she would be able to take care of the unplanned child or not. We all know that it"s quite impossible to raise a child without family support and finance in hand. To a great extent, the life of the baby depends upon the mother"s health.

In some cases, medical emergencies compel a woman to resort to this action. There is a possibility that her own life might be at risk, if she delivers the child.

(Going back to the rape thing) Some of the rape victims can be minors...They wouldn't"t be mentally or physically prepared to take care of the newborn baby. Why should such victims go through the ordeal of bearing a child, which is a product of some unfortunate incident of their life?

At the end of the day, it's her body,her choice...

I don't have a lot to say because you aren't answering any of the important arguments in this debate.

1) she's making a decision to murder a human being, which you conceded to
2) you forget that it's not just her body, it's the child's body too
3) as I've already mentioned multiple times, abortion actually does more HARM to a woman than good. It promotes the exploitation and abuse of women's bodies by men which perpetuates sexism, it can have awful effects on a woman's mind and body (and in most cases it does), and if you haven't already read the narrative I posted the link to, I highly encourage you to.
4) Finally, having to face a decision like abortion is truly a horrible thing. As a woman, I sympathize completely with the mother. That is why, so that both the mother and child can hope for a better life, I cannot under any circumstances support abortion. The labor pains and medical complications of pregnancies do not come close to the pain and sexism and murder cause by getting an abortion. If you care about the women who are faced with this decision, you will agree too.

P.S you are way out of line on the rape debate, because guess what? Only 1-2 percent of abortions are done on rape victims. Does that mean we don't care about it? Of course not! But even those 1-2% will be harmed further by abortion which in itself desecrates a woman's body. Do we really want to harm them further? (My professor did a study on it and if you want his contact info please let me know cause he's very well educated on this topic.)

Bruh... you seem to be getting angrier and angrier in each round!
If a women decided to have an abortion then later regretted her choice, sorry but its her own problem. If you know your not ready to have a child then guess what. Don't have sex. It's as simple as that. Don't go home crying saying you've made a mistake cause its too late. Your NEVER going to see that child again. It's dead. YOU killed it. Your problem not mine!

If you know abortion is a horrible thing, then you wouldn't even think of it as an option.

You are absolutely correct when you say I'm getting angry with every round, this one in particular.
I in no way think of abortion as an option, and in fact entitled it "should abortion be illegal?" so that someone who honestly cares about this topic and believes it should remain legal would participate. You absolutely refuse to have an honest and educated discussion about this and it frustrates me. And now on top of it you have an attitude that tells me you don't care about this topic at all. I'm not just speaking to you when I say abortion kills and hurts and perpetuates violence against women every single day. Everyone should care about this topic and should participate in discussion about it with an open mind. Based on how much you don't care about a woman who faces this problem, I'm pretty sure I am the only one in this "debate" that cares enough to try and communicate civilly and honestly. If you didn't want to actually debate this topic you shouldn't have started it in the first place. It would be best if you just didn't continue, unless for some reason you want to in which case I would be perfectly happy continuing to give my view. But only continue if you are going to actually TRY.

To conclude abortion should not be made illegal as it:

- Prevents abuse and neglect of children.
If children are not wanted they may be neglected by their parents, even if the children are wanted circumstances such as poverty or drug abuse may leave children ultimately neglected. If the parent is in an abusive relationship or home life the child may also fall victim of abuse either during pregnancy when the mother is being abused or when they're born - if born the child may suffer physical and sexual abuse.

- Prevents poverty.
Children are expensive and parents can't always afford to care for them, if born children may have to live in poverty or it may further the poverty of their family, also when parents can't afford to take care of their children government has to step in which means money from government and tax payers is used on unwanted children rather on other more suitable uses such as health care for all.

- Prevents trauma.
If the parent was raped, a child herself, or disabled then having the child may be traumatic. If there is a problem with the child such as a severe disability then having that child may be traumatic to the parents, also if the child survives it would potentially mean you allowed that child to suffer if health conditions are such that it would effect their quality of life or leave them in a great deal of pain.

- Freedom of choice.
If women's freedoms were compromised in this way it would also have a knock-on effect on other reproductive freedoms. Women can face a lot of prejudice as a result of motherhood, for example in employment especially having a child can be the end of your career due to having to take maternity leave and childcare - this can effect the individual and her family, also women by large. Denying women control over their own bodies is prejudiced and creates significant social problems.

- Overpopulation.
The world is already overpopulated and as a planet we don't have enough resources for everyone, considering the terrible state of sex education and sexual health care unwanted pregnancy is common and so without abortion we would have a significant problem with overpopulation, which effects the economy.

- Save lives, and health.
Pregnancy is very high risk for many women, for example child brides in third world countries often die or suffer terrible effects as a result of pregnancy, cancer victims would have to die as they'd not be able to seek treatment while pregnant, etc. The baby may also have health problems which would make carrying on the pregnancy highly unethical as they may suffer as a result of being born.

- Lack of sex ed.
If women and men are not taught about sex or how to prevent unwanted pregnancy, if there is no access to reliable birth control or emergency contraception, then abortion is the only option left to prevent unwanted pregnancy and the various issues surrounding this. People's lives shouldn't be destroyed and children shouldn't be put at risk because of lack of sex ed or birth control. Abortion is a necessary for as long as we have abstinence-only sex ed or poor sex ed, and lack of health care.

Fetuses are incapable of feeling pain when most abortions are performed.
Women who receive abortions are less likely to suffer mental health problems than women denied abortions.
Women who are denied abortions are more likely to become unemployed, to be on public welfare, to be below the poverty line, and to become victims of domestic violence.

Nice rant! As a female myself (15 years old to be precise) I wanted to join this debate as I believe that abortion should be illegal. I wanted to see why other people want it to remain legal. Of course I care about women who face this problem. I know teenagers who have had more than one abortion. I don't like that they chose to have one, but it's their choice and everyone should have that choice. Just because you and I wont have an abortion, doesn't mean that other people shouldn't either.

Just keep that in mind
Posted by BryceCannon 1 year ago
This isn't a debate. It is one person espousing a political view and complaining.
Posted by dsjpk5 1 year ago
Never mind. I thought it said legal, not illegal.
Posted by dsjpk5 1 year ago
Would you agree that BOP is shared in this debate?