EqualityForeverAndEver
Shad0wXx

Should Abortion be Legal?

EqualityForeverAndEver has forfeited round #2.

EqualityForeverAndEver

Pro

Hello! Welcome to my first debate in a long time.

My View: Abortion should be legal in all 50 states of the United States of America.

Making abortion illiegal is not the duty of the government. What a person chooses to do with their own bodies should not be controlled by the government. If abortion is illegal, then women's bodily autonomy is violated.

In countries where abortion is legal, there are far fewer deaths from unsafe abortions. When abortion was legalized in the USA, deaths from unsafe abortions dropped drastically. Also, the amount of abortions performed before eight weeks gestation increased 30%. [1] This also proves that if abortion is made illegal, it won't make the amount of abortions performed lower. It will simply make the amount of unsafe abortions performed higher.

An argument often used against abortion is that the mother should instead carry the fetus to term and then give it up for adoption. However, only 13% of children who are put into the foster care are adopted.[2] For the 87% who remain in the system, they end up costing taxpayers about $15,000 each year. [3] After the birth of a child, many mothers feel obligated to care for their child and are unwilling to give it up. The added responsibility of a baby is not only stressful, but costly. For someone who barely can support themselves, a child makes it nearly impossible for them to get by. In fact, the cost of raising a child for a year is around $13,000. [4].

Pregnancies are stressful and very hard on a woman's body, especially when they're not prepared. A woman could have multiple complications during pregnancy or even die during the birth. The average cost for pre-natal care is $2,000 which puts a signifigent amount of financial strain on a woman, especially if she doesn't have health insurance. This isn't counting how much actually giving birth costs. On average, a C-Section costs $15,000 and a vaginal birth costs $9,000. [5]

Thank you! I look forward to debating more :)

[1] https://www.guttmacher.org...
[2] https://www.usatoday.com...
[3]https://www.adoptioncouncil.org...
[4] http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
[5] http://www.webmd.com...
Shad0wXx

Con

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to debate you on this.

I agree that what a person does with their own body should not be controlled by the government. On that premise, the government does not have the right to legalize abortion, because abortion violates the aborted human's body.

Let me by attempt to prove that life begins at fertilization.

"The human embryo is the same individual as the human organism at subsequent stages of development. The evidence for this is the genetic and epigenetic composition of this being - that is, the embryo's molecular composition is such that he or she has the internal resources to develop actively himself or herself to the next mature stage - and the typical embryo's regular, predictable and observable behaviour - that is, the embryo's actual progression through an internally coordinated and complex sequence of development to his or her mature stage."

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

"A zygote [fertilized egg] is the beginning of a new human being. Human development begins at fertilization, the process during which a male gamete " unites with a female gamete or oocyte " to form a single cell called a zygote. This highly specialized, totipotent cell marks the beginning of each of us as a unique individual"

Source: Keith L. Moore"s The Developing Human: Clinically Oriented Embryology (7th edition, Philadelphia, PA: Saunders, 2003)

The following article may also be used in support of my argument that life begins at fertilization:

https://www.liveaction.org...

I believe that I have now shown evidence that human life begins at fertilization.

Even if most children who are put into foster care are never adopted, they still deserve a chance.

You said:

"In countries where abortion is legal, there are far fewer deaths from unsafe abortions. When abortion was legalized in the USA, deaths from unsafe abortions dropped drastically. Also, the amount of abortions performed before eight weeks gestation increased 30%. [1] This also proves that if abortion is made illegal, it won't make the amount of abortions performed lower. It will simply make the amount of unsafe abortions performed higher."

If the punishment for having an abortion were severe enough, I think that there would be less abortions.

In response to your arguments about cost, complications, and stress; life is more valuable than convinience.
Posted by John_C_1812 9 months ago
John_C_1812
What you do not understand, or do not represent by a United State clearly is the public use of the word abortion is a confession to a crime, and not and accusation. A self-incriminating confession was allowed to be tested in the public by First Amendment. Even though the self-value of a confession is legally recorded as precedent beforehand. The self-incrimination having no limit of protection as it was used freely without self-value publicly.

As this may go on to be documentation to the start of an American Civil War. A declaration of Gender Specific Amputation should be represented as a Constitutional separation made public from a self-incrimination made to receive medical treatment.
Posted by Shad0wXx 9 months ago
Shad0wXx
I wish to reduce abortion, of course! If, for example, 5 years in prison were the punishment for abortion (just an example), I think we can agree there would probably be far less abortions.
Posted by canis 9 months ago
canis
Yes. Otherwise it would not be. Great thing for those who decide to abort.
Posted by missmedic 9 months ago
missmedic
Law enforcement is not a solution to the problem. Do you wish to imprison women or reduce abortion?
Posted by Shad0wXx 9 months ago
Shad0wXx
When I said: "In response to your arguments about cost, complications, and stress; life is more valuable than convinience." I meant "convenience", not "convinience". Oops.