JessilynnKing
Solomon_Orlando

Should Abortion be illegal in America?

Solomon_Orlando

JessilynnKing

Con

Abortion is the ultimate child abuse. A child is a Human, not a choice. If you want to give your child a better life than what you think or want to give them, adoption is ALWAYS a choice. The embryo or fetus may not be fully developed, but at 18 days, the heartbeat begins beating, at 30 days, blood begins flowing through their veins
, at 8 weeks, all organs are functioning, at 9 weeks the baby has fingerprints, at 10 weeks the baby can feel pain, at 12 weeks the baby can smile. For you, this may be seem the 'easiest way out', or you may feel like it's your only option, but it isn't. Abortion is wrong. How would you feel if your mother decided to abort you? Because she couldn't handle the stress, time, and money that a child deserves. Of all unintended pregnancies, 4 in 10 are aborted. There over 1.21 million abortions in America alone each year. Not including the other 196 countries. Save a life, wrap it up.
Solomon_Orlando

Pro

There's only one-thousand characters, so most of my argument will be thin due to the constraints given. I'd like to first point out that the facts given about fetal development by my opponent are incorrect. I will give a source at the bottom for corrections to my opponents point, as well as a correction for the "4 in 10", which is actually 3 in 10, at 2014.

Although my opponent gives (very awry and skewed) facts about fetal development, there is nothing in my opponent's argument that contends abortion legality, only moral questions that cannot contend with that of the legality of abortion. I shall leave my argument by saying that, if you were to make abortion illegal, it would not deter people from receiving them. It would make abortions dangerous in very uncontrolled environments.

http://healthandwelfare.idaho.gov...
https://www.guttmacher.org...
JessilynnKing

Con

You can say everything you need to say within 1,000 characters. The 14th amendment was designed to protect classes of people like the unborn. It's simply wrong for a mother to have the right to kill her children, disregarding the circumstances.
Murder is the "unlawful killing of a human being" with intent. Is that not enough to argue that it should be illegal?
Solomon_Orlando

Pro

For a debate this large, I would think 10,000 characters wouldn't be enough.

As for your comment about the fourteenth amendment, I think you should give it another read (Roe v Wade). The fourteenth amendment, currently, does not support the protections for the unborn and it is still up to the mother whether or not to abort the baby. I'm not sure where you're receiving your facts from, but you should source yourself so that I may see the validity and credibility of the source itself.

It's not enough to argue that it is illegal because the definition you're giving fetuses is implying something more than what's really happening without concrete evidence for that standpoint. Person-hood at conception is a religious belief, not a provable biological fact. Our courts have consistently found them to not be defined as people with rights, which makes the comment about murder null.
Posted by Solomon_Orlando 2 years ago
Solomon_Orlando
I'd like to challenge you to the same debate, but with less limitations. 10,000 characters, maximum rounds, and a 72 response time. Do you think you'd accept if I made one for us?
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
I posted a debate on the subject of murder for you @JessilynnKing.
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
Abortion is not murder by you're very definition. While abortion is legal it is not murder.
Posted by Solomon_Orlando 2 years ago
Solomon_Orlando
For a topic this big, you should really expand the character limit. Just a thought, friend.
Posted by JessilynnKing 2 years ago
JessilynnKing
>'Should'< abortion be illegal. I'm against it being legal. I guess there's two ways to look at it.
Posted by Solomon_Orlando 2 years ago
Solomon_Orlando
That wasn't what I was saying. You put yourself as against it being illegal, as the text under your icon says "Con".
Posted by JessilynnKing 2 years ago
JessilynnKing
Abortion is murder. Regardless of me being Pro-Life. It should be illegal.
Posted by Solomon_Orlando 2 years ago
Solomon_Orlando
You're given a stance on pro-life, yet your stance in the debate is against it being illegal?
Vote Placed by gannon260 2 years ago
gannon260
JessilynnKingSolomon_OrlandoTied
Reasons for voting decision: I vote pro mainly due to evidence and siting resources effectively and negating con's assumptions. I believe pro could have better elaborated and won the debate if (s)he had merely made the character limit larger.