whanna4d21
jedieglet

Should Algebra/trig/etc be required for degrees in fields that do not use it?

whanna4d21

Con

I'm against the requirement for certain math to be a necessity for every degree. After you know addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, simple equations 9x=18 then x=2, Fractions, Percentages, and how to use Microsoft excel I think most jobs don't need to go any further than that. The heavy algebraic equations and the science formulas and such are for engineers, doctors architects, nurses, Math teachers, people who actually use it in their field of work. I think it becomes useless at a certain time. I'm sure you can point to weird jacked up examples where somebody can save 5 bucks by factoring gas mileage but seriously? I should also note I'm in my first semester of college probably failing math but passing 2 history classes and a lit class with a B. If one math credit decides whether or not I get a degree I think it's BS.
jedieglet

Pro

I believe that we should have math degrees in all fields, there is only one problem with today's debate and that is your resolution, you act like there are so many degrees that you don't use math in, when in all reality it's the other way around almost every single job requires you to do math. as for your little Excel argument, what happens if you don't have access to excel and you need to do math to figure out how much pressures going into a hose, while there's X amount of water coming out, now you have to do that all by hand. So what your suggesting in your argument is a dark and scary world, were people put all their faith into technology instead of learning how to do it themselves. and lastly your little temper tantrum on you failing your math class should simply not be weighed in today's round, and is instead a personal problem. but a tip for the future maybe if you pay attention and study in your math classes them maybe you will pass.
whanna4d21

Con

I just put that to show I have bias not because I want attention or sympathy. According to what you just said we shouldn't put faith in technology. Now riddle me this batman, do you know how to do land navigation with a map a compass and a protractor? I assure you a good sum of Americans do not, gm angle etc; I do and have done. That doesn't mean everybody should be trained in land navigation because the terminator is going to take place and everyone's GPS is going to attempt to lead them off a bridge. Your probably right on the should have studied more but fact is some folks are mathematically illiterate; I'm one of them when the architect/mechanic/foreman stuff comes in. Here's a list of jobs that involve elementary math skills if even- http://www.businessinsider.com...
jedieglet

Pro

jedieglet forfeited this round.
jedieglet

Pro

jedieglet forfeited this round.
whanna4d21

Con

whanna4d21 forfeited this round.
jedieglet

Pro

jedieglet forfeited this round.
whanna4d21

Con

whanna4d21 forfeited this round.
jedieglet

Pro

jedieglet forfeited this round.