eosh89
tinocurione

Should All Drugs Be Legalized In The U.S.

eosh89

Con

Should The U.S. take the same stance as Portugal and legalize all drugs? No.
tinocurione

Pro

In a review by the Cato Institute of the white paper "Drug Decriminalization in Portugal: Lessons for Creating Fair and Successful Drug Policies" authored by Glenn Greenwald, the Institute concluded, "The data show that, judged by virtually every metric, the Portuguese decriminalization framework has been a resounding success. Within this success lie self-evident lessons that should guide drug policy debates around the world."

Portugal was certainly not the best example you could have chosen to open this debate, but I accept the challenge all the same.

Maintaining a policy of illegal drugs has many negative outcomes.

For one, it fills prisons with non-violent offenders. In fact, many States in the USA are now needing to revisit the question of legalization during this economic crisis precisely because of the lack of funding for overcrowded detention centers.

Fighting the "War on Drugs" has been a terrible failure with enormous amounts of government funding wasted on an unwinnable war.

The whole idea of illegal drugs is an absolute hypocrisy when one looks at legal toxins like alcohol and coffee. And especially when many of the FDA approved drugs, like Vioxx, have killed tens of thousands of Americans.

For this and many other reasons, all drugs should be responsibly legalized in the United States, as well as worldwide.

eosh89

Con

eosh89 forfeited this round.
tinocurione

Pro

My Opponent has forfeited this Round; as a result, I choose to refrain from introducing new arguments so as to allow my Opponent to address those that I have already outlined, which I continue to stand behind. Thank you.
eosh89

Con

eosh89 forfeited this round.
tinocurione

Pro

eosh89

Con

eosh89 forfeited this round.
tinocurione

Pro

tinocurione forfeited this round.
eosh89

Con

eosh89 forfeited this round.
tinocurione

Pro

tinocurione forfeited this round.