Should America cut ties with the middle east and start drilling for oil in our own land?

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

I believe it is time for America to begin drilling in our own land for oil and stop relying so heavily on the middle east. It is going to deeply effect our reserves and possibly our land around us, but the alternative is much better than the outcome as it is now.

With all the turmoil going on in the middle east, our prices of gas has begun to skyrocket with a projected price of close to $4.50 by the start of summer. I believe by using our own resources this problem will be averted for now.

I will begin my argument by first commenting on my opponents interesting choice of topic. I look forward to actively debating it.
To begin, I would like to inform voters that in order to win, each side must prove that it is in America's best interest to drill or not drill on it's own land.
I will do so with the following points.
1. America's oil reserves are too limited to last us until we are self sufficient
2. Having oil suppliers in other countries improves our foreign relations.

Back to my first point, which states that America's oil reserves are too limited to last. According to NBC news as of March 8th, 2011, America's Oil reserves will only last for 72 days. This clearly is not enough time to allow us to become self sufficient.

To conclude the first round, I will move to my second point, which states that foreign oil improves relations. Everyone knows we receive oil from various countries, and we must continue to receive it to maintain our oil supply.

I believe that while you bring up a good point (the fact that our reserves will only last us 72 days), we must also realize that the middle east gets most of their income from us when it comes to buying oil. I think that just by showing the middle east we are willing to look elsewhere as a possibility, it will be a wake up call.

Sen. Jeff Bingaman (D-N.M.), as quoted in The New York Times. "High oil prices alone don't justify tapping the reserve. But if the situation in Libya gets any worse, or the turmoil spreads, we need to be prepared to act. And just announcing that we are tapping into the reserve "would help to moderate escalating prices."

It seems like things are gonna get alot worse before they get any better. In just two weeks, gas prices have rose 33 cents which is an astronomical jump in price. Something needs to be done, even if it means tapping into our reserves which have only been used in times of crisis. I believe that we are headed to one of those times.

While my opponent brings up an interesting point about Libya, the situation will eventually end there. The situation is being dealt with by the UN, whether it is imposing sanctions or sending peacekeeping forces over, the job is being done. My opponent's quote even agrees with my argument, "High oil prices alone don't justify tapping the reserve." Also, Libya is not our main supplier, far from it. According to a NBC news analysis, Libya only provides 5% of our oil. Our main suppliers are Saudi Arabia and other middle eastern countries. Libya gives 33% of their oil to Italy, not us.

Also, my opponent has yet to touch on my point about foreign relations. The fact that we have such strong ties with middle eastern countries because we purchase oil from them symbolizes that the United States can and will maintain foreign relations with other countries.

Yes international relations are important, but if it takes cutting those ties to help us get out of a hole we should do it. I know most Americans would not care where we get the oil from as long as gas prices start to fall. It also might give us an opportunity to go in other directions for oil. If we tap ourselves out of the oil, we can start to look elsewhere.

If another source comes into play, the middle east will lose a large portion of oil sales which will hurt them almost as much as we are hurt now by the raising gas prices.

This whole debate on the pro side has been based upon hypotheticals and gas prices.
Foreign relations are much more important than a couple extra cents, which will go down in time. The situation in the middle east has been confined to Libya and Iran, and shows no signs of going to any other countries. The simple fact that the United States natural reserves would not last us until self sufficiency is enough to maintain that we should keep our ties with the middle east.
Posted by boredinclass 5 years ago
Add more characters and change the voting time to 1 month. Then I'll accept
Vote Placed by y0ungDuB 5 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Kweef just had the sources and the more convincing argument. Sorry bro