jimmyclemons
Elijahhill97

Should America have stricter gun laws?

jimmyclemons

Con

should America have more gun control? No. we already have enough. if we make all the law abiding citizens give up their firearms then only the unlawful people will have guns. and the 2nd amendment was not wrote just for self defense but for the use against a tyranical government. (yes people it does happen)
Elijahhill97

Pro

Stricter gun laws are not trying to take away your guns. Except for assault rifles because for what reason do you need them? It is trying to prevent them from getting into the hands of people who are unstable who shouldn't have a gun in the first place. I see no problem with stricter screening and less automatics around and about. thank to my opponent for having this debate. Also thank you to anyone for taking the time to read this!
jimmyclemons

Con

jimmyclemons forfeited this round.
Elijahhill97

Pro

I extend my point that we should have stricter gun laws till next round.
jimmyclemons

Con

jimmyclemons forfeited this round.
Elijahhill97

Pro

Hmm well thank you to anyone who took a look at this vote pro and thanks again!
Posted by Elijahhill97 3 years ago
Elijahhill97
This means that any full auto firearm manufactured in the US or imported to the US before May 19, 1986 is legal for anyone who is willing to pay a one time $200 tax stamp (per firearm) to own a full auto or burst fire gun. However, due to the fixed supply of fully automatic firearms that currently exist in the US that are available for civilian purchase, the price for the qualifying full auto guns is outrageous.

And you're welcome.
Posted by Elijahhill97 3 years ago
Elijahhill97
Okiecaleb
"Weapons: Of the 143 guns possessed by the killers, more than three quarters were obtained legally. The arsenal included dozens of assault weapons and semi-automatic handguns with high-capacity magazines. (See charts below.) Just as Jeffrey Weise used a .40-caliber Glock to slaughter students in Red Lake, Minnesota, in 2005, so too did James Holmes, along with an AR-15 assault rifle, when blasting away at his victims in a darkened movie theater. In Newtown, Connecticut, Adam Lanza wielded a .223 Bushmaster semi-automatic assault rifle as he massacred 20 school children and six adults."

Look at the strict gun laws in other countries ex. Canada, UK, Europe they all have very very low crime rates compared to us. Mind explaining that?
My Uncle bought a Barrett 50. Cal Sniper Rifle. Just because he served he could go online and buy it. Mind explaining why in the world he would need that?

"There is no such thing as an assault rifle only a rifle used for assaults." Maybe you should just google search assualt rifle and tell me what comes up. Oh wait I did and here is the definition.. "An assault rifle is a selective fire (selective between semi-automatic, fully automatic and/or burst fire) rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine." Good try though.

Hmm so guns dont kill people people kill people.. Try shooting someone with a finger gun doesn't quite work.. a month or two ago somebody attacked a school with just a knife.. Everybody lived.. I guess guns help quite a bit don't they?

http://www.motherjones.com... Take a look at this picture and tell me how stricter gun laws cant help.

Speaking at a fundraiser in San Francisco on April 3, President Obama said that Adam Lanza, the mass murderer in a New England school shooting, used a "fully automatic weapon" to kill his victims at Sandy Hook Elementary.
Posted by okiecaleb 3 years ago
okiecaleb
Elijahhill97
1:"Stricter gun laws are not trying to take away your guns."
Stricter gun laws by definition are restricting what a citizen can have and therefore are restricting 2nd amendment freedoms. If a citizen owns a gun which then falls under a new more restrictive law it becomes unlawful for them to own such a weapon which would force them to either break the law and keep it or follow the law and give it up which essentially means stricter gun laws could take away citizens guns.

2:"Except for assault rifles because for what reason do you need them?"
"Assault rifle" is a misnomer because it equates and object with an action. There is no such thing as an assault rifle only a rifle used for assaults. If you are referring to guns such as the most popular rifle blamed, the AR-15, then I can tell you that they are very often used for hunting. I use one when hunting coyote because hunting can be dangerous especially when mountain lion are known to be nearby. I feel much safer having a gun I can fire off more than a few rounds if my life is in danger.

3:" It is trying to prevent them from getting into the hands of people who are unstable who shouldn't have a gun in the first place."
Unstable people are going to hurt people whether they use a gun or a knife or a car. Limiting the availability of guns does not address the true problem of a broken mental health system. The time honored phrase "guns don't kill people, people kill people" applies.

4: " I see no problem with stricter screening and less automatics around and about."
Stricter screenings can be helpful but the screening process already in place in some states seems a bit much. Again the issue is the people not the guns. And there are almost no "automatics" around and about. In order for someone to own an automatic weapon they need a class 3 license which costs thousands of dollars a year in taxes and fees. No civilian mass shootings have involved automatic weapons.

And you're welcome.