HonokaBreadFund
Trexcalibur

Should American Public High Schools Adopt a uniform similar to that of Japan, Korea and Taiwan?

Trexcalibur

HonokaBreadFund

Pro

As a student myself, I would like to see American public schools adopt a uniform similar to that of Japan, Korea and Taiwan. I know this has been argued over and over, but i'm pointing out a specific style(s) of uniform that I think would be fit for american public schools. Too many times are kids coming in flaunting their designer clothing and sagging their pants. I think our current dress code gives too much freedom to students to choose what they want to wear. Not to mention it's much easier to have a uniform, so you don't have to worry about what to wear.
Trexcalibur

Con

I accept this debate.

Claims:

C1: Limited self-expression

C2: May affect schools

C3: Need funds

Reasoning:

C1:
If elementary, middle, and high schools include a strict student uniform, it may limit the way students can express themself. Your argument didn't really give a specific grade range of uniforms, so I included all three. For example, Students often use clothing as an outward manifestation of their personalities to show the world who they are without having to articulate it through speech or dramatic behavior. Those who must adhere to uniform policies have -- to an extent -- been creatively disarmed.

This may impact the student in many different ways, It may limit the way that student gets accepted in the school, for other students with similar interest won't know about that particular student. Research shows that students who don't get accepted in their school or society have an increased chance of deppresion, which can lead to an influence in that student's grades and may cause suicide.

C2: Student uniforms may display a bad reputation towards the school. This is because many schools with student uniforms allow and permit the students to wear the uniforms whenever. If a school allows school uniforms, students may use them to cause trouble or mischief, which gives the school a bad reputation.

School uniforms alter the way students accept each other, as I explained in Claim 1. Because other stufents may not accept others, this may change the way the student behaves. This may promote the act of mischief, which gives the school a bad reputation. This may cause a decrease in attendance at the school which will in turn shut down the school system in the local district.

C3: School uniforms need money to fund the uniforms given to the students. A school can raise this money through charities and donations from parents of students. Because of the funding of the uniforms, many parents or donators can get tired of this process, especially parents of multiple students.

The funding of school uniforms may lead the school into bankruptcy, leading to a decrease in supplies of the school, which, in my Claim 2, will decrease attendance of that school.

Another reason that doesn't really prove the point that there should be a law to enforce school uniforms is that most schools don't agree to school uniforms in their districts.

I am looking forward for my opponents debate. Good luck!
HonokaBreadFund

Pro

HonokaBreadFund forfeited this round.
Trexcalibur

Con

My opponent forfeited the last round. I extend my arguments.
HonokaBreadFund

Pro

HonokaBreadFund forfeited this round.
Trexcalibur

Con

Well, This is awkward.

HonokaBreadFund

Pro

HonokaBreadFund forfeited this round.
HonokaBreadFund

Pro

HonokaBreadFund forfeited this round.
Trexcalibur

Con

Well, this was interesting.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 1 year ago
RoyLatham
HonokaBreadFundTrexcaliburTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made a few assertions, but didn't defend his arguments or refute Con's case. Pro's forfeits are a conduct violation. It would have been a good idea for Con to have refuted Pro's case, or claimed that the disadvantages outweighed the advantages. It's risky to drop any argument, because Pro can unexpectedly and point out that the points were not countered. But walking away from a debate is not a winning strategy.