jvava
CoolPeppers12

Should American students be forced to recite the pledge every school day?

jvava

jvava

Con

Hello. I am glad to debate whoever accepts this challenge. First things first, though: first round is simply acceptance. We will state our opinions and stances in the second round, and then rebut in the third.

Good luck to however accepts.
CoolPeppers12

Pro

Thank you for letting me accept this debate. I look forward to it.

First of all, students should not be required to say our Pledge every single day. That gets old and tiring.
However, we should say it at least once a week. We live in a democracy/republic, where liberty and freedom is given to all of us. (Well, not everyone. Everyone isn't ALL free yet, but they WILL!)
We should at least say our pledge in respect of this wonderful democracy. Soldiers die for our freedoms!

That's my opinion.
jvava

Con

Hello. Thank you for taking on this debate topic.

Before we start, allow me to define respect. This definition is pulled from Bing Dictionary.

esteem: a feeling or attitude of admiration and deference toward somebody or something

Now, respect is a feeling - it is not an act. Simply saying the pledge is not respect because an individual can feel anything besides respect - hatred, for example - while saying the pledge. Also, respect is a choice; an individual chooses to respect something. They cannot be forced to respect something.

My argument is that forcing a student to recite the pledge is not respect in itself; therefore, the argument of soldiers perishing for our freedoms is nullified. Forcing a student into saying the pledge is not respect, because respect is a feeling, not an act.

Now, choosing to say the pledge is true respect, because you are expressing your feelings of respect.

If I were a soldier, I would prefer to think of a classroom where only one student was performing the pledge with pride, expressing their true feelings, rather than a classroom where 30 students were saying the pledge while rolling their eyes and engaging in other such acts.

Respect is a choice; forcing someone to say the pledge is not true respect and nullifies the age-old argument, "People are dying for you. Show some respect."
CoolPeppers12

Pro

Very well said. You made me think again on this topic.

It is true. If I were a soldier or even government official, some one who represents the US, I would rather see some people who say the pledge with meaning and devotion, rather than 100 kids rolling their eyes.
It most likely won't do any good if we force students to say our pledge every day. However, most schools have community meetings or assemblies, at least mine does. and they have these meetings once a month or every week.
My school, we have an assembly meeting in our gym every Friday morning and we say the pledge. I do not mind it because it's once a week and it's respect for our country.

My arugument is that we, students should say it once a week. That's minimum. But every day...NO.
jvava

Con

Well, then, that's the end of this debate. Thank you for coming around to see my stance.
CoolPeppers12

Pro

And thank you for letting me accept this debate.

It was a nice one and good luck on future debates!
Posted by jamccartney 3 years ago
jamccartney
I look forward to seeing the outcome of this debate. I agree with Con and hope to see him win.
Vote Placed by jamccartney 3 years ago
jamccartney
jvavaCoolPeppers12Tied
Reasons for voting decision: The two of them are tied for conduct. When it comes to spelling and grammar, they both did well, so they are tied for that as well. As of arguments, Con made longer and stronger arguments, while Pro made short arguments and does not seem to have a strong opinion on this topic. Argument points go to Con. When it comes to sources, no one used any, so they are tied on that either.
Vote Placed by Haroush 3 years ago
Haroush
jvavaCoolPeppers12Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Well, Pro simply said Con was right.. So, Pro gave the W to Con.