Twiggy1612
Plasmastrike

Should Animal Testing be Legal?

Twiggy1612

Con

Human beings act on instinct. Animals do not have that ability. That is a well known fact. However, does this simple ability distinguish us so much that while you are barely allowed touch another human, you can do completely immoral experiments to animals? I hope not, my friends. While I agree that for diseases such as Swine Flu, animals should be treated on, I find it cruel to test in perfectly healthy animals. I hope the audience can see my point on this matter.
Plasmastrike

Pro

Thanks for the debate.

I will begin by saying that you are wrong about animals not acting on instinct. Quite the contrary in fact. Most animals aside from humans act solely on instinct. Humans have the ability to perceive the world in a much greater way than most other animals can. Treating animals as test subjects can be somewhat cruel, but it is by no means as cruel as using another human as a test subject.
Twiggy1612

Con

I would like to start off Round 2 by saying I made a mistake in Round 1. What I meant to say was that animals react by instinct and humans have the ability to analyze a situation. Sorry.

Anyway, 100 million animals die each year in US Laboratories as a result of testing. This testing ruins rare food webs and may cause the extinction of not only the species being tested itself, but everything that would normally feed on it in the food chain. Not to mention most of those animals died in experiments that have been done thousands of times before, scientific culture is that we have to see an experiment by doing it instead of taking book's word for it. However, would it not be much easier to watch a internet video of an experiment than doing it and killing millions of precious, needed animals.
Plasmastrike

Pro

Although it is true that many millions of animals die from animal testing, most of these animals are naturally thriving, or in many cases overpopulated, such as rabbits, mice and other rodents, so the possibility of the extinction of a species, directly or indirectly is extremely unlikely. It is also noteworthy to mention that scientists have to do so many tests for the sake of finding out if the tests work with the animals being exposed to different environmental stimuli or if a genetic factor comes into place.
Twiggy1612

Con

My third argument is that during testing, animals are exposed to extreme cruelty. They may be left in cages half their size, suffer from lack of food and be brutally beaten and tortured. Not to mention, animal testing is normally done to expose diseases that humans might get. Animals and humans are different creatures and every animal is different. Since testing is very expensive, it can be a huge waste of money to do animal testing.

I would like to thank the audience for listening to me during my three arguments. I sincerely encourage you to say no to animal testing, which I have exposed to be cruel and expensive, and vote for me in the voting section.
Plasmastrike

Pro

If you make an argument about how animal testing should not be legalised because of animal cruelty, take a look at the food industry. Every year, over 56 BILLION animals are killed for the sake of consumption by humans, much more than the hundreds of millions used in animal testing. A lot of these animals live in environments that can be just as cruel as those for animal testing. Yet the food industry thrives and their actions are considered perfectly legal. So I believe that animal testing should be legal everywhere. After all, the deaths of animals for food will only help for a short term, but gaining knowledge from animal tests will help humanity for as long as we survive.

Thank you for hearing out my points :)