marthalisat
somil

Should Apple win the FBI lawsuit?

marthalisat

Pro

I personally think Apple should win it, because allowing the FBI to view all information encrypted on phones is an INVASION of privacy and although the FBI may have moral intentions, it is putting everyone at risk. The FBI wants to access a terrorist's phone data, apple has no sympathy for the terrorist but as a company, it does not want to give information to the FBI because allowing them to do so could potentially mean in a few months time, the Government could be seeing everything you do on the internet, through a proxy or a VPN. I am fairly innocent on the internet but I really understand how important it is Apple does win this case, because I do not want a fat old man sitting on a chair looking at my text messages or images.
somil

Con

My point here is simple. Neither Apple nor the government can be sure that a tool designed to break into iPhone security will never fall into the wrong hands.

Now, let's be clear. There are already hacks available for the iPhone. There have always been mechanisms to jailbreak iPhones. While, in this particular case, a custom Apple iOS hacking tool might make things easier for the FBI, broken forms of iOS already do exist in the wild.

But a hacked version of iOS is different from something specially built and compiled from source. It's important not to underestimate the risk of what happens when something dangerous -- like a fully open and security-nerfed version of iOS -- gets into the wild.

Take Stuxnet, for example. Stuxnet, if you recall, was government-scale malware designed to destabilize centrifuges in Iran. Back in 2012, I led a team that included senior White House officials in a nationwide cyberattack simulation based on the question of what might happen if Stuxnet got released into the wild. The problem of releasing it into the wild is that once it's out there, the bad guys could reverse engineer it, and launch Stuxnet-like attacks back at us.

Apple is basically saying that if they release a compromised iOS, it will travel, it will not be secured by the FBI (a fair concern given OPM), and it will put Apple's promise of security at risk. These are fair and reasonable statements.

In short, if Apple enables even a single-use back door, the existence of such a thing will undoubtedly be used against us. Even a special-case one-off crack like the one the FBI has requested could break lose and compromise security.
marthalisat

Pro

marthalisat forfeited this round.
somil

Con

It is important to check your grammar and spelling, otherwise you may be penalized by the voters.
marthalisat

Pro

marthalisat forfeited this round.
somil

Con

somil forfeited this round.