SlimmeMan
lord_megatron

Should Asia be Divided into Seperate Continents?

lord_megatron
Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: 7 Point
Started: 5/11/2016 Category: Places-Travel

SlimmeMan

Pro

First Round Acceptance (say "I accept") Second Round Argument, Third Round Rebuttal, Fourth Round Reply to Rebuttal and Fifth Round Conclusion
lord_megatron

Con

Fine then I accept. Why would anyone want to cut up the world into more pieces than it is?
SlimmeMan

Pro

I think Asia should be divided into separate continents because of many reasons.

The First is that Asia has many cultures that are exceedingly disparate. Imagine if you were having dinner with three different Asians in three different days; you wouldn't know what to wear, what not to wear, what to say, what is considered polite, etc. This could very well happen; If the whole future of your company depended on these dinners, and you did something disrespectful, you could be in a whole lot of trouble.

My Second Argument is that they weren't always the same continent. As you can see here (http://geology.com...) India was only recently attached to Asia (Well, relatively speaking).

My third argument is the population. Asia has about 4.4 billion people, China has 1.3 billion people (2/7 of Asia) and India has 1.2 billion people (1/3);while Europe has about 742 million people, which is minuscule in comparison.

This is why I think Asia should be divided into many different continents.

lord_megatron

Con

Okay, since rebuttal is in the 3rd round, I would give my argument why Asia shouldn't be divided into separate continents-
1. Same Landmass- You must admit that most of the continents are on separate tectonic plates, and that if you divide Asia, there would not be that much distance to separate the 2 or more new continents.
2. New borders- It depends from where do you want a divide to start from. THat divide could result in development of stronger and more guarded borders, and in some cases, division of countries.
3. Lesser Unity- If Asia is divided, there will be even lesser unity between nations than there this and globalization will be pushed back further. Yes, the governments can ignore it but most likely they won't. For example, Europe has a n european union, but splitting Europe may shut it down and increase rivalry between countries. While I doubt there is an Asian Union, dividing Asia would eliminate the possibility of a large future Asian Union.
SlimmeMan

Pro

"A large future Asian Union" Is one of your arguments. This is next to impossible because many Asian countries have bad blood between them. Like China and Japan, according to a survey by the Spring 2014 global attitudes survey, "China polls at 91 percent unfavorable in Japan,"

Karen Ma said on Quora (https://www.quora.com...) : "When I encountered the Japanese both in Japan and in China, So I often hear the Japanese say the Chinese are "hard to understand' or that they are 'scary'."

India and Pakistan also 'hate' each other.

From a class 8 textbook:
“The Hindu belief was that only a Hindu nation could live in the Indian subcontinent. Other nations should become a part of the Hindu nation or leave India. Many Hindu extremist parties such as Arya Samaj were working against the Muslims since the 19th century and even fifty years after the creation of Pakistan, these organizations continue working to erase the Muslims existence from the region”.
lord_megatron

Con

Yes, we are far back on the large future Asian Union, but dividing it would push us back even further. Worse, you may just trigger world war 3. Old feuds such as between India and Pakistan and according to you, between China and Japan would be reignited and they would get an excuse for all out war. Japan may demand to be called a separate continent of its own as it is away from the other countries.
Asia has many cultures and that what makes it Asia, the people living together in harmony despite having such diverse beliefs, customs, traditions and values. India itself has so many states that do not follow the same culture, should they divide themselves into different countries? You can't say that Kerala and Delhi have similar cultures, what if the South and North divided themselves?. There is only one outcome of this, and that is war. It may be sooner or it may be later, but increasing the divides between us will increase likelihood of war.
As for your claim that Asia wasn't a continent millions of years ago, I would like to tell you that there were no humans at that time, and therefore there was no concept of continents as well. And at first Africa, Europe and America were the same landmass as well.
For your population argument, if suppose war happens and there is displacement of many people in Europe, would you cut up Europe into more parts? People are temporary, land masses are permanent.
Pro hasn't responded to my argument about they having common tectonic plates. Most continents are split by oceans or at least rivers and tectonic boundaries, and where would you split Asia from? And even if you start splitting by tectonic plates, wouldn't all the continents need to be cut up then?
Lastly, I would like to know from where do you want to cut up Asia. Just give me a hasty paint drawing, no problem. But it will give me more points for debating, and allow you to justify your case as well.
SlimmeMan

Pro

You have no references to back your argument, what evidence do you have that Japan would want to become its own continent? Your argument has so little reference that you could just be making it up.

My reply to your argument is that the Himalayas would be the border of India and East Asia. Rome was bordered by a river so small that nobody knows where it is today (Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire http://www.bbc.co.uk...).

"Just give me a hasty paint drawing, no problem. But it will give me more points for debating, and allow you to justify your case as well." You make it seem as if it is clear that you're going to win, but we still have the conclusion...
lord_megatron

Con

"You make it seem as if it is clear that you're going to win, but we still have the conclusion..."
I am sorry if it came off that way. I just need more points to argue otherwise I could say that India Pakistan will war because the continent would divide from there and you can say it won't divide from there.
"Your argument has so little reference that you could just be making it up."
Yeah I am because I am too lazy to do actual research. Okay fine Japan won't make its own continent.
So the border is Himalayas? Yes there will be war between India and Pakistan for sure.
"Asia has many cultures and that what makes it Asia, the people living together in harmony despite having such diverse beliefs, customs, traditions and values. India itself has so many states that do not follow the same culture, should they divide themselves into different countries? You can't say that Kerala and Delhi have similar cultures, what if the South and North divided themselves?. There is only one outcome of this, and that is war. It may be sooner or it may be later, but increasing the divides between us will increase likelihood of war.
For your population argument, if suppose war happens and there is displacement of many people and somehow majority of them get passage to Europe, would you cut up Europe into more parts? People are temporary, land masses are permanent.
Pro hasn't responded to my argument about they having common tectonic plates. Most continents are split by oceans or at least rivers and tectonic boundaries, and where would you split Asia from? And even if you start splitting by tectonic plates, wouldn't all the continents need to be cut up then?"
I am still waiting for your rebuttal for all this.
SlimmeMan

Pro

"Yeah I am because I am too lazy to do actual research," And " I just need more points to argue otherwise I could say that India Pakistan will war because the continent would divide from there and you can say it won't divide from there." Show that you haven't thought hard enough or done actual research on this subject; so your arguments aren't valid.

"Rome was bordered by a river so small that nobody knows where it is today," Considering your argument, there are other ways that East Asia could be divided from India, such as small rivers or canals.

"Okay fine Japan won't make its own continent," You admit that your argument was unlikely.
lord_megatron

Con

As Pro has failed to give rebuttals to many of my arguments, I think you all should vote for con. BTW, was a very good an interesting debate.
Posted by lord_megatron 11 months ago
lord_megatron
Thank you wayward writer
Posted by TheWaywardWriter 11 months ago
TheWaywardWriter
Unfortunately, I am unable to vote as this account is relatively new. But if I were to vote for one, I'd vote for Con. Just because there is a wide diversity of cultures doesn't mean that you should go ahead and chop them into even smaller pieces. Karl Marx, an economic thinker, absolutely detested the idea of countries because it would make them see each other as different and thus competition between them would start. If Asia was cut up into even smaller continents, there would obviously be less unity. If there is division, then inherently there would be a higher chance of conflict between them and thus between the world.
Vote Placed by Udel 11 months ago
Udel
SlimmeManlord_megatronTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro claims Asia should be divided because there is a large and diverse population. Con says it is the same land mass and the borders would be a problem, plus lack of unity might be an issue. Pro claims unity is impossible because there is a lot of "bad blood" between Asian countries. Con says we should encourage an Asian union. He also claims people can live peacefully in Asia which does not address Pro's argument that there is already division. However Pro does not respond to Con's argument on land mass and borders. Pro says he is "too lazy" to respond which sounds like a concession and Con wins.