Smidday
PhatnomRegiment7

Should Atheists celebrate Christmas

Smidday

Pro

I've heard that some people believe Atheists have no right to celebrate Christmas, as what they believe is that this is a celebration of the birth of Christ (This is not true) it is infact a celebration of the Winter Soltice where Earth completes is cycle around the Sun and completes its calendar, many religions celebrate this day/or period in time and do not believe in Jesus Christ.
PhatnomRegiment7

Con

I don't think that Athiests should be able to, since they do not beilive in the Christian faith, but they can be able to celebrate the "commercialized version" of the Holiday season. Think generic chirstmas, just Santa Claus and buying presents. Although everything in the Christmas holiday has its roots in Christianity and Paganism.
Smidday

Pro

Firstly Paganism has nothing to do with Christianity, infact it makes more sense, they believe that Nature and everything around us is God so they don't believe in Christ. Secondly if you believe that Christmas is a Christian holiday then you must be against atheists celebrating that. However Christianity has nothing to do with Christmas, Christian celebrate the Nativity, the so called date of birth of Jesus, no where in the bible does it state that Christ was even born in winter. Long before the story of Christ Romans, Gothics and Celts celebrated the end of December as a Winter Soltice, the pagans started the tradition of holly and mistletoe and also decorating a tree and giving gifts. The main reason it fell on December the 25th as Romans celebrated this date as the sun has completed its cycle and renewed, it basically hits its lowest axis at noon and begins to rise back up until its highest point in Spring and then back down until December 25th and so on, and so forth. The Romans adopted the Christian belief to eradicate the Paganist beliefs.

My point is that there is enough evidence against this date being the birth of Christ and even strongly supports an Atheists argument.
PhatnomRegiment7

Con

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. In the holy Roman Catholic Church Calendar, Advent, which is the season of the birth of Christ, falls on the winter season. Yes, you are right that the Romans adopted this practice of the Winter Solstice. Although, from Advent, came Christmas, which is now a Christian holiday. Winter solstice evolved from just the end of the month of december, to the tradition of the Pagans, to the practices of today. It is very recently understood that Christmas really is not a "Christian" holiday, because of the lack of christian beliefs that were integrated in the Christmas season.

Yes, there is a bit of hatred among each other because of the Romans eradicating the Pagans beliefs. But I will say that Christmas is not just about the Nativity, it is the joyful anticipation of gifts to come. Obviously the gifts given to us are Jesus, and the love of God.

No, Atheists should not celebrate this holiday. If they do not believe in the Christian faith, well, why would they? It's like a Roman Catholic celebrating Hanukkah for no apparent reason!

I happily await your coming argument.

-The Holy Roman Catholic Catechism.
Smidday

Pro

My whole argument is based on the fact that this was celebrated before the apparent birth of Christ eliminating the probability that Jesus existed and also indicating that it is not only Christian that celebrate this season, therefore defying their claim to Christmas, and I believe that Christmas is more in the line of tradition rather than faith, its about the joy of giving to loved ones a form of human feelings that no god can dictate as free will.

Most other religions also follow teachings of the bible - Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, (infact the bible follows their beliefs as these are older religions) so why is our lord (I refer to myself as I was raised Christian) any better. The reason is the whole commercialization of this holiday has been taken over if you look at Halloween and St. Valentines day these are all used as marketing ploys, and yes tradition, greed, and materialism has taken over and we are where we are, so yes I believe Atheists can and will celebrate Christmas (As it has nothing to do with Christ) just like Summer Holidays or Easter Holidays (I'm from the UK it is the equivalent of Spring Break, and for whatever reason it is still known as this)

I thank you for engaging in this topic and look forward to your argument
PhatnomRegiment7

Con

PhatnomRegiment7 forfeited this round.
Posted by Smidday 4 years ago
Smidday
I am debating for atheists to celebrate Christmas if this isn't clear enough I apologise
Posted by IX 4 years ago
IX
Also, Smidday, you're debating pro on this. Not con.
Posted by Cometflash 4 years ago
Cometflash
I don't see how one could go against this. If you change "should" with "can", is more debatable.

If you substitute, you be debating what exactly is Christmas, and maybe there is a different meaning at this point in time. You would still have a strong argument to pose, but the other side could still construct a counter argument.

If you say something "shouldn't", is kind of implying to want that something forbidden.
Posted by Smidday 4 years ago
Smidday
I'm new here so not sure of the rules, but generally just someone to justify that Christmas is a Christian holiday, however being an atheist my own points would be biased
Posted by Jessalyn 4 years ago
Jessalyn
What exactly is the resolution? I may want to debate this. I just need clarification.