jmcnutt
Sevento

Should Atheists post anti-religion videos on Youtube?

Sevento

Sevento

Pro

Hello, your article suggests you believe that people (Atheists, Christians) should keep their opinions and thoughts to themselves. I contest this. The expression of ideas and beliefs is what progresses human society, not their suppression. Atheists posting videos on YouTube is the equivalent of televised church sermons or educational tv shows...it is simply a way to spread knowledge. People have to get information from somewhere, so I completely support the atheist YouTube community and their utilization of the human right of FREE SPEECH.
jmcnutt

Con

Although I'm a fellow Atheist, sometimes I just cringe at their videos. I guess my problem isn't really with the facts they are presenting, but how they are presenting them. I personally like a lot of videos from people like "The Amazing Atheist" or "Mr. Repzion". I just don't like hearing words like "stupid" or "ignorant" in there because a lot of people already see us as argumentative and offensive. When they use bad connotations to describe religious people it just adds to the stigma that all Atheists are mean spirited people. I think it's definitely possible to live in a society where both Atheism and Theism exist without there being direct attacks from either side. In my case, I'm just going to present the facts in my blog and let whoever reads it figure it out for themselves. Maybe this isn't something we can be "nice" about but I'd like to think it is.
Sevento

Pro

I do agree with you in believing that kinder words can be used. However, this argument seems to be based against ONLY atheists. You have to take into consideration that theists also have a colorful way of expressing their beliefs, especially on YouTube. People will always find a way to attack people that are different or think different, whether it be about religion, race, gender, sexual preference, or political stance. Spend less time focusing on changing them, and do things yourself that change this dilemma. Start your own atheist channel that provides unbiased information from both religious sides.

P.S TheAtheistVoice is a very friendly atheist who can admit when he's wrong and rarely uses negative words. People like him are out there, you just have to know where to look. Sadly the negative minded YouTubers are most popular because people are naturally attracted to negativity.
jmcnutt

Con

I think we can say that we ended this on a good note. Thanks for the advice. Maybe we can debate again soon.
Sevento

Pro

Sure thing, see you around.
Posted by vi_spex 2 years ago
vi_spex
atheism is anti theism.. what do you expect
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
jmcnuttSeventoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Tie. Both had proper conduct throughout the debate. S&G - Tie. Both had adequate spelling and grammar throughout. Arguments - Pro. I think Con conceded in the final round. I'm not entirely sure but the fact that he didn't present any form of rebuttals against Pro's arguments in the final round is what cost him this debate. Next time, if it is a concession, simply type in "concession". Sources - Tie. Neither utilized sources in this debate with the intent of providing further validation to their arguments.