madduxb10
tajshar2k

Should Barry Bonds be inducted into the MLB Hall of Fame or not?

tajshar2k
Started: 7/18/2015 Category: Sports

madduxb10

Pro

First of all I would like to thank my challenger for accepting this challenge, I'm looking forward to a great debate. I am here to argue for Barry Bonds to be inducted to the MLB H.O.F. Barry Bonds had an immaculate career. He will go down in baseball history as the greatest power hitter ever. This man has the Major League Baseball record for home runs at 762. That's an amazing number. Anyone who is a fan of the game understands this. If Joc Peterson at age 22 averaged the same number of home runs a season Barry Bonds did a season and played till he was 40 he would only end up with 720 home runs. Barry Bond's record is one of the greatest sports records of all time.
tajshar2k

Con

I accept, I will argue that Bonds should not be indicted into the HOF.
madduxb10

Pro

In my mind Barry Bonds is no doubt a hall of famer. Yes I will admit it he took steroids. Barry Bonds's integrity will always be tarnished because of his PED use, but his numbers won't be. Barry Bonds was one of the most prolific hitters to ever play the game. Barry Bonds holds 3 career records, home runs, walks, and intentional walks. He walked as much as he did and still hit 762 home runs. No one will ever let go of the PED use, but I can. As a fan of baseball you have to admit that when he used PED's they weren't against the rules of major league baseball. In my eyes Barry Bonds is the greatest player ever. He is the Michael Jordan of baseball. 762 home runs, 2,500 RBIs, .298 career batting average: hall of fame numbers. Baseball "purists" use tradition as a way of saying Barry Bonds deserves to be out, but that"s as weak of an argument as the ones baseball writers smugly shoot down on a routine basis for those saying he deserves to be in. Letting Barry Bonds into the Hall of Fame is not as black and white as people may try to make you think, as the grey area extends beyond just Bonds and the steroid era and includes all of baseball. You have to wonder that if Bonds was playing just 10 years earlier, would he already be in the Hall of Fame? There is a certain point at which baseball writers being to lay down fire and brimstone on players, unfairly assuming that anyone pre-1980 wasn"t using performance enhancing drugs. Everyone is alway looking for an edge and not everyone is going to go about obtaining that edge in an honest manner. While HGH and modern steroids are new pharmaceutical enhancements to the black market vitamin game, performance enhancers like adderall and cocaine have been around for years.If you honestly believe that players in the 1900s through the 1940s weren"t tempted by the idea of using cocaine as a performance enhancing drug, then you're delusional. WHILE BONDS WAS COLLECTING THE FIRST 400 HOMES RUN, 400 STEALS CAREER OF ANYONE IN BASEBALL HISTORY, THE WRITERS WHO ARE DAMNING HIM TO BASEBALL HELL WERE BUSY DROOLING OVER THE 1998 HOME RUN CHASE BETWEEN MARK MCGWIRE AND SAMMY SOSA. This makes me more mad than anything. Barry Bonds is the only player ever to have 500 steals and home runs. If we"re going to paint black marks on all players we even suspect of using steroids, then the entire modern era is guilty. Purists use the weak argument that Barry Bonds soiled the game by pharmaceutically enhancing his body to make him a better baseball player. If that"s the case, any player using whey protein, modern vitamins and any other protein milkshake that exists now and didn't when Ty Cobb, Christie Mathewson and Mickey Mantle were playing should be judged close to how Bonds has been. The double standard is embarrassing. That"s not to say guys went to the extremes with their use of modern medicine, but factors like longer season, better technology and other enhancements to the game are written off as simple evolution. Meanwhile, Bonds is seen as a villain because he bought into the era in which he played, even though he"s not even the worst of the steroid users.If you can unequivocally say that Barry Bonds got a bigger body purely from steroid use, why is it so easy to defend the massive growth of supposedly clean players like Jeff Bagwell and Frank Thomas? If they got bigger using protein and weights, then why is it not assumed that that"s the first route Bonds tried before being pushed into steroids? This is argument is exclusive to Bonds and the handful of players like him. Bonds crosses over between the era where players were generally assumed to be clean and the era where everyone who gained more than three pounds in the offseason is a steroid abuser. Wipe the drool off your mouth for two seconds to check the numbers on Bonds before the steroid allegations kicked in. There was a solid 10-15 year period in Bonds career where he was amassing numbers in what appears to be a clean state. That can"t be discounted if players like Craig Biggio, Mike Piazza and others are going to be exonerated.
tajshar2k

Con

Thank you Pro.

To basically summarize Pro's points. He asserts the following.

1. Bonds cheated, but he should be allowed to be elected, because guys like Ty Cobb and Mickey Mantle could have potentially used drugs

2. Since guys like Jeff Bagwell used drugs, why is Bonds getting all the blame?

To begin, Pro already admits that Bond used PEDS. This already is a big offense. How could you knowingly give somebody a place in the HOF, when you know he used PEDS? As a former fan of Alex Rodriguez, I would never support allowing that cheater take a place in the HOF. You keep saying that Mickey Mantle should be have been monitored closely. That technology
never existed back then, so we would never know. However, this debate isn't about Mickey Mantle, but Barry Bonds. Since Barry Bonds has taken PEDS, he shouldn't be accepted into thE HOF

madduxb10

Pro

madduxb10 forfeited this round.
tajshar2k

Con

I'll wait for my oppoonent to refute my argument first.
madduxb10

Pro

madduxb10 forfeited this round.
tajshar2k

Con

Bonds is a cheater. He shouldn't be allowed in the HOF.
madduxb10

Pro

madduxb10 forfeited this round.
tajshar2k

Con

Vote Con.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
madduxb10tajshar2kTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff many times, so conduct to Con
Vote Placed by Kozu 1 year ago
Kozu
madduxb10tajshar2kTied
Reasons for voting decision: Not sure who Barry Bonds is, but I guess that doesn't matter. Pro FF everything after R2, so he must have agreed with whatever Con last said. GG Con