Niklas
Kumquatodor

Should Bible teaching be banned from public schools?

Kumquatodor

Niklas

Con

I believe that it should be encouraged to teach about the Bible because it can be healthy for the young mind to do some critical thinking on a matter as important as religion. I am an Atheist, but I am speaking my mind from a Christian standpoint. I see nothing "unconstitutional" about teaching about the religion America was founded upon. I may be an Atheist, but I am proud to be able to speak this from both sides, but I find it compelling that it be spoken from a Christian standpoint.
Kumquatodor

Pro

Oh, the irony! I am a Christian, who happens to oppose the Teaching of the Bible in school, while you are an atheist who supports such teaching!

Just so the readers and I have a clearer idea, do you mean Creationism, Intelligent Design, etc., or do you strictly the history and effects of the Bible? I have an arguement against both.

Seeing as first round is usually acceptance, I shalln't make any arguments or rebuttals. I will say this, though: The United States is, in no way, founded on Christian values.
Niklas

Con

Sorry it took so long I have a busy school life ;) To answer you questioning believe the schools should be able to teach evolution OR creation but should teach the history described in the Bible. It has been a reliable reference tool when it comes to pre-renaissance era leadership. One thing: I would like to see proof that America was not founded on Christian values. I do not believe the Earth was around for billions of years, which is why I believe in macroevolution. One reason why Bible teaching should be allowed is because it can be used a reference tool to that period of history, as with other Christian manuscripts from that era. What I was first thinking when I came up with this topic: Why? I think it is a very compelling issue to date, and needs to be addressed. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think teaching Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, etc. is banned from the public school system. If those can be taught, why not Christianity? I will close with this: I believe people are out to prove Christianity wrong. But, I am only 12, and I have not experienced anything that has brought me to God in my life. Please, if you have ANY issues or corrections to be made, leave them in the comments section.
Kumquatodor

Pro

Sorry it took so long I have a busy school life
So do I. Take your time. We're both busy.
_______
To answer you questioning believe the schools should be able to teach evolution OR creation
NO! Teaching creationism, even as an alternative, is one of the worst ideas ever conceived by man or beast.

Reason 1: Creationism is disproved by scientists to the point that "Creationism" has become a dirty word in the scientific community. There is not even one argument that cannot be disproved by scientific reason.

Reason 2: The majority of Creationists don't even agree on their hypothesises. What do we teach? The Hovind Theory? The Young Earth Theory? Intelligent design? Evolutionary Creationism? There are literally thousands of "theories" put forth. So take your pick of (disproven) hypothesis.

We could have a whole debate on Creationism, and I would show you that Creationism is not viable.
___________________________________________________________________________________
One thing: I would like to see proof that America was not founded on Christian values
1. Art. 11 (The Treaty of Tripoli) of the Constitution of the United States of America: "the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

There is proof, from the Constitution, no less.

2. "In God we Trust" was added to currency in 1957 in order to unite America against the Red Cause.

3. "Under God" was added to the Pledge of Alliegance in 1954 in order to (again) unite America against Communism.

You see. Two of the most famous phrases supporting a religious founding were added (with contro-versy) 181 years AFTER the founding of America.

4. Thomas Jefferson rewrote the New Testimate, removing all miracles and supernatural elements that "corrupted" it.

5. George Washington, though Christian, continuously stated that the Government was independent from Religion.

6. John Douglass and John Adams stood with Jefferson.
______________________________________________
I do not believe the Earth was around for billions of years,
I could, again, prove that Earth is about 4.54 billion years. Just ask.
_________________________________________________________
which is why I believe in macroevolution.
Dude... You HAVE to believe microevolution in order to believe in macroevolution! Macroevolution is just the effects of microevolution! They are not independent theories!
___________________________________________________________
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think teaching Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, etc. is banned from the public school system. If those can be taught, why not Christianity?
Christian history is taught in (at least my) school, along with Hinduism, Bhuddism, and Islam. However, all of them should be banned.

A minor note: Judaism's book IS the Christians' Old Testimate; they call it the Torah.
_______________________________________________________________________
I believe people are out to prove Christianity wrong.
We scientists are NOT out to prove Christianity wrong; we are out to figure out the truth, and an invisible man in the sky (who may or may not be His own father and son) who gives us rules to live by (and punishes us with torture) is not viable.
_____________________________________
And to the issue at hand:

but should teach the history described in the Bible. It has been a reliable reference tool when it comes to pre-renaissance era leadership.
What leadership? The unnamed "Pharoah"? Moses?

Oh, King David? The one who killed a giant?

Solomon? The one in the book with a talking snake?

My point is: we don't know how much of the Bible is reliable history, and the actual kings' acts are rooted in a story that is questionable at best.
______________________________________

Niklas

Con

(Slowly backs away, conceiving defeat) I will make one last comment: How can God exist if science has confirmed the law of biogenesis?
Kumquatodor

Pro

I WIN! I'M OFF TO RAVE ABOUT RAINBOW DASH'S ATTRACTIVENESS!

To answer your question: take religion on faith, and science on evidence. AND KEEP RELIGION TO YOURSELF!
Posted by SimpleObserverofThings 3 years ago
SimpleObserverofThings
What in the flying F......
Posted by cfitz22 3 years ago
cfitz22
Ironic atheists who think that Bible study needs to be in public schools? *gets popcorn*
Posted by cfitz22 3 years ago
cfitz22
Posted by cfitz22 3 years ago
cfitz22
Posted by cfitz22 3 years ago
cfitz22
Posted by cfitz22 3 years ago
cfitz22
Posted by cfitz22 3 years ago
cfitz22
Posted by cfitz22 3 years ago
cfitz22
Posted by xenkenny 3 years ago
xenkenny
In a world history class, sure. However teach all religions and religious books. A full bible study class in a public school would be unconstitutional.

Clubs can do what they want.
Posted by Disquisition 3 years ago
Disquisition
Well in most public schools they teach evolution.........just saying

But I agree with you
Vote Placed by HeartOfGod 3 years ago
HeartOfGod
NiklasKumquatodorTied
Reasons for voting decision: The country is not based on Christian values, so there is no reason to teach it. That argument from pro made me vote fro pro.