csinger
sidewinder

Should Birdman should have won Best Picture?

csinger

Con

Though Birdman offered an amazing screenplay brought to life by a daring yet genius director and actor combination, Boyhood should've took home the win. Birdman was entertaining, but Boyhood was both revolutionary and brilliant. It brought about a completely new form of film making, and it paved the way for thousands of filmmakers in the future. Just like Gone With the Wind did at the first Oscars, Boyhood was bold, daring, authentic, and widely successful. Birdman's meager mind play was mediocre compared to a beautifully real and retrospective look on the trials and tribulations of growing up in the 21st century. Therefore Boyhood was very deserving of Best Picture Vs. Birdman.
sidewinder

Pro

My opponent has fundamentally missed many of the morals and points of the film Birdman which in my opinion has a much more compelling story than Boyhood. While the film Boyhood focused on the struggles of a boy growing up and a mothers dissolution with love Birdman strikes a greater depth of characters with the actor Riggan Thomas, a washed up actor searching for a purpose fabulously played by Micheal Keaton, must struggle with a rapidly changing world, a daughter he wasn't understand, a snobbishness in actors he has never seen, and the overwhelming sense that what he does doesn't matter. This indecision rather than just being shown with facial expressions and personal monologues is delivered through his alter ego birdman that encourages him to seek fame and ignore his artistic attempt to matter. Meanwhile his daughter, played extraordinarily well by Emma Stone, has already given up on caring about her image and has devolved into a life of drugs and callow relationships despite her enormous drive and excellent recognition on the intricacies of our modern world. Meanwhile Edward plays the stereotypical Broadway actor who quickly breaks out of his self created bubble by reviling that he is just as scared as of not mattering as Micheal Keaton's character is. The only character that rivals these complexities is the boy in boyhood who's struggles everyone can identify with . However,his mother in my opinion falls into the stereotype of a woman making to many poor decisions in her life despite her good intent. Meanwhile the fathers in the movie often fundamentally fail as 3 dimensional characters with the drunk stepfather being the most predominant. I also finding the shooting technique of Birdman to be much more impressive because of the skill involved to pull off a one shoot film. The film shoot over 12 years though interesting could technically be pulled off by any actor given enough time. For these reasons I believe that Birdamn is a better movie than Boyhood and is more than just worthy of the best picture category.
csinger

Con

My opponent has made many valid points about the acting and character development in the movie Birdman. Therefore it can be argued that Best Actor/Supporting Actress were awards that Birdman should have won, which I agree. However, there are other key factors besides acting that goes into a film. Boyhood offers an introspective look in the life of an average middle class family growing up. This is something that as an audience member I can reside with much more easily with than a look into the life of a mentally ill Hollywood actor. Another point that I think is important to make is that Boyhood offers truth to many very true to life situations a young adolescent goes through. Personally as a young adult who has grown up in a semi-dysfunctional family I found scenes like the one where the stepfather throws a scotch glass at the main characters head out of sloppy drunkenness to hit a very deep part of the heart. Boyhood wonderfully and deeply evoked deep feeling by showing a daringly brilliant passage of time. One last thing that HAS to be considered is that Boyhood has pioneered a new generation of film making. Boyhood has paved the way for future films where Birdman simply took old techniques and meshed them together. Richard Linklater and the cast of Boyhood has completely re imagined a way to tell a compelling story to an audience, and for that it deserves international recognition because I do not doubt that it has sparked a completely new movement of storytelling.
sidewinder

Pro

sidewinder forfeited this round.
csinger

Con

csinger forfeited this round.
sidewinder

Pro

sidewinder forfeited this round.