2Sense
UltimateRussian

Should Black History Month exist?

2Sense

2Sense

Pro

In recognition of Black History Month (BHM), I want to bring up the age-old debate concerning the necessity of a Black History Month existing in modern-day United States of America. I will be taking the Pro position in this debate, which is that a BHM should indeed exist in the US, and explain the benefits that the month serves to people. The burden of my opponent will be to provide negative effects of the month, explain in detail how those effects outweigh the positive, and prove that those effects are indicative of BHM no longer needing to exist.

First round will be acceptance. I look forward to reading my opponent's arguments.
UltimateRussian

Con

Firstly there has never been a white history month, just because most of the modern day society or western society is white doesnt mean that blacks need to be celebrated. However i do believe people need to stop being rascist.
2Sense

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting the debate.

My main arguments:

1) America's perception regarding African Americans' histories is highly influenced and limited by mainstream media that conveys only a small perspective on black history. BHM provides insight to the fuller depth of African/African American history that extends beyond slavery and what's already commonly known. It brings to light facts, events, and ideas that the masses would otherwise never consider if not for BHM's existence.

Thus,

2) BHM promotes a culture of understanding and appreciation throughout all races. It promotes the eventual normalization of all histories, not just one.

To address my opponent's point, lack of a WHM does not negate the importance of a BHM. All cultural groups should be recognized for their historical and current contributions to society. Since "white history" is incorporated in every day society, that celebration and recognition is already in place and therefore normalized.
UltimateRussian

Con

I would like to acknowledge the skills of my opponent and see validity in his points however by having an entire month dedicated to blacks supports the common stereotype that blacks are better at getting girls, not that it maters and at being athletic by paying extra attention to blacks through BHM it is actually insulting the blacks themselves.
2Sense

Pro

I do not see the correlation between recognizing the historical roles Africans/African Americans played in American society and the athletic/dating abilities of modern black males.

The intent of BHM is not to make one race feel superior to another. The intent is to present historical events and contributions made that comprises an important portion of human history. Particularly those of which are not considered on a daily basis. BHM, again, is meant to culminate appreciation of all histories, not one.

My opponent's point needs to be further explained before I can attempt to provide a rebuttal. Meaning, my opponent needs to explain the correlation between modern stereotypes and the intent of BHM, why that correlation outweighs the efficacy of BHM, and why that correlation means BHM is no longer necessary and should no longer exist.

To reiterate from our brief conversation in the comments, round 4 will be final rebuttals and conclusions.
UltimateRussian

Con

Because the modern stereotype is that bpack people are essentially better in many was that young people care about ie dating and sports. The extra attention paid to blacks in BHM will prove this to be true by paying attention to. The stereotype and not ignoring the fact that blacks are the same as all of us.
2Sense

Pro

My opponent has provided no evidence that indicates BHM directly perpetuates the supposed modern stereotype that black people are more proficient in dating in sports than other cultures. Nor has he provided any reason as to how this presumedly negative effect outweighs the benefits of BHM.

Conclusion:
BHM helps educate the public of the importance other cultures played in American history, thus promoting understanding, appreciation, and eventual normalization of other cultures' histories.

http://www.conservativeblog.org...

BHM serves as an annual reminder of the varying histories of African/African Americans. The intent is that these histories will eventually become a common part of American history.

1) http://www.pbs.org...
2) http://www.conservativeblog.org...
UltimateRussian

Con

You see because black history month generates interest and pays attention to black culture which is perfectly ok to me, this attention translates to the fact that since blacks receive additional attention this supports the stereotype of blacks being more athletic and better at picking up girls because the youth of western civilization often comment on this and make jokes about this, therefore bringing more attention to blacks. However since this stereotype is not true and can be offensive by giving more attention to blacks through BHM you are supporting this stereotype because the stereotype causes blacks to receive special attention especially in the youth and teens of America. I hope this clears up my point and thank you for this interesting debate 2sense!
Posted by Hierocles 2 years ago
Hierocles
This is worth a watch, James Baldwin said there ought to be a white history week -
Posted by 2Sense 2 years ago
2Sense
It's fine. Thank you for the debate, and good luck in the finale round!
Posted by UltimateRussian 2 years ago
UltimateRussian
Sorry
Posted by 2Sense 2 years ago
2Sense
For the sake of accuracy on your part, I'm female, not male.
Posted by UltimateRussian 2 years ago
UltimateRussian
Sorry debating on my phone excuse the spelling errors
Posted by UltimateRussian 2 years ago
UltimateRussian
Hello I am awaitinv our debate. Note I am not a hater of blacks but rascists in general I don't think that blacks deserve to. Be considered any different from whites.
Posted by 2Sense 2 years ago
2Sense
Hi there, Round 1 was only supposed to be acceptance. You can introduce more arguments in round 2 if you want. Rounds 2 and 3 will be arguments and rebuttals, and round 4 will be conclusions.

Sorry for not making that clear before. Good luck!
Vote Placed by ambivalentsoul 2 years ago
ambivalentsoul
2SenseUltimateRussianTied
Reasons for voting decision: .
Vote Placed by Grandbudda 2 years ago
Grandbudda
2SenseUltimateRussianTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con didn't make his case, but neither really did Pro. Pro did a more eloquent way of expressing himself.
Vote Placed by Hierocles 2 years ago
Hierocles
2SenseUltimateRussianTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro provided decent arguments and supported them with evidence. Con, inexplicably, believes that all BHM does it spread stereotypes about the prowess of black men. Con provided no evidence for this argument, and failed to consider that most BHM, as PRO argued,, celebrates the success of past black leaders in various fields -i.e MLK, George Washington Carver, Obama, etc.