Should Black Lives Matter be considered a terrorist organization?

Robins has forfeited round #3.

I believe that the Black Lives Matter group should be considered as a terrorist organization. My opponent will believe that they shouldn't be considered as a terrorist organization. Good luck to my opponent and thank you for accepting the challenge!

Black Lives Matter has none of the characteristics typically associated with terrorist organizations. Classifying the BLM movement as such is disingenuous, as the the overwhelming majority of its supporters do not advocate for violence. Terrorist acts carried out by two individuals are by no means indicative of the aims and methods of the entire Black Lives Matter movement.

Terrorism is defined as "the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims". Black Lives Matter is a perfect example of a group fitting this description. In August of 2014, protesters started riots in the streets of Ferguson, Missouri and took advantage of the shooting of Michael Brown, to loot convenience stores and throw rocks and bottles at the police offers who protect them everyday. On the night of August 13th, protesters were throwing Molotov cocktails at the police, which were intended to set the police officers ablaze. All this, because a police officer needed to protect his own life from a criminal whose intentions were to take his. I understand that Black Lives Matter protesters are fighting for equal rights, but they need to do it in a peaceful way that doesn't make their actions seem like terrorism. In Baltimore, Maryland in 2015 after the death of Freddie Gray, which was unnecessary, protesters were extremely violent towards police officers. Protesters damaged at least five police vehicles and pelted the police with rocks. On April 27th, near Mondawmin Mall, 75-100 protesters began throwing bricks and bottles at the police. Bricks can obviously kill people and throwing them is, in my opinion, a very violent form of protest. Fast forward to very recently, in Dallas, Texas, where Micah X. Johnson shot and killed 6 police officers and injured 11 others before eventually taking his own life. Just yesterday, three police offers were killed in Baton Rouge by Gavin Long. Should we start to call the Black Lives Matter group the National Police Discrimination Organization? If these actions taken by protesters isn't considered violence, then I don't know what is. I'm looking forward to hearing your response.

The acts of violence you cite are terrible, yes, but they are not acts perpetrated by the BLM movement itself. Acts of violence committed by individual 'bad eggs' do not flip the entire Black Lives Matter movement into a terrorist organization.

What about the vast majority of protesters who have marched all over this country while committing no violence? Are they to be painted with the same brush as a few bad actors? It's disingenuous not to distinguish between the acts of individual actors and the aims and methods of an entire movement.

In the tradition of Dr. King, BLM advocates for non-violent protests. Nowhere will you find a BLM manifesto or charter that advocates for violence against police. Further, nowhere will you find a leader within the movement who advocates for violence. Individuals? Well yes, perhaps - but the actions of a few individuals who are loosely affiliated with a broad movement cannot be held up as representing the entire movement.

Black Lives Matter is made up of a wide coalition of citizens, a small minority of whom have acted out violently. Those actions by no means make the entire movement into a terrorist organization - a term that implies coordinated aims and methods. Rather, it would be more accurate to characterize BLM as a decentralized protest movement - a banner which any individual, in any location is free to raise. It just so happens that a small minority of the people raising that banner have acted-out violently. But the actions of the few should not color the aims of the many.

I understand and agree with the fact that a few bad apples in the bunch does not make the entire bunch a bad group. However, there are not a few bad apples. There are many. 75-100 protesters associated with the Black Lives Matter organization, directly assaulting the police officers, is in my eyes, a terrorist attack. When there are three different shootings committed by Black Lives Matter supporters, which were intended to KILL police officers, I think it is safe to call each and every one of those shootings, terrorist attacks, committed by the Black Lives Matter organization. Black Lives Matter directly links a shooting where a white man shoots a black man with racism, no matter the contradicting evidence. They are protesting the police more than they are protesting unequal treatment towards African-Americans. These protests inspire these terrorist attacks, which I believe then makes it appropriate to call Black Lives Matter a terrorist organization. Again, terrorism is defined as "the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims". Thank you for debating me. Good luck..
Posted by Robins 3 months ago
The name means 'black lives matter too'
Posted by brontoraptor 3 months ago
Yes. Only black lives matter.