mananlak
Anon_Y_Mous

Should Blue Shells be removed from Mario Kart?

Anon_Y_Mous

mananlak

Pro

I believe the blue shell item should be removed from future Mario Kart games.
This is my first debate and I am looking forward to it.
Anon_Y_Mous

Con

Generally, the first round is for acceptance only. In the second round, the instigator presents some, if not all, of their arguments, then the debate should develop naturally from there.

I believe that blue shells add a layer of strategy to the Mario Kart franchise, and the series would be incomplete without the iconic power-up.

Best of luck in your first debate!
mananlak

Pro

I would first like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate.
I believe that blue shells should be removed from Mario kart because it is an infuriating item that doesn't help the person who uses it. the person who throws it is almost always in or near last place. Hitting the person in 1st generally doesn't benefit them in anyway. It is an unbalanced item, as there is almost no way to counter it. It punishes the player for being in 1st. Items should be balanced and possible to counter. The blue shell, however, is not. The items that truly add strategy to the game are the ones that you are able to counter with skill, and use strategically, such as the banana (which is planted in places strategically), or shells (which are aimed with skill). The blue shell takes away the skill in the game and turns it into a game of luck.
Once again, I would like to thank my opponent for accepting.
Anon_Y_Mous

Con

I understand your frustration with notorious item, and, admittedly, I used to feel the same way. But now, I've begun to see the hidden beauty of the Blue Shell:

1) Balance
Mario Kart has several variables that even the playing field. They include a subtle boost in speed for racers farther later in the field, as well as a myriad of superior items exclusive to the back of the pack. There are many advantages to being last, but there's only one disadvantage to being first, the Blue Shell. It is really the only thing that ensures that some lucky player with several consecutive golden mushrooms doesn't get ahead and stay there. I've seen several occasions where

2) Lets all the players play
Even the less skilled players can have a lasting effect on the front field with blue shells. There are few other games that can boast such a perfect balance of skill and luck.

3) The Blue Shell isn't fool proof
As you admitted, there is almost no way to counter it. Almost.
Currently, the most well known way is to fall back to second the instant you see someone get the item, and this method works moderately well, but usually results in a fair portion of the field going into reverse to avoid the blast.
The second way is significantly more circumstantial. In recent games, if one is in first place, and has a mushroom or is approaching a boost panel, with some good timing, they can speed out of the blast radius, with no loss in speed.
Now, the third way isn't really for avoidance, but more of an observation I've made. The most dramatic example was a four player, four computer(all set to hard mode) race, in which I was hit by three consecutive Blue Shells. I didn't fall to second place once. My point is, if one is skilled enough, even the most powerful item in the game can't stop them.
mananlak

Pro

I am sorry for the late response.
1:Those in last place who get golden mushrooms probably wont be able to instantly make it to 1st. If they do, then they won't get too far ahead and can still be wiped out my 2nd. Also, I don't believe you finished your argument here, and I tried to respond with what I had.

2:Even if they are able to have an effect;
a)They won't actually be able to benefit themselves. As you said before, only players in the back get the blues shell. Hitting 1st place doesn't really help someone in last, so the only "lasting effect" they have that benefits them is that someone will get angry at them. Someone in last might even be angry for getting the blue shell in last place because it won't even help them.
b)They won't necessarily even HAVE a "lasting effect" on the field, as you mentioned. 1st place may even just dodge the shell and be done with it.

3:You are right, and I do know there are a few ways to counter the thing, but to dodge it, you still need the luck to have a mushroom and boost panel for the 2nd, only effective way. The 3rd way, the "observation", is incredibly hard to pull off. And maybe you have the skill, but if you are hit in the 3rd lap? No hope for recovery.(I also don't think it is the most powerful item, just the most annoying. We can have another debate on that if you want).

In conclusion, I do believe that this is sufficient reason the blue shell should be removed. If they aren't, at least there should be some changes to it to make it less severe, such as extra recovery time so you don't get hit by a shell afterwards.
Anon_Y_Mous

Con

1: Well. . . That's embarassing. I guess I just got distracted or something. Since this is the last round, I won't add any arguments.

Remember, last place isn't always far behind first. Oftentimes, all the karts are clustered together in a small area on the field. But the players in last still receive the same items as if they were back by half a lap. Also, the golden mushroom isn't exclusive to eighth place, it's just more common. When either of these things happens, an unbalanced item can send the recipient so far ahead of the competition that most items are simply outranged. Even red shells have their limit, it's not uncommon to see one break on a banana peel or other obstacle.

2:
a) In Mario Kart DS, this was true. The blue shell would fly above the karts until it slammed into the leader. However, in the most recent version, Mario Kart 7, the Blue Shell travels at ground level, crashing every kart it touches. This can be devastating to many racers, not just first place. Also, when the Blue Shell does hit first place, there is an explosion that damages all karts nearby, to varying degrees, depending on how close they were to the center.
b) Even if first place dodges, the blast can still spin cars farther behind. And there are still all the karts that the Blue Shell hits on it's way to first.

3: It may just be a typo, but you said 'have a mushroom AND boost panel'. The fact is that you need either one of those, or just any way to get a sudden boost of speed. I agree that the third way is nearly impossible, but it serves as proof that one can still win if hit. Also, I wasn't hit in the third lap, but I wasn't passed, so there was no recovery. (You're right, the Blue Shell isn't the most devastating item. It's the lucky seven on shells only mode. Seven red shells spinning around your kart. It's horrifying.)

I believe that the Blue Shell is an iconic part of the Mario Kart franchise, and any game following in the series would be unworthy of it's name without the legendary item.
Posted by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
Why didn't I see thissssssssssss *rages*
Posted by xenomicx 4 years ago
xenomicx
I really wanted to vote on this. I joined this site just to vote on this, but i cant because i havent debated yet.
Posted by RyuuKyuzo 4 years ago
RyuuKyuzo
Finally, a topic that matters!

I'll read through this and vote right away =)
Posted by mananlak 4 years ago
mananlak
*or

Sorry, I had to rush and couldn't proofread with only 3 minutes left.
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 4 years ago
Logical-Master
mananlakAnon_Y_MousTied
Reasons for voting decision: For me, the debate came down to whether the blue shell was an unbalanced item. As PRO proved, there really is almost no way to counter it. CON cites a few ways, but each is unpersuasive since they are either unlikely or involve a matter of sacrificing your position (which I find counterproductive in a racing game). In short, the blue shell is simply a feel-good game mechanic.
Vote Placed by Walrus101 4 years ago
Walrus101
mananlakAnon_Y_MousTied
Reasons for voting decision: I do in fact think that the blue shell is an useful part to the MarioKart Franchise. Without the blue shell, one could not hope to get close to one who is very far ahead of the pack. If you turn power-ups off, whoever is in first will likely stay there for the rest of the race if we didn't have blue shells. I would like to say that this is especially true for Mario Kart 7, where the Karts do in fact have dramatic speed differences. Con had better points and grammar, along with conduct. I felt as if the Pro thanked the con too much, trying to earn himself some conduct points. No sources came from either pro nor con.
Vote Placed by effimero89 4 years ago
effimero89
mananlakAnon_Y_MousTied
Reasons for voting decision: I personally like the blue shell in the game but both actually made good points on the subject. Its also nice to see a debate without sources because that gets pretty old
Vote Placed by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
mananlakAnon_Y_MousTied
Reasons for voting decision: the blue shell has ended more friendships then monopoly and the 'draw four' card in uno combined, however it is still an iconic part of the game and is meant to keep the game more balanced, so I ultimately give arguments to the con. Conduct to the pro for making a debate I havent ever seen before though