RednWhiteBalla
DebateMomma

Should Breastfeeding be allowed in public places?

RednWhiteBalla

Con

This is my first debate on here and I'm doing so to help me write a paper in school, so help me out with some good arguments, please.
DebateMomma

Pro

I will accept your argument! Being a mother who wasn't able to nurse I am very with those who can. I was lucky I was able to pump for the first 6mo of my daughters life.
RednWhiteBalla

Con

First, I'd like to thank you for accepting the debate.

I will begin by saying that, for breastfed babies, breastfeeding is the only option until the child is 5-6 months old. So, for those few months, there isn't one scenario that makes it totally necessary for a woman to breastfeed her child in public. Be decent.
DebateMomma

Pro

Okayyy, well first of all I did not understand that first sentence at all, but, breastfeeding is the best option for feeding a baby. It has vitamins and nutrition in it that formula doesn't have. It can also produce enzymes to fight infections and sicknesses. When a baby is breastfed they almost never take to a bottle and will refuse, being a bottle is different shape and texture than a nipple. What is so indecent about feeding a hungry baby? Would you rather they scream and cry because they are starving? The mother is doing best for her baby.
RednWhiteBalla

Con

"For breastfed babies, breastfeeding is the only option until the child is 5-6 months old." Meaning that, when the baby reaches that point, they can also have baby food or cereals. They are also more interactive, so more easily entertained to prevent the "screaming and crying". If a mother is going out in public with her baby, she can feed it before they leave the house. If their errands take long enough to require multiple feedings, there are places to go about it, such as bathrooms or vehicles.
DebateMomma

Pro

Okay I would first like to address "interactive" and "easily entertained" distracted your starving child so that they don't cry is down right TERRIBLE parenting, especially when the food source is available to them. Second, I'm sorry but would you like to eat in a bathroom? That is very unsanitary and not an ideal situation. NIP is protected by law. Women have the right to Nurse In Public without having to cover. Would you eat with a blanket over your head? In a car? That is not a comfortable situation. Especially in the summer. The sad fact is that the female body is sexualized, and if it weren't for that breastfeeding, which is the breasts natural intention, would not be frowned upon or looked at as disgusting. Also, even when the baby turns 6 months old and is able to eat purees or maybe even LED wean depending on which route the parent decides to go, the milk is still their main food source, breast milk has all the nutrients a baby needs and it is best to breastfeed a baby for the entire first year of their life, if not longer. Breastmilk help with body and brain development and provides everything the baby needs it can be used to cure sickness and some breastfeeding mothers use it to cure pink eye, which I have done and it works, dry skin, cradle cap, it is very versatile and all in good ways.
RednWhiteBalla

Con

I am not arguing the benefits of breastfeeding with you. Just simply whether or not it should be allowed in public. And the resolution is simple. People feel so entitled to do what makes them the most comfortable or happy that they disregard others around them. Modesty and morals are getting lower and lower with each passing generation. I, for one, don't want to be in a store, restaurant, etc. With my kids and have them exposed to a woman's breasts. That's indecent and even disgusting depending on the scenario.
DebateMomma

Pro

Breastfeeding is natural!!! Breasts are natural!!! Your child is going to learn what they are one way or another and what is so wrong with a child seeing another child being fed. It is natural!!! It's not disgusting what is disgusting is that our world has gotten to the point where everyone is sexualizing breasts so breastfeeding is now taboo. I, for one, do want to be in a store, restaurant, ect. with or without my kid and see a woman breastfeeding. I would love to see a mother breastfeeding her child, I would love to walk up to her and tell her how amazing she is and what a wonderful job she is doing because she is not letting society keep her from taking care of her child. It is indecent and disgusting how opinionated society is and how they have to be in everyone elses business. Breastfeeding in public is protected by law. A mother has a right to feed her child in any public or private place where she has permission to be. If you don't like it you turn away and don't watch, what you don't do is tell a woman that she is 'disgusting' for taking care of her child.
RednWhiteBalla

Con

It doesn't matter if it's protected by law! We're debating whether or not it should be. Also, not telling "a woman that she is 'disgusting' for taking her child" but telling her that IT'S disgusting that she do it openly in a public place. Cover up. There are plenty of garments that make it comfortable and control the temperature to appeal to both the mother amd the child AND passersby who don't want themselves or their children to see the breasts. ESPECIALLY when there are plenty of ways around it. (I.e. pumping breastmilk previously and having it prepared in a bottle, vehicle, or a private area) Looking over the main clashes; breastfeeding IS natural, however, so are plenty of other natural things that you dont want to see in public like sex, urinating, defecating, or even that couple in high school that enjoyed kissing in the halls WAY too much. Another clash, breasts being sexualized. Breasts are one of the top erogenous zones on the human body. They're NATURALLY sexualized. Modesty is dying in our society because people feel so entitled to do what makes them the most comfortable or happy that they disregard others around them. Modesty and morals date back way longer than ya think. Here's an example, "Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves". (Genesis 3:7 NIV) As I said at the end of my first argument, be decent.
DebateMomma

Pro

DebateMomma forfeited this round.
Posted by Jonbonbon 1 year ago
Jonbonbon
As a natural process of the human body for nourishing the young, I think it should be completely acceptable. Besides, plenty of clothing articles exist to help hold the baby while covering the breast in case anyone gets offended by seeing the female version of what everyone has on there chest.