Atheistvoice
RapidCurrents

Should Britain Reform Its Voting System?

Atheistvoice

Pro

Britain has had an undemocratic and unfair voting system for too long now. Its time to change it.
RapidCurrents

Con

My opinion, I believe that Britain's Voting System is perfectly stable. The British Voting System uses the Electoral voting system; in which the people of Britain vote for representatives, so the representatives can vote for their candidate. How is that unfair? The people's votes are being heard through one of their representatives of choice! Also, you stated that Britain's voting system is undemocratic. May I point out to you, that Britain is a very historic country. It's been a colonized, and well developed country for hundreds of years.

If Britain would like to change their voting system to a more "democratic" system, their legacy and history would be diminished. Britain needs to stay the same, and so does its voting system.
Atheistvoice

Pro

I want to thank con for accepting this debate.

My opponent asks the reasonable question, the people of Britain vote for representatives, so the representatives can vote for their candidate. How is that unfair? Well in my opinion it is deeply unfair because the number of seats in the house of commons, where the decisions are made, do not reflect how the people voted. For instance, the Uk Independence Party got 12% of the vote yet only 1 out of 650 seats in the house of commons. Yet the SNP only got 4.5% of the vote roughly yet they got 56 out of 650 seats. It is even more deeply unfair when only 36% of the population voted for the conservative party yet they have a majority in the house of commons.

I struggle to understamd your point that Britain is a developed country for hundreds of years and therefore we should continue with a stupid voting system that is not representative. Why would the legacy and history of a country be diminished by making the country in question more democratic. You say that Britain needs to stay the same, does that mean that all our laws should stay the same even if their redundent, of course not. Our voting system is redundent and needs to be changed.

I await my opponents response.
RapidCurrents

Con

RapidCurrents forfeited this round.
Atheistvoice

Pro

My opponent has forfeited this last round, can my opponent make sure he or she posts their next argument so we can continue the debate.
RapidCurrents

Con

RapidCurrents forfeited this round.
Atheistvoice

Pro

My opponent has forfeited yet again. I think we can safely say he won't reappear to this debate.

I have laid out my argument and con has failed to respond. Vote pro.
RapidCurrents

Con

RapidCurrents forfeited this round.
Posted by Francie123 1 year ago
Francie123
Nice debate! There's so many good arguments for both sides, this'll be good. I shall restrain myself from giving examples :P

P.S. Spelling and grammar, Pro, spelling and grammar :)