Mya5101
Complicated_Mind

Should Bullies Be criminalised?

Complicated_Mind

Mya5101

Pro

Bullies should be criminalised and have jail time because, the actions of a bully can lead a victim into a negitive emotional state. Althoguht a vitcim can already be depressed or emotional unstable before bullying began the continus abuse can lead a victim, wether emotion unstable to begin with or not, to death
Complicated_Mind

Con

Hello, Mya5101. I would like to thank you for instigating an interesting topic to discuss. I look forward to a very riveting debate.

Since you didn't specify the rules of this debate, I will make them myself:

Round 1: Acceptance and Introductions

Round 2: Core Case/clash

Round 3: Rebuttals & more clash

Round 4: Rebuttals (no clash) and closings

Burden of proof will fall on PRO on why criminalizing bullies would be our best option.

[1]: Meaning of criminalize: to make (something) illegal.

My Introduction:

I will introduce myself by saying that, though I am against bullying and my condolences go out to those who are bullied, criminalizing bullying would be very rash and extremely drastic. I also think it would be more of a hindrance rather than a helpful solution, and it would ruin more lives than help. I think better options can be taken into consideration, all of which I will discuss in the following rounds.

I would love to go on about this in more description, and I have a few more main points, but I'm afraid I will have to draw this round to a close. I will do my main arguments in round two.

Lastly, I would like to ask my opponent to explain what punishments she would want to ensue on bullies.

[1]: http://www.merriam-webster.com...

Mya5101

Pro

Mya5101 forfeited this round.
Complicated_Mind

Con

Hello again, Mya5101. It is unfortunate that my opponent has decided to forfeit this round. I would still like to thank her for instigating a rather interesting topic, though. I will put my arguments below. I will rebut your claims from round one in the next round. I refuse to let this potential debate go to a complete waste, so I will still post my main arguments as promised. Hopefully my opponent will choose to respond in the following rounds. I guess I will have burden of proof now...

I would like to point out that PRO has not specified the exact punishments that would follow a student should they get caught by authority bullying another student. She has specified that she would want them to get jail time, however more specification is needed for this debate to be structured. Other things aren't specified by PRO, so I will have to assume the role of putting forth these statements:

Clarification

I will have to assume that by your title “Should bullies be criminalized?” you are debating me on whether or not bullies in general should be criminalized by being put into criminal facilities. This includes meager teasing which can be classified as a subset of bullying.

[1]: Meaning of bullying: A person who is habitually cruel or overbearing, especially to smaller or weaker people.

On this stance I am CON, and are therefore against such a proposal while Mya5101 is for such a law. In the space provided below I will post my main arguments:

Almost Everyone is Involved

I would like to start my first argument by putting forth the statement that so many students are involved in bullying. [2]: Some surveys and studies suggest that as many a 77 percent of students are bullied in grades K-12. Can you imagine all the students that would have to be put in juvenile hall or other criminal facilities made for minors? This would overburden law enforcers, such as police officers. On a daily basis in every school in the country, tens or even hundreds of students per school would be getting expelled and taken to criminal facilities. In result of that, facilities such as jails and juvenile halls would overcrowd. Following this the government will have to spend taxpayers money on building new facilities. Think of all the people you've ever seen insulting another person in your life, especially at school. Imagine if nearly all of those people were arrested. It just isn't worth it.

I am assuming anybody reading this (PRO included) can remember a time where a teacher or parent lectured them for insulting or teasing a sibling or fellow student. Imagine if you were charged with a criminal offense every time that happened.

Also, I would like to add this: [3]: Over 3.2 million kids are bullied every year in the United States. With 3.2 million victims, there must be 3.2 million bullies, right? Again think about all the money wasted and the overburdened police officers.

Infringement on the Economy

I would like to open this argument by saying that the proposal of criminalizing bullies that PRO has suggested would make the economy go into a complete nosedive for reasons stated above in my first contention. Do you want your parents' money wasted on something that has better solutions? [4]: The United States (I'm sorry if you aren't from the US, however I will use this as the country we are talking about) already has the highest incarceration rate in the entire world, with an astonishing 500 out of every 100000 residents being inmates. Making bullying a crime would more than likely double or even triple these rates. To top it all off, bullying isn't anywhere near as bad as any crime.

[5]: My last sub argument for this contention is that as a country, we already spend four times more money and effort on inmates than students. Isn't that terrible? Think of how the cost would skyrocket for all the inmates that are brought in by bullying. We spend billions of dollars on the inmates already! Bullying being a felony would make it even worse.

It's a Silly Proposal

If PRO, or any readers aren't convinced yet, put this following hypothetical situation into consideration:

Sandra, a nine year old, has to start wearing glasses because of poor vision. The first time she wears the glasses to school, a fellow student, John, also nine years old, starts to tease her. He barrages her with hurtful names and makes fun of her. He calls her 'four-eyes' and such names. John is secretly doing this because he likes Sandra, and doesn't know how to express his feelings correctly. She asks him to stop, but to no avail.

Sandra then tells their teacher, Mrs. Smith about the situation. By law, Mrs. Smith has to report John to the principal for bullying. Thereafter the principal by law has to tell law enforcers, who then, again by law, are forced to send John to juvenile hall for his 'crime'. If that fails then John has a criminal offense on his permanent record. John is also expelled from his school. This may harm his chances of getting into colleges he likes etc.

Basically, PRO is in support that one should essentially be arrested and convicted of a felony if they insult somebody. Doesn't something sound wrong there? It's simply a silly proposal!

I think we can all agree that that would be silly and unjustified. If your proposal were to be put into law (bullying being a criminal act), it would be legally justified by law.

Millions of similar cases would happen over the years. All unjustified. All silly. This proposal not going into effect would prevent this. Arguably, the vast majority of bullying is similar to this, so this proposal suggested by PRO would do more harm than good. The proposal would result in thousands of lives ruined by having a criminal offense on their record, when really, what they're doing isn't a crime. Its microscopic compared to actual crimes.

There are Better Solutions

Higher authority figures, such as teachers, other kids, parents, etc., need to discourage bullying, rather than having the mindset that it is normal for kids to do it. I also think most schools and other places where kids meet need better supervision than what is currently happening. Every time they witness a bully and a victim, the victim should be reassured they are safe and loved etc., while the bully needs to be brought into counseling or something else. Usually the child is bullying for attention, and if adults confront this, both the bully and the victim should benefit.

Thank you for reading, Mya5101 (and to anyone else that read), as promised in the next round I will rebut all of your claims, and will possibly add some more arguments.

Sources for Round Two:

[1]: http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

[2]: http://www.bullyingstatistics.org...

[3]: http://www.dosomething.org...

[4]: http://www.prb.org...

[5]: http://www.money.cnn.com...

Mya5101

Pro

Mya5101 forfeited this round.
Complicated_Mind

Con

My opponent has unfortunately decided to forfeit again. This is going to be the last round of this debate where I'll write anything because this round was made for rebuttals. I will not add any more arguments as more wasted effort is unnecessary.

Rebuttals

Throughout the entire debate PRO has only made one claim, which I will now rebut.

Bullies should be criminalised and have jail time because, the actions of a bully can lead a victim into a negitive emotional state.”

-PRO

Yes, it can make someone be in a negative emotional state. However, many things can do this, such as living in a place that has little sunlight and too much rain, or someone not getting into their dream college. Criminalization is not the answer.

Think about my hypothetical situation in round two. John made Sandra in a negative emotional state, however, as I explained in round two, John doesn't deserve to be arrested. John could have simply apologized, and with the help of the teacher and maybe his parents, stop. This would make Sandra feel better and they could both move on with their lives, no criminalization involved.

As stated at the very end of round two, adults need to confront a child's aggression and encourage the bully victim that they are loved. No jail time for the bully (or anyone else) is necessary simply for calling someone 'stupid.'

Althoguht a vitcim can already be depressed or emotional unstable before bullying began the continus abuse can lead a victim, wether emotion unstable to begin with or not, to death”

-PRO

99% of bullying are petty such as the John and Sandra example.

The few cases where it becomes this serious is a completely different matter from most bullying. My suggestion of higher authority confronting bullying more often should prevent some/most of these cases. The rest is less than one percent of bullying and they need more drastic solutions, however even then, jail time is likely not needed.

This debate is now over. Thanks to any who have read.

Mya5101

Pro

Mya5101 forfeited this round.
Complicated_Mind

Con

How unfortunate.
Posted by Timeworn 3 years ago
Timeworn
Imagine going to jail for insulting someone, how ridiculous is that? Lol
Vote Placed by bsh1 3 years ago
bsh1
Mya5101Complicated_MindTied
Vote Placed by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
Mya5101Complicated_MindTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con wins due to forfeit