LulzCAtz
Aleoz

Should Canada become part of the USA? (Con is against unification)

Aleoz has forfeited round #2.

LulzCAtz

Pro

I think the USA and Canada should become one country, other than bagged milk, there is no difference between us, except when it comes to a slightly different political system, which most argue in Canada is outdated and/or against common sense in a lot of ways, or think that Canada could easily become a dictatorship. (Video from an actual Canadian. https://www.youtube.com...) Not to mention, that all of the other things most Canadians argue against like the fact that they have free healthcare, comparatively strict gun laws, and, funnily enough I've heard this a lot, "A different accent so we're completely different people!" But, all of those things you could still have, or reinstate if you became part of the USA, as your statehood would allow you to have those things under the 13th amendment. There are probably other things that my opponent will try to debunk, but these are all the things that most Canadians argue, and so that'll be my closing. Thank you for joining this debate.
Aleoz

Con

I would like for Pro to address these main concerns in the next round.

How will the US Federal Government accurately present the will of the American people when a new set of people have been added?

How will power be distributed if Canada is brought to the fold? Will we have 200 senators thanks to the amount of land we have adopted?

How will you answer the complaints of rural Americans that feel unrepresented by Washington DC?
LulzCAtz

Pro

No unification is easy when it comes to creating/annexing a new territory, but when the US did it we did it just fine, there are several things we'd need to address, like should the new provinces be states, what power will they have if so, and extras like that when it comes to government. There is no easy answer to this, but of course it wouldn't be overnight and we'd have plenty of time to figure it out. I can't really answer these questions because I'm not a person of government. Though finding an arrangement that works for everyone and becoming the undisputed greatest power in all areas would easily be found within a matter of years, but until we found something like that Canada would obviously still be the country we know it as today. Besides, Most Canadians in the West want to be part of the US, especially Saskatchewan. They feel that all of the wealth and power is controlled by the West, but a strong point of American politics is making sure that everyone governs themselves as states until it comes to federal law or elections, which they have a say in to.
Posted by toastyspaghetti 7 months ago
toastyspaghetti
Said the not Canadian
Posted by missmedic 7 months ago
missmedic
What about the 35 million people that don't want to be an American?