lemonlimexxx27
maxwell.lane

Should Canadian senators be elected?

lemonlimexxx27

Con

If Canadian senators are elected our government system will resemble that of the American political system. It will lack progress, and no bills will get passed. I do not believe that the senators should be appointed by the prime minister, I believe they should be appointed by an independent body who is accountable to the Canadian people and not the prime minister.
maxwell.lane

Pro

You propose that Canadian senators should no be appointed, and while I agree, your proposition of an independent body is equally flawed. The point of republics is that local voices may be represented. The Idea of an independent body almost mirrors the practice of the appointments of the prime minister, who is supposed to adequately represent the Canadian people. The American Union allows voices in both the house and senate to express local opinions and state concerns. The problem that disallows progress in the American system is the vastly differing opinions on every aspect of social policies, economy, and politics.
lemonlimexxx27

Con

It does mirror the practice of appointments by the Prime Minister at all! If senators are appointed by an independent body, they do not feel a need to act on the Prime Minister's behalf, and can therefore act based off their conscious. I propose that they be appointed by an independent body, and are accountable to them and the off course the Canadian people. I propose term limits, and they be up for review after a fixed amount of time, and therefore have to prove themselves as valuable, unlike now where they are in for life and do not have to do anything. I believe that the Senate is a valuable and necessary chamber of second thought. I believe they should not have the power to veto any bill, however they should have the opportunity to bring about more amendments. When a government has a majority they can practically pass any bill nowadays, and since MP's rarely get to vote their conscious and fear being kicked out of the caucus, terrible bills that act on the behalf of our gouvernment instead of the Canadian people can get passed. WE NEED SENATE REFORM, to protect Canadians. It serves as a crutial role in our dsyfunctional political system.
maxwell.lane

Pro

maxwell.lane forfeited this round.
lemonlimexxx27

Con

lemonlimexxx27 forfeited this round.
maxwell.lane

Pro

maxwell.lane forfeited this round.
Posted by Geogeer 2 years ago
Geogeer
If I get time in the next day or two I will accept this...
Posted by RoyalFlush100 2 years ago
RoyalFlush100
If you'd be willing to change the debate to "Should the Canadian Senate be abolished", I'd be willing to debate Pro for that.