WillRiley
Eli01

Should Cars be Banned?

WillRiley

WillRiley

Con

First round is Acceptance.
Eli01

Pro

WillRiley

Con

One in every 10 jobs in the United States is with the Automotive Industry. If you ban cars, almost all of these people will be out of work, something we don't need, especially when we have about 6% unemployment. If you ban automobiles, you will automatically put around 10% of the United States out of work. Also, the Automotive Industry pays $135 billion dollars in taxes. If you ban automobiles, all of this revenue will go away. Can you really justify putting all of those people out of work, and onto the federal doles? Also, they wont have as much money to pay these people unemployment because of the taxes no longer coming in. According to Governor Jennifer Granholm "this industry supports one in 10 jobs in the country," adding, "If this industry is allowed to fail, there will be a ripple effect throughout the nation."

You would strike a MAJOR blow to the United State's economy.

Also, maybe in a very small community or a large city you could ban cars, since you have most things within walking distance. However, in a small town, like my own, without cars no one would be able to get anywhere in time. It would be a 45 minute walk to the grocery store, and then a 45 minute walk back, while what? Holding onto the food?
And what about people who live out in the country, say, 60 miles from any town or store. How will they get there? There will be no public transportation to get them obviously, since they live all alone. And what about logistics? How will goods be carried across land? Caravans of camels?
This is simply not a logical thing to do. The cons drastically outweigh the pros of banning automobiles.
Eli01

Pro

Eli01 forfeited this round.
Eli01

Pro

Thanks man. I have been really busy. Lets finish this today. I will be away next week.

Argument:
According to one report, "64.5 percent of U.S. adults, age 20 years and older, are overweight and 30.5 percent are obese." If the cars are banned the lives of many will be saved. If cars are banned, to get around people will have to walk, or ride a bike. Some people might catch the bus, but not everyone will want to pay for the bus, which will reduce the amount of obese people in america. You stated in your previous argument, that many factories manufacture cars and if cars are banned, then many people will lose jobs. But would you rather have more deaths or more unemployed. In my city alone (Jacksonville) there are over 300,000 jobs available to people. There is no telling of all the jobs in the US. So the people who do lose their jobsin the car factory, could find another job, which would keep our economy going.
WillRiley

Con

You really think that forcing people to exercise by taking away their means of efficient transportation is the way to fight obesity? Also, there is a reason that Detroit got a huge bailout from the government. If these cars are banned, many people will loose their jobs, and also, the United States economy will crash. If cars are banned in the United States, the entire country will feel the effects. They United States is a major importer of automobiles from places such as Germany or Japan. These other countries will also have many people laid off at their factories. Also, its not like everyone can just get whatever job. I am sure that many of the jobs that you listed require skills. Skills that are not likely to be possessed by auto factory workers. Not only that, but all of the car dealerships in the country will go out of business (Essentially being closed down by the government). Gas stations will be abandoned. The Oilfields will loose huge amounts of money. Its not like "They can just get other jobs". You don't understand. There will be more people than there are jobs. Millions will be out of work.

Also, you failed to respond to my point about how we are going to transport ourselves when pubic transportation is unavailable and its to far to walk or bike. Again, my town doesn't have buses. What about people that live out on ranches in the middle of nowhere? Would you have them ride their bike 40 miles to town?
Again, this is simply not a logical thing to do. The cons drastically outweigh the pros of banning automobiles.
Eli01

Pro

I do seem to have missed that point. And I am sorry for that.

All of these other programs for eight loss, (Biggest Loser, Diets, etc.) dont seem to be working. There still many people who are obese around the globe. However people who excerise always see good results.

For your town. If they can afford cars, they most certainly can afford a bus.

That was a bad argument and I will probably lose this debate.

Anyways good debate! :)
Posted by WillRiley 2 years ago
WillRiley
Right? Make sure you vote.
Posted by kwilson60 2 years ago
kwilson60
Cars should not be banned. For those living in a city it is easier to use public transportation. I live in a rural area and it would be impossible to not have a car, especially in the winter.
Posted by Mister_Man 2 years ago
Mister_Man
Good debate between you two, surprisingly decent arguments from both sides. I'll vote on it when I get a chance tomorrow!
Posted by WillRiley 2 years ago
WillRiley
Thanks, I enjoyed it.
Posted by Eli01 2 years ago
Eli01
Good debate man.
Posted by WillRiley 2 years ago
WillRiley
Ok that's fine, but go ahead and post the next round.
Posted by Eli01 2 years ago
Eli01
You posted late and I was off of my computer. Not my fault. If you would have posted as soon as I accepted we could have finished yesterday.
Posted by WillRiley 2 years ago
WillRiley
Well you will have to hurry and post your round if you want to be done today.
Posted by Eli01 2 years ago
Eli01
But please stay consistent with it. I would like to finish this today.
Posted by Eli01 2 years ago
Eli01
Vote Placed by Tweka 2 years ago
Tweka
WillRileyEli01Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by Toviyah 2 years ago
Toviyah
WillRileyEli01Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff so conduct to Con. Pro didn't respond to all Con's arguments, which seemed to hit the mark better and were more focused and direct, backed up by examples. So, arguments to Con.
Vote Placed by SebUK 2 years ago
SebUK
WillRileyEli01Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Foirfeiture , and Con made more convincing and detailed arguments.
Vote Placed by Kylar 2 years ago
Kylar
WillRileyEli01Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro defended themselves well, given that he was busy I will split the points. Con also made very valid points
Vote Placed by travis18352 2 years ago
travis18352
WillRileyEli01Tied
Reasons for voting decision: pro pretty much admitted they would lose
Vote Placed by z1 2 years ago
z1
WillRileyEli01Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I don't think cars should be banned.