Should Cats have the right to vote?

Stensson has forfeited round #3.

This is a non-serious debate about granting cats the right to vote.

First round is simply acceptance.

The other 4 rounds will involve arguing whenever a cat should or should not have the right to vote in the United States.

If you accept this debate you will be on the con side.

I look forward to a fun and humor filled week.

Sincerely Oak

What is this debate?

I accept

Lets begin then.

I would like to start off with the following information. My cat was born in the United States of America. She has lived in the United States her entire life and has still managed to remain law abiding despite having no education whatsoever. Her and the majority of other cats who are residents of the United States are also law abiding. Despite the fact that cats have a drastically lower crime rate then humans, our laws deny them the right to vote in laws that could effect their well being and livelihood. We can argue that cats are illiterate and do not care about politics however, the voting rights act(1965) established that the right to vote can not be denied due to being illiterate or uneducated. Lacking an interest in voting is also not a valid defense to denying cats the right to vote. Plenty of humans don't vote in the United States however, they still retain their right to vote if they ever choose to. Unlike humans though, if a cat ever gained an interest in voting, that cat would be unable to do so, as our laws only allow human beings in the United States to vote. Denying any resident of the United states the right to vote due to their species is a gross civil rights violation that can not be allowed to continue. We have already established that African Americans, women, and minority groups have every right to vote in our political process. It's time to extend these same rights to our cats.

Your turn.:)

Just a quick disclaimer - I am not an American citizen so I don't have thorough understanding of your laws or you constitution. I'm just basing my argument mostly on what I read from the Internet, feel free to correct me when I state something false.

My first and only argument is that currently only citizens of the United States have the right to vote. Cats are not citizens and they don't meet the requirements to become citizens - being born to an American citizen is impossible as their parents aren't citizens either, also they cannot carry out the procedures to apply for naturalization:

They can't take the English test due to their inability to speak.
They don't have opposable thumbs to enable them to take the civics test.

Furthermore, even in the event that cats were citizens, they lack the required brain function to deal with the topical issues of the country. Their right to vote would be unnecessary and redundant.

Thank you for informing me that you are not from the United States. I will gladly help you and answer any questions you may have.

I shall begin by correcting your statement that cats who were born in the United States do not have the requirements needed to become a citizen. This is inaccurate. In order to become a U.S citizen automatically by birth, the only requirement is that your birth happened in the U.S. Your parents would not need to be U.S citizens themselves. As long as you were born on U.S soil, that would be enough to ensure automatic citizenship. That's why some illegal immigrants flee to the United States. The person who entered the United States illegally would have to apply for naturalization. However, If the person who entered the U.S illegally gave birth to a child, that child would automatically be considered a citizen and would not require going through the naturalization process. The mother's legal status does not change this fact. Therefore, it wouldn't matter that a cat born in the United States could not successfully go through the naturalization procedures. They wouldn't need to as being born on U.S soil would fill the requirements needed to become a U.S citizen.
plus, having the brain function needed to deal with the topical issues of our country is not and has never been a requirement to vote in the United States. In fact, you can vote here even if you know absolutely nothing about the issue or candidate you are voting on. Believe it or not, a person can vote for a candidate just because that candidate's name starts with the letter A. When you vote here you can base your decision on any criteria you want. It doesn't matter if the criteria you use is irrational. Finally, the argument that granting cats the right to vote is unnecessary and redundant was one of several arguments used by people in the past to justify denying minority groups like African Americans and women the right to vote. Obviously this argument did not hold water as minority groups successfully gained the right to vote.

P.S. Again, feel free to ask any questions you want. I will be glad to help in any way possible.