Sydney529
Shrek_sDrecKid

Should Cell phones be allowed in school

Shrek_sDrecKid
Started: 1/12/2015 Category: Technology

Sydney529

Pro

Cell phones have been a huge debate for a lot of school it is pretty much an even vote. I think they should be allowed
Shrek_sDrecKid

Con

I accept your challenge and will debate on whether or not cell phones should be allowed in school. As opponent is inexperienced and has literally joined this site approximately 10 minutes after I accepted the debate challenge, I will somewhat hold back my debating "power" (Dragon Ball Z pun intended) to give him/her a more fair challenge. With that out of the way, let us first clarify what should be debated before even arguing. As I have agreed to not make rebuttals to your arguments in the first round, opponent must accept and debate in the second round as well - all other rounds are for rebuttals. Now on with the topic.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When opponent states the question: Should Cell phones be allowed in school, they must mean that all mobile phones be involved in this debate since the term "cell-phone" has become a cliche to generally refer to all types of mobile phones. Whether it be flip phones, slide phones, text messaging phones, smart-phones, and even super-phones (yes, we are currently in the "super-phone age"; check in with your phone provider for details), that is what opponent and most people refer them as even though each "generation" of mobile phones have their own names. Rather, the term "mobile phones" should be used instead, but it's a cultural thing, so that can be debated another time.

Cell phones can be defined as the following terms and definitions stated below:

Cell Phone
[noun] NORTH AMERICAN
short for cellular phone.

Celular Phone
(cel"lu"lar phone)
[noun] NORTH AMERICAN
a telephone with access to a cellular radio system so it can be used over a wide area, without a physical connection to a network.

Many people confuse cell phone with all mobile phones as I stated below; in fact, that is not true. Because if that were true, then only the original giant walkie-talkie cell phones is only considered cell phones as those were the first and true mobile phones to be called cell or cellular phones. Then, all other cell phones that were created after the first one in the 1990's should not be considered cell phones by the very definition of those phones. Going even further with such logic, flip, slide, text messaging, smart, and super-phones are not cell phones and therefore are allowed within the educational system to be used by students. With this one error alone, I could have used this as my only argument and win this debate no matter what. However, since it is a cultural thing and people have made cell phone into a cliche word and everybody understands it, I will not go any further and ask opponent to use the term cellular phone or mobile phone in the future of this debate. With that out of the way, let us focus on your other arguments within your thesis.

The other argument that I will clarify is the definition of "allow". What do you mean by allow? Allowed to exist? Allowed to be used? Allowed to be seen? Allowed to be heard? Allowed to be touched? Please be more specific in your later rounds and future debates. And when you state "allowed in school", you are also being too vague. Who within the educational system is allowed to have it? Which schools - elementary, middle, high, post-secondary - is allowed to have or not have them? Where and when can they be allowed or be banned? I and the audience understand where you are going at, but be more specific to prevent voters from choosing your opponents in future debates for having bad conduct. When making a topic and thesis, one must assume all challengers and viewers know absolutely nothing about the topic. Because there will be debates in the future where people truly do not know of your topic.
These are the only clarifications that I have to state for now. As agreed before, opponent cannot refute what I have said in the first round as I have not debated nor refuted your points; I have simply clarified them to make it easier to understand for myself and the audience. Beginning in the second round, opponent and I will begin creating our own arguments - all other rounds are for rebuttals and new arguments, agreed? Also, as opponent is a newcomer, I will act sort of like a mentor and make this debate into a practice debate for you. Any mistakes and flaws due to debating inexperience will (for the most part) be disregarded unless stated otherwise. Other flaws due to lack of skill, knowledge, and carelessness will be penalized by myself and the voters. Do not expect debates to be this easy as from this debate on, nobody will help you. If I have realized I have underestimated you, I will release some of my true potential (DBZ pun intended again).
Sydney529

Pro

Sydney529 forfeited this round.
Shrek_sDrecKid

Con

I forfeit this round because opponent failed to debate.
Sydney529

Pro

Sydney529 forfeited this round.
Shrek_sDrecKid

Con

Hahahaha!!! Epic fail - this will be an instant win for me!
Sydney529

Pro

Sydney529 forfeited this round.
Shrek_sDrecKid

Con

I really don't care if you keep forfeiting and I win automatically for that because I need these easy wins to increase my debating rank since it's so low because alot of my "tied" debates were not voted at all!
Sydney529

Pro

Sydney529 forfeited this round.
Shrek_sDrecKid

Con

Shrek_sDrecKid forfeited this round.
Posted by Valkrin 1 year ago
Valkrin
lol
Posted by Shrek_sDrecKid 1 year ago
Shrek_sDrecKid
I have no self-esteem - I have already destroyed my pride long ago...
Posted by Valkrin 1 year ago
Valkrin
So you try to boost your self esteem by challenging noobs who have little to no debating experience? Lol
You truly are butthurt about the ties, aren't you?
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 1 year ago
Blade-of-Truth
Sydney529Shrek_sDrecKidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Con. Pro forfeited the entire debate. While Con also forfeited the final round, the higher amount of Pro's weighs this in Con's favor. Additionally, I want to warn Con against forfeiting just because your opponent did. Simply type in: "Extend all arguments" since they'd be standing unchallenged. That way, you won't run the risk of being penalized for forfeiting a round. S&G - Tie. Both had adequate spelling and grammar. Arguments - Con. Pro failed to present any arguments in support of his position. Since Con was the only one to present arguments, he wins these points. Sources - Tie. Neither utilized sources in this debate.