redheadpanda
brianjustin1025

Should Cell phones should be banned from school?

redheadpanda

Con

schools all around are starting to ban the use of cell phones. I understand that during class this is a no no. I think that what schools should do is have kids leave their phones on top of the desk all period, students should be able to use their cell phones during lunch or in the hall ways. Cell phones are important in case of an emergency, so I want to argue that the ban of cell phones is nonsense. everyone uses their phone period.
brianjustin1025

Pro

I accept your challenge. I believe that cell phones should be banned from schools.

First of all, cell phones have many games on them. Many kids can play games and damage their brains when they play games. Many kids will be in the bathroom or at lunch will play games. Playing games are bad for your education, and school is for education, meaning that they have to ban cell phones.

Second of all, the children can not listen or would not listen what the teacher is talking about, the children and students will just look at their phones, not doing the directions the teacher is telling them to.

Now I will rebut con's points

My opponent says that they should use them at lunch or in the hallways. But I already mentioned that they play games, and then everyone would go out to the hallway because they want to see their phone.

Also my opponent states that they can be used in emergencies. First, the school has a phone. Also, in school, there are no emergencies unless it is a fire. That, there are fire alarms, so there are no such emergencies that will need a phone.

For all these reasons, vote for me.
redheadpanda

Con

Games , Games, Games... A lot of people like to the blame the music or the games for how certain kids act.. But truth of the matter is I grew up with playing video games and listening to a wide spread of music, and I am currently enrolled in college working on getting my MSW... so to argue that games is why phones should be banned...
Of course kids are going to want to play games. OF course during lunch this is what they will do but in schools, I am talking in regards to high schools and Middle schools. These age groups do not really crave for games where they will want to leave into the hallway to play a video game during a class.
My opponent stated that schools have phones. But do you know the hassle to use a school phone, not only for the "dial 9 first" part but to have to ask to use the phone and then to have everyone hear your business on why you might be calling mom to pick you up.... What if for instance a young girl is in the bathroom and needed to call her mom ASAP due to girl things.(personal experience) Personally I would not want to walk to the classroom to "ask to use the phone" in embarrassment, when I can sit in the bathroom and wait for my mom to arrive.
In regards to the emergencies, schools do not only have fire drills. From past experience, my school has had a "bomb threat" (not a drill) and I remember evacuating my school and standing outside for nearly 45mins before calling my dad to come pick me up when I realized this was not fake. I did not want to sit at my school where there could possible be a bomb and no one is telling us anything, and I remember my parents getting upset because the schools never called to inform parents /guardians what was going on with their children. SO if I had no cell phone, was I suppose to go BACK into the school and call my father, OR would sitting by a school that could have possibly blew up, just waiting for someone to tell us anything sound better?
Yes kids learn better if they do not have cell phones on during classes, but during lunch or down time should be okay. We do not send kids to "jail" for a day to learn. I believe in order to learn, you have to love what you are doing, if kids hate their school because during lunch the security guard sent them to the principle for wanting to listen to music then of course no one wants to learn or make an effort to be at school. THEY are kids, not 30 year olds working in a firm. WE have to accept the fact that technology is becoming big in our world today and their is not really much we can do to stop it.
brianjustin1025

Pro

brianjustin1025 forfeited this round.
redheadpanda

Con

redheadpanda forfeited this round.
brianjustin1025

Pro

brianjustin1025 forfeited this round.
Posted by FlammableX 1 year ago
FlammableX
Can you link me to schools which are banning cell phones from being on campus?