constable43
Speakerfrthedead

Should Cellphones Be Allowed In Class

Speakerfrthedead
Started: 2/21/2014 Category: Technology

constable43

Con

I think cellphones shouldn"t be allowed in class. Here are my arguments.

Having the Internet on the phone provides for an opportunity to cheat. Students can refer to the Internet for answers on a test, or they could text an accomplice for the answers. They could also photograph information from a textbook and use that to cheat in the test. Neither of these acts leads to any sort of education for the students, but on the other hand, discourages them from working hard.

I also think cell phones shouldn't be allowed in class because they are distracting in work. A student can't concentrate on their work with a cell phone in their face. Also it is influencing their language skills. Sometimes they use shortened sentences like, example, "r u busy 2day?" instead of "Are you busy today?". It can be unnerving for other students because of the notification tones, too. Lastly they can use it to text in class, making them not concentrated on their schoolwork.

I eagerly await your argument
Speakerfrthedead

Pro

Everything you say is true but only if the students are using their phones in class. They should still be allowed to keep their phones with them in class in case of an emergency and their parents need to call them. And cell phones can be used to do a variety of tasks in class set up by a teacher such as taking photographs of science experiments.

It can also help relax students to do classwork if they are allowed to listen to music from their phones. My school allows us to listen to music on some occasions when we work and ususally nobody is distracted too often.

And even if there is a test there could still be a teacher that supervises the students so that they will not cheat. Receiving phone calls during class is rare for students when most of their friends are in school and so phone calls are usually from parents and about something important.

Therefore cellphones should be allowed in class.
constable43

Con

constable43 forfeited this round.
Posted by vrush 3 years ago
vrush
nowadays schools are having telephones in emergency cases children can contact to there parents if necessary how much ever we think that der will be no misbehavior its not possible in 100 students there will be few bad one no doubt in that some will click photos an upload it on social sites their will be complains from parents and school authority will be in trouble
Posted by honasababa 3 years ago
honasababa
I think that phones should be allowed in class. Not because I am a student, but sometimes, I just need my phone is class. Like right now, we don't have student computers in my school except in the first floor library, and you can only go there if your class is scheduled to be there. So we cant show anything though internet in class. We use phones in class to use it on education. Lat year in my school, we used phones to take polls about what we are learning. And throughout my whole school year, we used our phones for physics class. Maybe listening to music shouldn't be allowed in class, but why cant we use our phones to listen to music in lunch? Its our free time, and we should be able to enjoy it.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 3 years ago
Zarroette
constable43SpeakerfrthedeadTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro provided a condition that Con never addressed: 'so long as they're not using it' (i.e. in case of emergency). This was a strong point, that since going uncontested, wins Pro the debate. Conduct to Pro too for Con's forfeit.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
constable43SpeakerfrthedeadTied