Should Cellphones be Banned In School?

Yes, I believe cell phones should be banned in schools.
The reason that I believe that cell phones should be banned in schools is because they only cause distractions. First of all, when cell phones are brought into an educational setting, the temptation to get out the cellphone is strong, and most of the students do give in to the temptation. Second, when those cell phones are pulled out, they lose all the attention that they were giving to the instructor or there work; they have a new priority which is to be on the mobile device. The result of these actions is the poor grades that all these students will have in result of the small distraction in their pockets.

I will be against the motion, "Cell Phones Should Be Banned In Schools", highlighting that it is rather harsh to ban cell phones in schools.

It is not logical to ban cell phones to "increase grades" or any other argument for supporting such a notion is futile because it just isnt true.

Alright, thank you for accepting.

You say that it is harsh to ban cell phones in school, and just to be clear here and make sure we are on the same page, "harsh" is anything that is exceeding the appropriate limit of hardness in this case, correct?

You may be correct when you say that it may not be logical to ban cell phones to increase grades. Consider this; there is a young man in a classroom, he has all his attention on his instructor and then he feels the very faint vibration of his mobile device in his pocket. The distraction already happened. He pulls the cell phone out under his desk (enough so the instructor doesn't see) and checks the notification. It happens to be a group chat that he's in and kept help but reply to his friends. The time that he takes replying to his friends is time that he loses in academically. Sadly, this is a situation that happens on the daily more than once for a lot of students. The time that they waste on their cell phones during class accumulates and can have bad consequences when it comes to understanding their school work.
So if we could stop from this from happening if it means that it'll help the students just a little bit, why wouldn't we do it? It wouldn't be a punishment, it would be to help them in their educational careers.

Viewing the mobile phone as a "distraction" in the classrooms is woefully short of making the classroom interactions more fun and creative.

It is a simple fact that the cell phone, these days, is less of a communication device and is turning more into a gateway to the rest of the world. It is a ubiquitous networking platform. The apps have become part of our daily routines.

I cannot understand how these essential services have to be cut off from the students / teachers just because they are at school.

To address the issue of distraction, it is highly recommended that there should be regulations to using the cell phones. Banning them altogether is definitely not the answer.

In today's world, there is an information revolution where a number of fields like science, history, geography, mathematics, et al, require constant use of the internet and other online resources. It is imperative for the teachers to access technology to improve the quality of debates in the class.

It is interesting to note the following ways teachers are trying to use cell phones.

• Using them as what they call "clickers". These "clickers" are devices used to give answers for multiple choice questions, and teachers are encouraging students to use mobile phones for mini tests and class quizzes.
  • Training students for independent study. According to some teachers, "the whole atmosphere of the class and school has itself changed" as students are using these phones in geography classes for maps and geographical information, students are able to have homework calendars for recording homework which they "never forget with their phone calendars".

Just to make sure we are the same page here, let's clarify the term "distraction". In this case, a distraction is whatever that wavers and turns the students attention from the class material or activity during class hours in an educational environment such as school.
I agree with you that these devices are turning into communication tools, we have seen that around us for the last about ten years. You say that instructors are encouraging their students to use their phones and gave the example of clickers; clickers are the responsibility of the teachers, who know when are the appropriate times to take these electronic devices out is, unlike most students. If it is for educational purposes, instructors are the ones to be responsible for using those electronic tools in class.
As for the instructors using encouraging phone use, I'm sure the instructor doesn't mean to use it during class in a lecture of during activity work time. Most instructors suggest to use them as study methods to do on your own time. Schools never needed the help of cell phone use in the past, so why would we need it now?
Also, I believe that your idea of having restrictions on cellphones rather than banning them would be a great compromise for this debate. The only thing is that I believe there are already restrictions put on by teachers for cell phones, so maybe we would have to say to put "harsher" restrictions?

A great man once said: ”We fear what we don’t understand.” I think today’s world is not realizing and understanding the potential of the cell phone in education, thus fearing it’s ill use, we ban it. An interesting thought about banning fleets through my mind now. No ban has ever worked and never will. So how could banning cell phones in schools be a possible solution?

Recently I attended a lecture and recorded a few important points on my cell phone. I think one cannot fathom an easier method of recording or summarizing a lecture.

My line of argument is this. At this point of time humans are yet to fully harness the potential of cell phones. We have only learnt that that it can help us in accessing the Internet, possibly a few apps, message our dear ones and of course call them up.

I think we are underestimating the power of the cell phone and its role in education. The way mobile phone technology is expanding, cell phones would be packed with more computing abilities and ability to perform tasks that we have not yet imagined.

In such a looming scenario, it is rather immature to decide if this ubiquitous gadget is to be outright banned from schools. It is quite possible that our next homework would be posted on cell phones.

My idea of restrictions on the cell phone is just to address the point about distractions. For the clarification of the term “distraction”, why should we even consider the cell phone, a device with endless educational possibilities, be considered a device which “turns the students attention from the class material or activity during class hours in an educational environment such as school?” With so many benefits in education, and its amazing advantages, the cell phone nowadays is considered a part of the “class material.” It is also factually incorrect that “schools never needed the help of cell phone use in the past.” The clickers, geography classes and homework calendars were and are being used by teachers and students in many educational institutions.

We see only the misuse of cell phones in lectures and activities but fail to see the imperative advantages of it. It is necessary for the world to see the advantages of the cell phone, and we should bring about a change of mindset about the role of technology in schools and education.

I agree with you when you say that we underestimate the power of the cell phone in educational ways. To begin with, the cell phone is already very powerful in any kind of setting. Adding cell phone use for educational purposes would really help the students with learning the material taught in class. I still believe that we must set harsher regulations for the use of cell phones in schools.

The reason I say harsher is because teachers have already set their own rules in their classrooms and students still fail to follow them. The whole school should set the rules on use of cell phones other than educational purposes, and perhaps even have consequences to breaking these rules, (such as detention, loss of points, etc).

You are correct when you say that banning cell phones will not do anything and is impossible, so it is rational to believe that the only option left is to enforce stricter rules with consequences in regards to using cell phones in school outside of school purposes in school. That is the compromise of the debate.

I agree that cell phones with stricter rules would become an imperative in schools. It would be interesting to see what would come up next on the cell phones.

monim14 forfeited this round.

nikhilworld123 forfeited this round.
Posted by deepakkr 6 months ago
Cell Phones should not allowed at-least under school level class students because it will distract the students mind in class as well as outside. Even they also affects and make pressure on lower class families who do not effort.

I think if we take survey we will analyse : 20% students busy on text messaging, 5-8 % busy on chit-chat and other activities, and also affects other 2-5% students who is paying attention in studies.
Posted by maisydae7 6 months ago
I have found that the more we try to restrict, the more rebellious people tend to be. Even though I am in favor of having guidelines and rules, sometimes we need to pick our battles. I would look at the cell phone issue like this:

1. Is it a winning battle? Is it worth the energy?
2. Instead of fighting it, how can we work with it? What apps could be used in class,etc.

We live in a digital world. I work in Higher education and we are constantly encouraging students to check their email. If they are like me, I have my email on my phone.
Vote Placed by tejretics 6 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: The topic says "cellphones should be banned in school," when phrased as a standard resolution. The resolution is normative, so the burdens are equal. Pro's burden is to affirm all parts of the resolution, while Con's burden is to negate any part. Con presents an argument that restrictions on cellphones should be stricter, but says a complete prohibition isn't necessary. Pro concedes to this counterplan, thus forfeits the plan. The judging paradigm is measuring the counterplan with the plan, and when the former is conceded, I vote for the CP. Therefore, Con wins.