ers2001
BrendanD19

Should Cheerleading be considered a sport?

BrendanD19
Started: 2/22/2016 Category: Sports

ers2001

Pro

I think it should be considered a sport because it involves just as difficult as other sports. I would like to see football players so splits and get thrown into the air and hope they get caught by fellow teammates.
BrendanD19

Con

While I do not deny the difficulty of cheerleading and I acknowledge the hard work that cheerleaders put into the activity, however Cheerleading should not be considered a sport as it does not meet the criteria for a sport. This is because cheerleading is not an expressly competitive activity, and while it can be competitive, competitions are not based on stricly objective/quantitative scores.
ers2001

Pro

ers2001 forfeited this round.
BrendanD19

Con

Seeing as the pro has forfeited I will simply elaborate on my argument expressed previously.
Cheerleading should not be considered a sport as in order to be a sport it must meet certain criteria
  1. It must be a physical activity or involve physical ability rather than intellectual abilities (ie Chess, Trivia and Debate are excluded)
  2. It must be expressly competitive, not meant as a spectacle
  3. Scores in competition must be strictly objective and quantitative, in other words it should be based on goals made, runs scored, time, placement in the race or on the target etc.
Cheerleading fails two of the three categories. Cheerleading is by and large meant as a spectacle. Cheerleaders lead crowd in chants and cheers, perform routines and dances to rally up the crowd, entertain spectators and cheer on the team on the field. This is the main purpose of cheerleading, hints the name. Given this, cheerleading is not meant expressly for competition and is therefore not a sport. This is only further evidenced by the fact that not all cheerleading squads take part in any competitions.
These competitions that some squads take part is are based on subjective scores from judges, who evaluate the performance of the various squads in the competition. It is not based on objective scores and therefore fails the third criteria.
Additionally a court ruling in 2009 ruled that cheerleading is not a sport, and thus for legal purposes cheerleading is not a sport.

http://www.csmonitor.com...
ers2001

Pro

ers2001 forfeited this round.
BrendanD19

Con

Seeing as the pro has again conceeded, I will extend my argument and await a response.
ers2001

Pro

ers2001 forfeited this round.
BrendanD19

Con

Seeing as it is clear the Pro has no intention of responding, I shall forfeit the final round unless the pro responds. I extend all my arguments and encourage you to vote Con.
ers2001

Pro

ers2001 forfeited this round.
BrendanD19

Con

BrendanD19 forfeited this round.
Posted by usawinseverytime 1 year ago
usawinseverytime
Ahhhhh the typical "cheerleading is difficult and therefore it is a sport" argument. Using this logic we find out that juggling is a sport, listening to women is a sport, and working in a mineshaft is a sport.
Vote Placed by SirMaximus 1 year ago
SirMaximus
ers2001BrendanD19Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited 4 rounds, and Con only forfeited 1 round. Therefore, Con wins for conduct.