Should Children Play video games for more than a 3 Hours?

Started: 11/2/2015 Category: Games

Children shouldn't play video games for more than a 3 hours because it can damage their eyes, they will not remember what they have learned in school and they can endorse violent behavior towards their parents, family, friends and teachers. Children should be allowed to play for an hour and do their homework.

Of all of the arguments against video game playing, I have never seen one claiming it causes children to forget things. In fact, mental simulation as provided by games may help them organize their knowledge.

As opposed to television, which is relatively mindless, playing a video games requires a child to be processing information and reacting in a timely fashion.

Some video games can actually be quite useful or helpful; an example being the Assassin's Creed games, which take place in historical locations and periods and have players interacting with famous figures.

It is true that many video games are violent, and those games should be limited to a mature audience, but parents know their kids best. It is, in the end, up to them.

TheDerpDebater forfeited this round.

I'm unsure as to why you chose to forfeit the round, but I will continue.

Playing video games for three hours a day is not all that unhealthy. What should be important is to make sure your child is having meaningful interactions with and within these games. For example, is he/she talking or interacting with other players? This is social interaction and important. In our tech-filled world, increasingly our time spent with friends is through a device of some sort.

Gunning down innocent people for three hours in GTA is not a meaningful interaction; racing through the streets with friends, is.

Some games foster teamwork as well; the Call of Duty Series' 'Zombies' game mode is nearly impossible without good cooperation.
Posted by VICIOUSDEMONS 11 months ago
i am a kid, and i play games for more than 3 hours, i play a variety, minecraft to call of duty to Bloons tower defense. my eyes are not affected, because my gma thought my eyes got worse, she took me to the eye doctor and my eyes we not affected, because when i play call of duty, i use snipers only, and they said my eyes were fine, in fact when i snipe a lot, my eyes got better because i have to look really closely, the one product that WILL mess up my eyesight and anyone else's is the OCULUS RIFT
Vote Placed by kasmic 12 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro responded to each of cons arguements. Con never rebutted forfeiting his final round. Thus arguements and conduct to pro.