LeilaAshley
Alexianilabrown

Should Children be able to compete in Beauty Pageants

Alexianilabrown
Started: 1/20/2013 Category: Arts

LeilaAshley

Pro

You are welcome to LOSE.
Beauty pageants are the only chances for academically suffering girls.
Boys play football; take that away from them" NOT A GOOD IDEA. Taking that away from them is like talking away their lives. I love science, if you take that away from me, I will throw a hissy fit right on this spot, if I were in love with pageants I would do the same. Girls who may be not good at maths, English, History, Geography, by standing on stage keeps their little mind happy. It is the one chance they have in life. Imprison these girls in a chamber with no soul, look at them, straight into their eyes and say "I wanted this". You will feel guilty for the rest of your life. Think about what you love in life, and imagine it dumped into a trash bag and down the garbage shoot! HERE!! My point is clear.
Alexianilabrown

Con

I do believe that some very interesting points have been raised about the wants and needs of children, which I must admit are arguments that I have not heard before. However what you have stated is just like saying that it is alright for a child to take drugs simply because they feel that it is the most important thing in their life. The beauty industry promotes an unrealistic ideal for a young women (and men) to have. I have known children who have been raised doing pageants their whole lives and they are often incredibly vain, selfish, and unaware of their place in the world. Yes some children will always perform better in certain areas, some children will do very academically while others will perform better in sports, and some children find it hard to discover their true talents. However it is very wrong for a child to grow up thinking that the only thing that they are ever going to be good at is strutting about on a stage exploiting their bodies. Children do not understand the consequences of their actions, they are not aware that Beauty Pageants are often followed closely by pedophiles, who love the idea that they can take pictures of young children in a place where it is perfectly legal to do so. Children should not be allowed to do beauty pageants.
LeilaAshley

Pro

1. A beauty pageant is place where a child can child.
2. I understand about the vainness, ect. though children will feel pride in themselves, but anyway you cannot change a child the way they are
3. What do drugs have anything to do with it?
Alexianilabrown

Con

A beauty pageant is the least suitable place for a child to be a child. Children should be in an environment where they are taught that their bodies are theirs and not something that can be bought. Some beauty pageants actually give cash prizes to children for allowing a group of adults to stare at their bodies while they smile and wave. Beauty Pageants are like prostitution except without the sex. Creepy men pay young girls money so that they can see their bodies.

Children should not feel pride for what they do during these pageants. Pride comes from taking something that you are not very good at and putting hard work into making yourself better. Many of the girls who participate in beauty pageants where born looking the way they do, and have decided that instead of doing something that might actually be good for their mental and physical health, such as working hard at improving their results in school, they are just going to do something that is so much easier and doesn't require any work to do. What those girls have is not pride it is vanity.

I disagree with your statement about not being able to change a child. I think that a child's personality is entirely dependent on the way that they were raised. Children who are raised within the beauty pageant community are raised in a way that leads to vanity and selfishness.

I was using the drugs as an analogy. You see in your first statement you said that if you take away beauty pageants you take away something that the girls really love doing. I compared that to a drug addict, just because a drug addict thinks that they really need and that they love their drugs doesn't mean that it is best to just give them cocaine. That logic is insane.

Beauty Pageants are not good for the mental health of any child. They teach children to not care about the importance of keeping your body as something that is sacred. They teach children that it is all right for people to stare and judge them based on how skinny, or pretty they are.
LeilaAshley

Pro

If a child was raised, vain, greedy and selfish, Then that is the way they were raised! But beauty only helps a little bit, if you ask a judge, they wont judge these children by their face, they will judge them by their confidence and categorical talent. You can not comment on CATEGORICAL TALENT, we all have gifts the kids choose what they present. A beauty pageant helps boost confidence and self esteem. How can you go through with life preparing for something which needs extreme confidence. You cannot even stand without your nervous system starting to burn.
Your analogy does not signify anything but addicts. A girl who competes in pageants will not turn into an addict. Even if I felt this was correct, beauty pageant (presently) are legal, but are drug dealers? (Who deal with cocaine/heroin etc.) If I were to read this, I would be able to understand the complete difference.
The MENTAL health, they can believe what they WANT, and if they believe in this then they believe they are pretty and will be able to walk straight through life with no problem. If you tell someone they are FAT, or UGLY, then they will have a problem.
Alexianilabrown

Con

There are many different ways for people to gain self confidence. Beauty pageants encourage children to grow up thinking that they always need to approval of others. It is not self confidence that is displayed in beauty pageants, instead it is children standing on a stage asking for approval from others. If children grow up in these sort of situations they become too obsessed with what other people think of them. So what happens when a child loses one of these pageants? Because they have not been raised with the appropriate level of self motivation they never have the chance to learn how to deal with rejection, this means when they are rejected (in any situation) they find it a lot harder to move forward.

Unfortunately you have completely missed the point of my analogy. I was not stating that girls become addicted to beauty patents, I was simply saying that sometimes things that people love are not really good for them. Since it is my view that beauty pageants are not good for children, this makes beauty pageants the same as the drugs that need to be taken away from drug addicts.

Having good mental health is incredibly important for anyone, but is especially good for girls when they are in their teenage years. Mental health is not just simply about what people think of themselves visually, it is also about how they think of the sort of person they are. Often children who compete in pageants will eventually grow out of that stage and mature enough to want to achieve something better. But because they have been raised in an environment where they are told that their most important attribute is their looks, they will often find it hard to find something else they can do well, which means that they often can feel shallow and inadequate if they don't succeed.

Overall beauty pageants serve no useful purpose to the appropriate raising of children. Therefore I think that it is clear that there no absolutely no reason why children should be allowed to compete in beauty pageants.
Posted by FirmCase 4 years ago
FirmCase
I must say LeilaAshley you're openingstatement is very clear and to the point but you are not making a very good Resolution. You clearly state that "Beauty pageants are the ONLY chances for academically suffering girls".
Have you not thought about the hundreds of young ladies we have in fields that they were not even though smart enough to be in years ago? Computer engineering and Science as adults.
As for the high school prospective there are tones of other things that young ladies have to do they have sports, they have dance, they have music and many more extra curricular activates.
Me being the age of 17 and only in a speach and debate class being able to rip apart an argument is the first thing we ever learn. You need to restate what you are truly looking at in an argument which for you're curent debate is unclear.
You're looking at:
"Beauty pageants are the only chances for academically suffering girls"
"Boys play football; take that away from them" NOT A GOOD IDEA"
"It is the one chance they have in life"
"Think about what you love in life, and imagine it dumped into a trash bag and down the garbage shoot!"
You are lookin into to many wide topics for a little debate that you do not even have evidence to back up any of you're words with proof.
There for you're resolution (opening statement) should have been something more like:
Resolution: What ways can a student with low academic success remain happy inside and out of their school environment.
There is really no clear resolution in this argument though.

~PHHS Debate and Forensic Team~
Posted by LeilaAshley 4 years ago
LeilaAshley
thank you to Koopin, and I understand what you are trying to say, zgb1997, Maybe 18 year olds would like to compete, I will include that in my next argument, thank you.
Posted by Koopin 4 years ago
Koopin
lol, the opening sentence in the debate is great.
Posted by zgb1997 4 years ago
zgb1997
Pretty generalized...the decision about a certain activity and/or the feeling the child has about what she likes differs greatly inside the 0-18 span. But whatever.
Posted by LeilaAshley 4 years ago
LeilaAshley
children, under 18
Posted by zgb1997 4 years ago
zgb1997
Define "children". It's not the same thing if it's a 17 year old girl, or a 5 year old girl.
Vote Placed by Deadlykris 4 years ago
Deadlykris
LeilaAshleyAlexianilabrownTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did practically everything wrong.
Vote Placed by The_Master_Riddler 4 years ago
The_Master_Riddler
LeilaAshleyAlexianilabrownTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro has bad grammar, especially when he says "Taking that away from them is like talking away their lives." Pro's conduct is bad when he says "You are welcome to LOSE." Pro's arguments were weak and were easily refuted by Con.
Vote Placed by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
LeilaAshleyAlexianilabrownTied
Reasons for voting decision: "You are welcome to LOSE" was not a very cordial opening line--conduct to Con. Pro's argument that football and beauty pagents are the only way forward if one is not academically talented seems silly to me. The world is full of "would've/could've" beens--only a small percentage actually make it in competitive sports. The majority of that group would've been better off aiming for college or working towards a technical trade or at least learning how taxes and interest and credit cards work. One doesn't have to be a genius to profit from an education.
Vote Placed by Luggs 4 years ago
Luggs
LeilaAshleyAlexianilabrownTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's arguments were better, IMO. Conduct to Con "You are welcome to LOSE".