haleylouise34
Philocat

Should Children be educated about child sex abuse in schools?

Philocat

haleylouise34

Pro

Does Child sex abuse affect the abused child's Education?
should we bring in specialist trained people in to schools to teach children about Sexual abuse, and understanding consent, helping them to understand what sex abuse is and how and who to report to?
Philocat

Con

I accept your debate!

Please state your opening argument(s).
haleylouise34

Pro

I think that if children are made aware of the potential risks at a young enough age they can be more prepared for disclosure should they become a target, I agree that it will take specialist teachers who are trained to deal wit the subject. Children need to know that it is not wrong to say no! they need to know what to look for and how and who to report to.
Philocat

Con

I accept that child sex abuse is a large problem, but I argue that it is unnecessary and potentially harmful to teach children about it in schools.
A school's prerogative is to teach children about core subjects (maths, science, English etc..) as well as help students with personal issues to the extent that they fulfil their academic potential. It is not a school's role to administer advice concerning crime (be it abuse, burglary or forgery). This duty belongs to the parents and as soon as we transfer it to schools then the role of parental education is diminished.

In regards to your advocacy of teaching about child sex abuse at a young age, I fear this would create an unnecessary suspicion of adults by children. Many adults who have good intentions and, say, hug a child, would trigger the heightened suspicion that children would have if educated at a young age. This could lead to many adults having their lives destroyed for a misinterpretation of their actions. I would also argue that children intuitively hate the thought of being sexually exploited and so education is not needed to tell them that it is bad.

To conclude, a minority of children are ever subject to sexual abuse and even in these cases, how could the victims being educated about it help them stop it? For the majority of children, child sex abuse education in schools will develop a culture of fear between adults and children that will ultimately be detrimental to the welfare of society.
haleylouise34

Pro

haleylouise34 forfeited this round.
Philocat

Con

My opponent has declined the chance to rebut my arguments. Therefore they stand uncontested.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
haleylouise34PhilocatTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture