Matt_L
Doughlino

Should Christians say the Pledge of Allegiance?

Matt_L

Matt_L

Con

I do not believe that Christians should say the pledge of allegiance. I believe that it goes against what the Bible says. I will be using the Bible as my main supporting source.

The specific portion of the Bible that I believe saying the pledge goes against is Matthew 5:33-37.
Doughlino

Pro

I did not read the passage you used as an example, but nationalism is not considered wrong in the bible, nor does the pledge of allegiance have anything in it that would be considered wrong. Jews in the old and new testament had extremely strong nationalism, to a point of jingoism! They constantly went to war with other nations in the old testament, and hated everyone but themselves(especially samaritans). Why would it be wrong to say the pledge of allegiance as a christian.
Matt_L

Con

The passage I referenced is from Jesus' "Sermon on the Mount." He says "do not take an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. Let what you say be simply "Yes" or "No"; anything more than this comes from evil." I don't see how saying the pledge gets around these verses because the pledge is an oath.

And, based on The Ten Commandments (Found in Exodus chapter 20), the allegiance or loyalty of a Christian should be to God only. I'm not saying that this is always the case, but it should be.

I'm also not saying that Christians can't be patriotic. I believe that a people, including those that follow Christ, should support their country, but Christians have already given their allegiance to God. Pledging allegiance to a country means that you are 100% committed to that country. Whatever it tells you to do, no matter your morals, you must do.

Side note: the Jews did go to war with many nations, but this was not because they thought themselves the best. It was because they were following orders.
Doughlino

Pro

Doughlino forfeited this round.
Matt_L

Con

I'm not sure what else to say...
Doughlino

Pro

Doughlino forfeited this round.
Matt_L

Con

I suppose I'll just restate my argument here...

I do not believe that Christians should say The Pledge of Allegiance because of a couple of different verses found in the Bible. I believe that Christians should support the country that has supported them, but allegiance is far more than support. Allegiance is a 100% commitment to something and, by definition, a Christian has already pledged his or her allegiance to YHVH.

I'm sorry that Pro did not want to complete this debate, but I thank him for giving his opinion.
Doughlino

Pro

Doughlino forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by OtakuJordan 3 years ago
OtakuJordan
Matt_LDoughlinoTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF, which is disappointing as I found the topic very interesting.
Vote Placed by dtaylor971 3 years ago
dtaylor971
Matt_LDoughlinoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit, arguments go to con.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Matt_LDoughlinoTied