pastellivvy
TBR

Should Civilians Space Travel exist?

TBR
Started: 2/12/2015 Category: Places-Travel

pastellivvy

Con

I'm doing a project in my English class, and saw there were no debates about this, so I decided I'll do my own.
The biggest problem with civilian space travel is that it would be extremely expensive. We have to consider that we need to make this happen. Everyone would have to own space suits, and lots of fuel would be wasted, and we have already a small amount left. Plus, we use approximately $9.928 billion dollars a year, and space travel will make the number higher.
Another problem is safety. We don't know much about space as we think. We also can't control space. What if a black hole appears, or an asteroid flies near us? We can't risk lives. We also have to worry about oxygen. If I Oxygen tank stops working, the person is dead. If we make oxygen domes, what happens if it cracks? We need to be careful about even part of this.
TBR

Pro

“The biggest problem with civilian space travel is that it would be extremely expensive.”

That point, in and of itself, is not a good reason to not do anything. It’s very arguable what “extremely expensive” is, and is lacking balance with tangible gains from the endeavor. I will come back to this point below.

“Everyone would have to own space suits”

Why would you think this? Everyone? Everyone is not going to want to go into space, everyone is going to be capable of going into space, and most certainly everyone won’t be doing it simultaneously.

“…and lots of fuel would be wasted, and we have already a small amount left.”

Rocket fuel is made of Liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen. There are arguments to be made about the input costs of producing these fuels, but not on availability.

“..Plus, we use approximately $9.928 billion dollars a year, and space travel will make the number higher.”

The $9.928 billion dollars is the entire NASA budget average over the last 10 years. The current NASA budget is almost double that at $18.724 billion. That number sounds high, but as a percentage of the budget, only amounts to 0.5%. At the height of NASA spending as a percentage of the total budget, it ran close to 4.5% of the overall budget. In adjusted dollars, NASA received $43.5 billion dollars in 1966[1]. Basically, we are spending very little on space exploration, and the benefits could fill an entire debate.

“Another problem is safety.”

Depending on how you want to look at it, I can make an argument that space travel is a very safe form of travel. At distance/death, it is near the top of the list. However, out of the small number of total astronauts (650) to use the shuttle, 14 have died. That is… well, not a great as a percentage, but if you told me it was 7% I would still be chomping at the bit to go.

“We don't know much about space as we think. We also can't control space. What if a black hole appears, or an asteroid flies near us?”

Well… ok. Let’s break this apart just a bit. A black hole forms when any stars die [2]. There is a lot more to this, but for sake of the discussion, that’s a reasonable description. Just traveling around solar system, we are not going to run into a sudden random black hole. Even if that were true, or using the “asteroid” case, if you are in space you are just as vulnerable as if you are on the earth! Perhaps more vulnerable on earth.

“We can't risk lives.”

Why? Why can’t we? We risk lives over so much less. War, even just driving around town, we risk life for the sake of going out for a cheeseburger. Why not space exploration?

“We also have to worry about oxygen. If I Oxygen tank stops working, the person is dead. If we make oxygen domes, what happens if

it cracks? We need to be careful about even part of this.

The list of things we need to be careful about fill books. The solutions fill storage servers at NASA. That we need to “be careful” is well understood, and addressed by some of the most careful, thoughtful, and intelligent people on earth. They want to be the most careful, thoughtful, and intelligent people OFF earth.

While this is a debate, I am happy to address it more as a conversation. I am attempting to keep the answers short, but would be happy to elaborate any point you wish. Ask away.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...

[2] http://blackholes.stardate.org...

pastellivvy

Con

pastellivvy forfeited this round.
TBR

Pro

Well, I am sorry you left the debate (or discussion) @pastellivvy. I think there is much more to think about when contemplating this question. About the worse of all possible reasoning for not doing space travel, or really anything that expands the human experence, is money. Money is artificial. Moving humanity forward is truly priceless. There is no way, and no need to concern price.

Jump back in if you come back around. So many things to see and know in our universe. We hang out in a very small part of a very big place.
pastellivvy

Con

pastellivvy forfeited this round.
TBR

Pro

Can't tell you how said it makes me that you have wandered off, still with the notion that black holes might pop up, or space travilers should worry about being hit by astroids.
pastellivvy

Con

pastellivvy forfeited this round.
TBR

Pro

GO NASA!!!!
pastellivvy

Con

pastellivvy forfeited this round.
TBR

Pro

We are traviling through space every day. Our craft is a planet.
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
I want to correct a typo. I said "A black hole forms when any stars die". Again, the subject of black holes is very big, but I was trying for a simplistic explanation, and still missed the mark a bit. I so don't want to confuse you, so please remove "any" star from your mind. Stars can die and most certainly NOT form a black hole.

This is a nice short read on the star/black hole subject
http://hubblesite.org...
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
I see now that you are 14. That is a good reason to put some restrictions on the debate.

Tell you what. If you don't find another teen to debate the subject with, I will take it with a promise to concede for voting if you like.
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
I cant accept because of restrictions, however, each point you are attempting to make is... problematic.

If you want to debate it with me, drop the restriction.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
pastellivvyTBRTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff