Vance34
BaconRanger

Should College Atheletes Be Paid

Started: 10/1/2015 Category: Sports

Vance34

Con

" It is well known that college sports bring in big profits to colleges and universities in the United states. Specifically the primary contributors are football and men"s Basketball. So, do the players in these sports deserve the big bucks or should they be satisfied with a scholarship that gives them a university degree? But then what about the waterpolo players, or the baseball players, or all of the women"s sports teams. Now think about this, how much would you pay to a powerful quarterback of a football team compared to a women"s basketball point guard. I make this comparison to illustrate my next point.

Legality,
What about Title 9? Title 9 of the US Civil Rights act of 1964 clearly states: "No person in the United States shall, on the basis of gender, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance". So paying only male football and basketball players could cancel federal financing assistance and possibly be considered illegal and stimulate some lawsuits.
BaconRanger

Pro

College athletes should be paid. Denying certain athletes pay is wrong, so all athletes should be paid equally. Instead of denying pay to any college athlete, we should simply pay all athletes an equal pay. If we deny these athletes pay that they have been using to live off of, they might have to get other jobs, which could interrupt their education or limit their time playing their sport. All college athletes should be paid equally for their time and effort so they have enough or close to enough to live off of so they can go along with their schedule un-interrupted, and for those who were taking a part-time job before, they could devote their extra time to their education.
Vance34

Con

Now what about the primary purpose of University, education! That is the dominant part of the school. The player"s tuition is already paid for and they are getting other benefits such as expert coaching and exposure to professional football and basketball scouts, if that is their ultimate goal. BUT if you pay them, it will take their eyes off the ball which should also include getting a university education. What if they don"t make it into the NFL or NBA. . Now they will turn to their chosen university degrees to secure meaningful employment. This is where college athletes need to exercise caution. There have been cases where players have been guided to take easy courses just to keep playing and meet the education requirement but will not succeed with a professional offer and won"t find a good job using the degree and courses they were forced to take.

One interesting case is that of Tim Tebow who graduated from the University of Florida with a 3.66 grade point average in Family, Youth and Community Sciences. However this degree does not provide his employment and say if he went back because he didn"t make it in the NFL he wouldn"t have a professional offer because of his the courses they forced him to take.
BaconRanger

Pro

My argument still remains that if college players who have been getting paid are denied their pay, they may be forced to take a job to pay for daily living. This would interfere with your main point: Education. I agree, education is the sole purpose of a university, whether it is athletic or academic. The players do need something to fall back on, and denying them pay would simply increase the probability of them failing in school. Players should definitely focus more on education.
Vance34

Con

That is what I am trying to state. Getting payed will take their eye of the ball and they will not have good grades. Now back to the main topic. So let"s say Title 9 is somehow resolved. Who will pay the players salary. Colleges get money from ticket and TV sales. But also pay big bucks on coaches, recruiting and uniforms.
Eventually the bigger colleges will be more fastidious and will the urge pay more money for the better players to attract larger TV contracts and the smaller ones will have less experienced and skilled players, before it was all equal. Then the smaller colleges will see sporting revenue decline and will have to raise fees or could go bankrupt.
Ok so how much would you pay? How much would you pay a jaw-dropping, proficious Heisman trophy winning quarterback? What would happen if a player"s performance were to improve during the season. What would happen then? Would those players want more money and try to change to a university that would pay more. Some players will be gasconading about how much they get payed each year. This can agitate other players and cause conflict.
Now, you would have players who are more worried about next year"s contracts than they are about passing final exams. And what is going to happen to the Idyllic students who just want to play for the joy of playing and are proud to represent their college.
So ladies and gentlemen, let me be clear. I am stating that college athletes should be granted scholarships but should absolutely NOT be paid. Thank you
BaconRanger

Pro

First of all, I admire how fast you can come up with a substantial argument and type it. Also, I have no way of countering what you said. Thank you for debating with me, it was fun, and also very nice warranting. I had no chance to counter your arguments really. I believe in round 2 you could've used more of what you said in round 3 and less of what you did say because even though it wasn't, it could sound like you're almost proving my point, but you finished it off amazingly. Kudos.
Posted by DATXDUDE 1 year ago
DATXDUDE
I disagree, but I already have too many debates going.