DogInTheBox
Dpowell

Should Common Core Be In Schools?

DogInTheBox

Pro

R1: Acceptance
R2: Debate
R3: Final Arguments
R4: Abstract Concepts

I will not accept any arguments relating to religion, doing so will mean I win the debate.
Dpowell

Con

I accept this debate and look forward to it. I'm sure that this will be a very interesting debate.
DogInTheBox

Pro

Common core is an unreasonable, creativity killing, and flawed system for the following reasons.

http://rightbrainedmath.com...

1. It is very left brained, as said in that post, a balance of right and left brain thinking is needed for learning to take place. As you may know, only seven states in America have not adopted Common Core, and it's for the better. This generation will inherit this earth after us, and many people would not like a 'dumb' America, which this 'Common Core Standard' is doing.

https://peter5427.wordpress.com...

2. It is bad for the brain, as many already know, memory is the fastest method to doing simple math.

1+1=
2+2=

You probably just solved that in a second, but Common Core does not have these type of problems, instead it introduces badly worded and confusing questions.

"Ben helps his dad make chicken soup. Their recipe makes 15 cups of soup. If they each eat 2 cups, and freeze the rest, will the leftovers fit in a 64-ounce container?"

In addition to that, many Common Core problems ask you to explain, 7+7 can equal 16 now if the student can 'prove' it. Sounds stupid doesn't it?

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com...

3. The human brain can only do so much, and analyzing and understanding is not possible according to the article. The Common Core Math books are filled with math questions that plague you with many numbers, and most of the time you need to read it 2-3 times for it to actually make sense, therefore, if such a confusing standard is on the loose, then it should not be in schools due to the creativity-diminishing and overly left brained quality of the State Standard.
Dpowell

Con

I'd like to thank my opponent for his interesting but I'd also like to point out that as Pro, my opponent is supposed to argue that it should be in the schools. If my opponent meant that Pro was against it, they should have been more clear in Round 1.

Section 1:
In this section I will go over some reasons why Common Core is good.

* It brings creativity back into education. Many teachers like to have their students do creative activities to help them solve problems, but they had to stuff them in closest or desk drawers because they weren't allowed during the era of NCLB testing and curriculum. Common Core will allow those activities to see the light of day again. This is because Common Core has standards, it's not a prescribed curriculum. It tells educators what the students should know by the end of the quarter, but it's completely up to those educators to give the instructions on how to do that. It's all up to the teacher how the class goes about learning what Common Core says they need to learn.

* Teachers have been required to teach 100's of different maths topics throughout the year, but Common Core takes all the non important topics off the list. This leaves only the important topics for teachers to teach. Before Common Core, students would move on to new topics all the time whether they finished the last topic or not. This really frustrated and confused a lot of students. Common core allows students to stay on a topic and actually delve into it. They are able to take the time to learn how to solve the problems and apply that to everyday life. Other education systems haven't allowed that.

*Common Core makes it required for teachers to give more nonfiction texts when teaching about a fictional text and vise versa. For instance. A teacher could have their students to read Assassin, a novel that takes place during the time of Abraham Lincoln's assassination, which will introduce them to a fictional character, but they can then have the students read newspaper clippings from that time.

* Like I said earlier, Common Core let's teachers take ownership of the curriculum. It allows teachers to teach students information that they deem necessary to their futures and in anyway they want. It also allows teacher to get together to discuss what isn't working and find a better way to teach the students. A big advantage of Common Core is that it's "common". All the other learning methods create too much variability with not enough collaboration. Common Core brings a lot more collaboration to the education systems.

*Common Core will create a challenge for all students, increasing the equity in schools. It will close the gap between successful students and struggling ones. It also lets schools all over the country teach the same things at the same time, so if one student moves to a different state, they'll be able to pick up where they left off. All the other learning systems wouldn't allow that. Common Core also allows teachers to better serve the students. They're now allowed to teach their students all the important information which allows them to move on to the next level of education and build from that information.

* Common Core readies students for college and careers. This is more appealing to parents and communities, especially in a struggling one. A recent ACT study shows that in a struggling community, only 31% of the Juniors were considered "college ready". With Common Core, students are taught how to think critically and to read texts for information and analysis as well as explain a mathematical thesis. With this kind of education, students will be able to easily choose which career path they'd like to follow and/or what kind of college they'd like to go to. According to the panel of educators, student success is the outcome that every education professional strives tirelessly towards, and Common Core, if implemented well, will help them a lot.

http://neatoday.org...

Section 2:
My opponent brings up the point that Common Core is left brained, which causes difficulty learning. This is false. One can not learn without use of the left brain.

As you can see in the picture above, everything one needs to learn is found in the left brain, not the right. Since left brain thinking is verbal and analytical which makes following directions pretty easy. Since right brain thinking is non verbal and intuitive, it's better for travelling and memorizing places, as it uses imagery rather than sound. But it really doesn't matter either way, because according to some research performed by scientist at the University of Utah show that peole use both parts of their brain equally. So the point of Common Core being left brained is irrelevant.

http://ucmas.ca...

http://www.livescience.com...

DogInTheBox

Pro

"As you can see in the picture above, everything one needs to learn is found in the left brain, not the right. Since left brain thinking is verbal and analytical which makes following directions pretty easy. Since right brain thinking is non verbal and intuitive, it's better for travelling and memorizing places, as it uses imagery rather than sound. But it really doesn't matter either way, because according to some research performed by scientist at the University of Utah show that peole use both parts of their brain equally. So the point of Common Core being left brained is irrelevant."

Which adds to my point that Common Core diminishes creativity. America's leading inventors are right-brained, the people who carry out the idea are left-brained people. If all the children are taught in this overly left brained style (There are no Visualizations, Holistic Thinking, Imagination, and Creativity involved in common core) then what will happen to the inventors that America needs? With the flood of left brained people, there will be almost no creative thinkers to help America invent new things for the people (and maybe the army) to use.

You have also contradicted yourself in the last paragraph.

"Since right brain thinking is non verbal and intuitive, it's better for traveling and memorizing places, as it uses imagery rather than sound."

Common core does not use imagery, it uses words.

"My opponent brings up the point that Common Core is left brained, which causes difficulty learning. This is false. One can not learn without use of the left brain."

I think my opponent worded this a bit incorrectly, as I did not say that you can't learn without the left brain.

"It brings creativity back into education. Many teachers like to have their students do creative activities to help them solve problems, but they had to stuff them in closest or desk drawers because they weren't allowed during the era of NCLB testing and curriculum. Common Core will allow those activities to see the light of day again. This is because Common Core has standards, it's not a prescribed curriculum. It tells educators what the students should know by the end of the quarter, but it's completely up to those educators to give the instructions on how to do that. It's all up to the teacher how the class goes about learning what Common Core says they need to learn."

http://www.teachersfirst.com...

I am currently busy with problems in my life, so the quality of this debate will go down as it is rushed. I am sorry for that, and hope to debate again when I am not busy.

I look forward to the abstract concepts as it will be one less task I need to do.
Dpowell

Con

I thank my opponent for messaging me and clarifying that the roles have been swtiched for this debate.

Section 1:
In my opponent's argument for this round, he said that I thought that I meant that he wanted to completely get rid of it. I said that my opponent claimed that Common Core causes difficulty learning, but it really doesn't.

Section 2:
My opponent says that Common Core takes creativity out of, but it actually brings creativity back into education. It's standards pose questions that get kids to actually delve into how they're going to do something. Questions like:
*How can I present this information?
It also poses questions for the teachers too. Like this one:
*What tools can I use to get my student's juices flowing?
As you can see. Common Core gets both students and teachers thinking creatively.

http://www.teachhub.com...

Section 3:
With Common Core, cheating will no longer be much of a problem. It allows teachers to care more about their students than the grades their getting. Other educations systems put grades over the well being of students, but Common Core puts the students health and well being first. So this means, teachers are more likely to give tests when they're actually confident that their students understand what they've been taught, and if they don't, the teacher will gladly help them.

Section 4:
In this section I will go over some facts about Common Core.
* Since Common Core has done such a good job getting more people thinking about college and their futures, all the states that have accepted it have all agreed to never lower their standards. This leaves opportunities for the standards to go higher and better the future generations. With higher standards, they'll work to strive more and could go on to accomplish great things in their futures.
* The higher standards from better educational performing countries had a hand in inspiring the math and language arts standards of Common Core. This means we're trying to adopt other countries educational systems. Specifically those that have a higher education and graduation rate than we do. That should be enough to get people to trust Common Core to get the future generations in college.

Math:
*Common Core standards on math are coherent and based on evidence. With Common Core, students will be able to see how to work out math problems and why they're done that way. That's more than the other education systems have done. The other's will give you the assignments and then continue to tell you to figure it out yourself. Now which would we accomplish more with? The system that walks us through the problems? Or the system that makes us do it all on our own? I think the answer is obvious.

Language Arts
* With career readiness programs and colleges focusing on overwhelmingly complex texts. With the Common Core standards, students will be able to read the overly complex texts. If they can do this, then they can succeed in just about anything they want. All they need is motivation, and they will find that motivation in Common Core. The schools didn't have a sense of creativity before and now that Common Core has been accepted in almost every school in America, they've become more creative than they were

http://www.corestandards.org...

DogInTheBox

Pro

Abstract Concepts Round

I like bacon cookies, what about you?
Dpowell

Con

Well I really take a liking to escargot but I really hate grapefruit. I don't mind grapfruit juice, but I really hate the taste of the fruit itself.
Posted by DogInTheBox 1 year ago
DogInTheBox
It changed soo fast
Posted by Dpowell 1 year ago
Dpowell
7 states rejected Common Core.
Posted by DogInTheBox 1 year ago
DogInTheBox
There, I've changed it so that the debate will be more interesting.
Posted by moneystacker 1 year ago
moneystacker
Only like 5 states originally rejected it including mine Texas. Most went with it
Posted by moneystacker 1 year ago
moneystacker
You could not broad the topic so much tbh. Anyone can find a flaw in the education system.