cbass28
Flyer

Should Creationism be taught in school

Con Tied Pro

cbass28

Con

No, in school kids should be learning the theory that has the most scientific evidence to support it evolution . Not a religious teaching that doesn't belong in school
Flyer

Pro

I would like to clear up a couple of things, the topic is that creationism should be taught is schools. By this I take creationism to mean that life was made of intelligent design (basically God). That taught means that creationism means presented to students in any way or fashion as plausible; theory or fact. And that school means from reception (or the first year of school depending on the system of education) to year 12 (or the last year of high or secondary school) in a public system where children from all walks of life come to get educated.

First of all I would like to say that quite a large percent of people do believe in creationism, and part of any free and fair society all belief systems of the general community need to be represented in a public system.
If you are religious and cannot afford to send your child to a specifically religious school, it is not fair that your beliefs are simply dismissed. IF you want to encourage people to attend school to get an education to become parts of society you need to represent everybody.

I am not particularly religious myself, however I can see how if I was religious how frustrating it would be if people again and again said my beliefs were not true and COMPLETELY RULED IT OUT simply because another theory has the MOST scientific evidence. A thousand years ago the theory that the Earth was the center of the solar system has the MOST scientific evidence against a sun centered solar system so it as dismissed out of hand, however a thousand years later it turns out that the theory that DID NOT have the MOST scientific evidence turned out to be correct. You can not say 100% that religion is wrong because part of intelligent design is that the design of life would be intelligent enough to create some mysteries for the curious mind. God could of created things any way that life is so therefore religion can explain everything that science can, its just up to which one convinces you.

Obviously the opposition believes the non-creationism side is more convincing, however just because you believe one thing doesn't mean you should say the other one is not worth mentioning, or worth teaching (in any way or form) when other people believe it. Of course you would think yours has more evidence because that is why you believe it however other people think that the other way is more logical. Today in my high school science class the class was taught how the dinosaurs died out. They were presented with the meteorite theory as the most widely accepted with the most scientific theory, however they were also presented with half a dozen other theories because that theory was only that; a theory. The other theories included a cooler climate killing them, new plants evolving so the plant eaters died out then the dinosaurs that ate the plant eaters died and a huge volcano. They were presented with all the theories so they could make there own decision. I would also oppose non-creationism not being taught in schools.

I too think that the evidence for non-creationism is more convincing, but I know some smart people who think that there is no way something as sophisticated as life could be pure coincidence, and perhaps in some ways I can see how the evolution of life being pure chance may seem more outrageous then being of intelligent design.

One last thing, I believe that creationism simply means that life did not happen by chance, in any form, one way of seeing this could be that evolution happened by intelligent design.

How does something so many people believe not belong in school, at least as a mention.
Give it as a CHOICE subject or as a THEORY in class. Rather then completely disimissing it out of hand.
cbass28

Con

cbass28 forfeited this round.
Flyer

Pro

That smells; does that mean I've won?
cbass28

Con

cbass28 forfeited this round.
Flyer

Pro

Flyer forfeited this round.
cbass28

Con

cbass28 forfeited this round.
Flyer

Pro

Flyer forfeited this round.
Posted by sherlockmethod 8 years ago
sherlockmethod
Default pro win.
Posted by RoyLatham 8 years ago
RoyLatham
Pro wins by default, although if argued he would likely have lost.

Creationism is a religious belief, but it is not confined to Christians. I don't understand the background, but there is Creationist support among a small minority in India. One can imagine other creation-type gods.
Posted by critterrice 8 years ago
critterrice
The title of this debate leaves a LOT of room for interpretation.
I would say this:
Creationism could be taught in a comparative religion class, but does not belong in a science class.
Posted by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
Agree with Roy.
Posted by RoyLatham 8 years ago
RoyLatham
Creationism should not be taught in schools because there is virtually no scientific support for the theory. The scientific consensus is 99.86%, and has been so for decades. However, if con makes no rebuttal, then the Pro case wins.
Posted by thethickgreyline 8 years ago
thethickgreyline
Its easy to say that creationism should be taught in schools if you are Christian, but what if you believe in another religion. Dont all religions deserve the same rights?
Vote Placed by mongeese 8 years ago
mongeese
cbass28FlyerTied
Vote Placed by sherlockmethod 8 years ago
sherlockmethod
cbass28FlyerTied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 8 years ago
RoyLatham
cbass28FlyerTied
Vote Placed by critterrice 8 years ago
critterrice
cbass28FlyerTied