Should Dad's be allowed paternity leave from work.

I believe Dad's should get paternity leave from work not only because it will form a stronger bond with the child but because Dad's are ordinary people turned into hero's by love. Although the Mother's do the child birth and bearing I believe both parents should get an amount of time off to bond with the child, but maybe the Mother should get about 1 month more due to the pain and hard work of childbirth.

Before getting into the argument, I would like to address that I am "challenging" myself with a harder debate subject. So, please respect my arguments as they may or may not be what I truly believe in. To begin, I believe a dad should not be allowed paternity leave for work. The reason why I say so is because the daily pay, the father earns, should be a fulls day worth, instead of a half day. Where the money is distributed to the family, which is far greater than abandoning the chance of earning that money. Unless the father is taking vacation time, whats the point in coming into work for only a little bit just to leave later on? If its to go to his son's baseball game, or daughter's play; a responsible father would plan ahead, and take the vacation.

It is not necessarily abandoning the money, there are other options out there if money is a concern. The father role is just as important as a mother role and by not having the father close to the baby at the first part of their life is like depriving the poor baby of their father. Paid vacation's are not the target of this debate so I would like to stay focused on the topic at hand. Although the mother does the hard work to grow the child (breastfeeding, changing) the father needs experience and needs to be there. For example, what if because of this the father misses the baby's first steps? How would the mother feel? The father needs to be there for his child.

I will agree in some aspects about the father being there for certain moments of their child's like; however, a father does not necessarily need to be with his child "24/7". The example you brought up with missing his baby's first step could technically happen to anyone, and probably has to multiple fathers. Also, I must ask the following question; "Would one small moment of his baby's life matter per say? Would it truly 'impact' the baby's life for good"? In reality, probably not because a baby, at a young age, is just learning about his or her own environment, and a father not being there all the time would not cause tremendous trauma for the baby.

The second question you brought up is how the mother would feel. Admittedly, the mother might feel abandoned at first, but she must understand that the father is working in order to help his family survive in society. To live in a sheltered home, instead of living the rain; which would actually be a worsened condition for the child, than not seeing the father for a short period of time. Especially to a baby, who does not have knowledge of the world, but still learning about his or her surroundings. Also, we must take the fact of when both the husband and wife got married, they had to say their vows. Also making a promise to each other when married, which is: "Do you ________ take this man _________ to be your lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold, in sickness and health, to love, honor and obey, in good times and woe, for richer or poorer, keeping yourself solely unto him for as long as you both shall live"? And when that promise is made, both sides will need to understand that both will need to make sacrifices; in this case, the husband needing to bring in the money for his family.

My debate does not mean fathers need to be with their child 24/7 so please stay on the topic at hand. Yes, a babies first steps for example is a milestone that only happens once in a child's life. It may not cause tremendous trauma for the baby but for the mother she will be disappointed that the father is not present for such important things.

You just admitted the mother will feel abandoned, that is exactly my point, this is why Dad's need paternity leave from work.
The father may be in a paid working order but if given the option I'm sure they would love to have paternity leave with their new baby. Even though the baby may not have a view of the world it is important to the surrounding mother and family to all be there for the baby. The promise made at marriage does not specifically mean fathers not getting time off, that is irrelevant to this topic.

Sacrifices will be made but if fathers were given the option, sacrifices would be made outside of the workforce.

As my opponent stated: "Sacrifices will be made", which we both agree upon on this debate. Whether the father gives up the time with his family to work, or give up the time to work for money to spend time with the family. However, this debate revolves around a debate of "Desired Fiction" and "Unfortunate Fact".

To begin, my opponent states that a father should be allowed paternity leave from work to care for the child. Paternity where it is defined as "Being a father" for the child. Being there when the child is needed, and supporting the mother along the way. And if the father is not there, the mother will then feel "abandoned". In my opponents final argument, it was basically a statement that the mother will feel abandoned. Showing a "Desired Fiction" in my opponents given argument.

While in my argument, I brought up the fact of needing the money in order to support the family. Allowing the father to give food and shelter to his child, which the child will need to understand this fact. Survival in any part of our current world lies under money. In the beginning of "Round 3" in the debate, my opponent admits that a baby will not suffer tremendous trauma if the father is not there. And like I stated earlier, when a child grows older; he or she will need to understand that the father will need to make sacrifices in order to help his family. For the mother on the other hand, it is admitted that she will feel isolated; however, we must look at reality, and not a "Wishful Environment". We all do not get what we want!

We must understand that in reality, most fathers need to leave at times. Examples being military, which many newly wed couples join, and are required to go oversees. Will the mother break up with the guy for doing his job? If so, why did they get married in the first place? Or, why did they decide to have a child, when the environment wasn't the greatest? In my last argument, I stated the vows of marriage; which my opponent believed was unnecessary; when in fact it does matter. Marriage is defined, by Webster's Dictionary, as: "The legally or formally recognized union of a man and a woman (or, in some jurisdictions, two people of the same sex) as partners in a relationship". If the couple is going to get married, both sides must understand that sacrifices must be made, and if both sides cannot understand that; then don't get married, or have a kid.

To conclude my argument, and debate, my opponents argument is about an environment where we all wish was true. And i admit, I wish it was true also; however, we must look at the facts. In my argument, I stated that a father needs to work in order to gain money for the family, and both sides must understand that sacrifices will need to be made. especially when getting married or deciding to get married, and the child will need to understand this, which is the parents job to notify him or her.

So voters, which side do you stand upon? A "Wishful Fiction Argument", or an argument with reality facts? Also, I want to thank my opponent for a great, and fun debate! :)
Posted by AveyC 1 year ago
Not important accept, or don't accept.
Posted by MagicAintReal 1 year ago
What is Dad's? Why do you consistently use "dad is" or "dad has" or "possessive of dad" in the contraction form as if it's a plural subject?
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: There were really 2 arguments being made here. On Pro's side, that the father would be missing out on quality time with the baby, and on Con's side, the father needs to bring in money to support the family. Pro did not refute any of Con's arguments that the father needs to support the family, however Con did refute Pro's argument. Con stated that both sides in a marriage agree that sacrifices need to made, and cites historical examples, such as men in the military. To summarize, Pro's argument was simply an appeal to emotion, as they were speculating that the mother and child would feel sad about the father not being there, and that this would be a big deal and lacking in the child's development. Con showed a logical argument, that someone needs to provide for the family, an argument that was never refuted by Pro.